im looking for a couple pedals i could use to get a steve vai-esque tone with my bugera 6260(no hate, please)

i need a distortion, an eq, and possibly some type of noise suppressor

distortion....

i know steve has a signature ibanez distortion pedal but i want to see what other options there are

i think i heard that steve used these keeley modded boss ds-1's is that correct?

ive tried 2 different digitech distortions(df-7 distortion factory and metal master distortion) and i hated them both... too digital sounding to me when played with high gain although i could get some nice crunchy sounds with the df-7

noise suppressor...

ive heard the isp decimator and the boss ns-2 are good

which would you recommend?

these pedals work by silencing everything thats not loud enough per se, correct?

what happens when i hold a long note until it dies, will it just mute it completely at a certain point?

what about volume swells?

eq...

never used one so i have no idea what to look for but the master eq on my 6260 is very limiting so i feel its necessary

im using a dean razorback db floyd for now
(not as bad as people say actually if you replace the pickups)

unlimited budget but be reasonable
Try the Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion, might be a much more natural distortion than the other two.

You might try using a boost with the 6260, like a TS9 or a similar OD boost to tighten it up. I wouldn't get a noise gate, it'll cut your sustain, and Via is all about the sustain. If anything, I'd get a compressor pedal to help make those leads cut through. I don't know of any compressor pedals, sure someone else could recommend one.

A noise gate works by cutting all volume once the highest frequencies reaches your set decibel level. It's like a two position gate, either nothing gets through, or everything gets through.
I'd say ISP Decimator is better than Boss NS-2 but it's also much more expensive, might consider your budget even though you say it's unlimited :P
For EQ, well I've heard that the MXR 10-band EQ or the KFK signature is pretty good, but I've tried neither. Also, some claim the Boss's EQ pedal to be good, the Graphic Equalizer GE-7. I've heard what it does, it does have an effect in the tone... one guy used it at the local guitar shop while he was testing various distortion pedals.
Then we move on to the distortion pedal.. Well, for Vai sound Jemini is totally the way to go, but yeah the Keeley-modded Boss DS-1 looks totally badass for that job too.
Holding a long note.. Well, ISP Decimator will definitely not affect your sustain much, the cheaper Noise Suppressors/Gates are the ones which don't work properly. But I have not tried one myself. Though, I'd definitely like to.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Mar 18, 2011,
Quote by ethan_hanus
I wouldn't get a noise gate, it'll cut your sustain, and Via is all about the sustain. A noise gate works by cutting all volume once the highest frequencies reaches your set decibel level. It's like a two position gate, either nothing gets through, or everything gets through.

wouldn't that mean that it wont affect the tone at all unless its below that set level though? from what ive read the isp decimator doesnt affect the tone at all when you're playing.

the decibel level is controlled by the threshold knob right?

how could i test the tl-2 with my gear without buying it first? dumb question i know but dont guitar centers and other stores have a restock fee for returned gear?
Quote by Sakke
Well, for Vai sound Jemini is totally the way to go, but yeah the Keeley-modded Boss DS-1 looks totally badass for that job too.

well the jemini was the first one i looked at getting... simply because this sounds ****ing amazing especially the for the love of god 7 string
Quote by rickyj
wouldn't that mean that it wont affect the tone at all unless its below that set level though? from what ive read the isp decimator doesnt affect the tone at all when you're playing.

the decibel level is controlled by the threshold knob right?

how could i test the tl-2 with my gear without buying it first? dumb question i know but dont guitar centers and other stores have a restock fee for returned gear?

Yeah, it wont affect your tone at all, it just cuts everything once the volume gets to the set threshold. But when you hanging those long sustain notes, it'll cut those out just like it would with anything else if you let it hang too long.

You can test one out by finding a 6260 up at GC, and you can take in your guitar, ask to test one of the pedals, and they should let you do it, even if your not gona buy it.
Quote by ethan_hanus

You can test one out by finding a 6260 up at GC, and you can take in your guitar, ask to test one of the pedals, and they should let you do it, even if your not gona buy it.

thats the thing, they dont carry bugera amps other than the V55's and some smaller combo's

i havent seen any bugera's at my local guitar center
Quote by GS LEAD 5
To be honest, I really doubt youll get his tone with anything other than his Carvin Legacy- the amp's voicing is a bit unique.

im not looking for an exact clone, im trying to get as close as possible with my current amp
Quote by rickyj
im not looking for an exact clone, im trying to get as close as possible with my current amp

For one thing, the 6260 is a very heavy sort of amp, not what you call smooth. And Vai's tone is SMOOTH. YOur amp's natural voicing is going to cause problems.

If you had a Bugera 333 it wooudld have been easier.

Definitely an EQ pedal. And try using your clean channel's Crunch mode instead of the lead channel- its probably toa ggressively voiced for Vai.
Quote by rickyj
thats the thing, they dont carry bugera amps other than the V55's and some smaller combo's

i havent seen any bugera's at my local guitar center

Then look for a 6505, the Blugera 6260 and 6505 are voiced very similar, cept the 6260 is a bit thinner.

Check this video out it shows the Bulgera 6262(6505+) up against the 5150 II(basically a 6505 +).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ghM952BB8
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Mar 18, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5

Definitely an EQ pedal. And try using your clean channel's Crunch mode instead of the lead channel- its probably toa ggressively voiced for Vai.

i HATE the lead channel on my amp, i actually MUCH prefer the high gain tones i get from my spider valve over the lead channel

thats why im looking for a distortion pedal

and the crunch channel is really noisy when playing with distortion pedals, hence the noise gate.
Quote by rickyj
i HATE the lead channel on my amp, i actually MUCH prefer the high gain tones i get from my spider valve over the lead channel

thats why im looking for a distortion pedal

and the crunch channel is really noisy when playing with distortion pedals, hence the noise gate.

You have to use distortion pedals on the clean channel, running it on the crunch channel is like running two different distortion pedals into each other, which hardly ever sound good.
Quote by ethan_hanus
You have to use distortion pedals on the clean channel, running it on the crunch channel is like running two different distortion pedals into each other, which hardly ever sound good.

i was using very low gain on the amp and using a digitech df-7 as a boost and it sounded fine... high gain on the amp and the boost got a half decent early metallica type tone

the clean channel and the pedal with a shitload of gain was pretty terrible. really thin and digital sounding
you might want to try a EH Metal Muff. this pedal has great violin style sustain and one of the best EQ sections i've come across. keep in mind tht steve also uses alot of different chorus and delay settings which affect the tone as well and often are used very subtly.