Hello!

So I'm planning on buying a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe but I have one little question :

Would buying an overdrive pedal be worth it over the "stock overdrive" channel ?

I would like to achieve this tone :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1BmOfhqx00

Do you think the stock overdrive is good enough (if you have already tested that amp) ?

Thank you!!!!
If you don't already have an eq pedal I would recommend getting one of them first
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
The Strokes use overdrive pedals anyway. That tone sounds nearly clean too. Just the slightest amount of dirt so you hear it on single notes, but the chords sound basically clean. I wouldn't use the HRD overdrive channel for that sound.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
The Strokes use overdrive pedals anyway. That tone sounds nearly clean too. Just the slightest amount of dirt so you hear it on single notes, but the chords sound basically clean. I wouldn't use the HRD overdrive channel for that sound.

Ja. When I tried the HRD the dirty channel was too dirty for me. Use a Jeckyl and Hyde on the clean channel for that light overdrive...
I make band posters!

Epiphone Special II, Squier Classic Vibe Tele-->
Toyroom Effects Louder-->
Boss SD-1, DD-3, RV-5-->
Line 6 DL4-->
Vox AC15c1
I have it. For that tone, I'd say probably not. I like playing heavy stuff (Metallica, GNR, etc) but I need a better OD. I guess I picked the wrong amp...
Quote by soulsablaze
If you don't already have an eq pedal I would recommend getting one of them first

You have to be ****ing kidding me.

TS, try the amp out, see if the drive channel works for you. I'm not super fond if it myself, but YMMV. Most HRD players wind up using pedals for drive sounds
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by alans056
Thank you, so the pedal I was thinking is this one :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgcssTHoEmo

Seems good for what I'm trying to get don't you think ?

It would suffice imo. Or you could get the Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde (look for a v1 on eBay) and then you'd have what Albert and Nick have!
I make band posters!

Epiphone Special II, Squier Classic Vibe Tele-->
Toyroom Effects Louder-->
Boss SD-1, DD-3, RV-5-->
Line 6 DL4-->
Vox AC15c1
Try out some Fulltone drive pedals, too. They have that indie-rock crunch sound as well.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
The HRD's distortion leaves much to be desired. You'd be better off getting a distortion pedal IMO.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
a tubescreamer set as a boost REALLY helps the drive channel come alive. i heard a lot about people hating it, but with the ts it is nowhere near the worst overdrive ive heard haha.

within the next couple weeks i will post a NGD with my fender and i'll put some clips up
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
The visual sound Jekyll and Hyde is too expensive for me, so I was looking for something similar but cheaper, si I found the Visual Sound route 808.