Page 1 of 2
Sup guys

before i start im not trying to troll you guys or start a flame war here, just expressing my opinion

anyway

Does anyone else think that old school/ classic metal bands like metallica, sabbath, motor head ect. are really over rated these days?

Iv just read the 'gibsons top 50 metal songs of all time' on the home page and i wasnt very shocked to see songs like master of puppets and paranoid sat at the top like they are for every other list.

dont get me wrong i understand all this about 'if it wasnt for bands like that we wouldnt have music as it is today bla bla bla. But lets face it, if half of those bands released the same tracks today they would be considered mediocre at best.

Personally i believe i could name at least 20 bands that should have been on that list and wernt simply because they didnt/ havnt sold as many albums or are as wide spread

Id like to hear your thoughts on this because it really is mind numbing to me to hear the same 30 songs by the same 5 bands named over and over as the 'best'
Quote by andyscoot
Metallica yes, Sabbath no.

this

and motorhead rules
Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
yeah i suppose i was wrong to say sabbath most of their songs would kick ass these days, still its always iron man or paranoid :/
I personally don't consider Metallica to be 'classic metal' at all. Just thrash metal.

Classic metal to me is: Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Judas Priest. And it is not overrated.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
that's because Black Sabbath arguably created the metal genre, take a band like trivium...sure they're better than Sabbath with respect to difficulty but they are shitty because how they haven't done anything new...just more of the same...
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
It was a case of right time, right place for most of those big bands. And as regards people naming them the best, 90% of metal 'fans' havent heard anything outside the biggest bands of the genre - according to people Ive met, anyway. I used to think it was just an Irish thing that people would be happy listening to the same four bands over and over, but it seems to happen a lot.

And it's not very surprising to see Gibson lauding some artists that just so happen to play Gibson guitars, its just marketing.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I kinda think that because of the market and industry of today's world, songs are almost impossible to make "classic". so in critics eyes, they arent good....Critics can be wrong.
Quote by the_white_bunny
yes an no they started it but compared to this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZVkk4CWq8k
its kinda weak.

preatty badass

i was thinking more along the lines of meshuggah and animals as leaders, which makes anything look kinda weak when compared too them haha!

inb4 meshuggah is just technical wankage with no feeling, the band is based off musicianship and groove!
This must be the end of the gene pool with very little oxygen dissolved in it...
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
meshuggah is awesome until it starts sounding more and more like "ok guys chekitout we can chug chug chug in THIS time sig too!"...

and a lot of pioneer bands get fellated for sure, i agree, its a case of "right time, right place"
Meshitgah have their own thread, talk about them there.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by mr7string
preatty badass

the man is a ninja wizard or something of the sort, i swear when he plays the drums its like he has 3 hands.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
being faster or more technical or heavier doesn't mean better. sometimes simple things can work too. and silly TS, you should know that those lists are just the most well known, so the average douchebag will care. if they had the real 50 best metal songs (which is of course subjective) then the average douchebag who takes those lists as law wouldn't know 90% of the bands, such as Emperor, Falkenbach, Bathory, Sonata Arctica, Bolt Thrower, etc, that naturally deserve to be on that sort of list. and those are all well known bands within the metal world as it is.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
my question is, why do so many people gravitate towards heavy music? why do people bash bands like Death Cab For Cutie or Brand New?

Also, if you want a savage drummer, check out Travis Orbin.
Last edited by HomeRecording at Mar 18, 2011,
Quote by HomeRecording
my question is, why do so many people gravitate towards heavy music? why do people bash bands like Death Cab For Cutie or Brand New?

well this is going to go over well.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by HomeRecording

hey hey not ever one is one sided when it comes to music.
minus the bear is all i have to say.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Did Black Sabbath just get called weak by someone who posted an August burns red song? Brb, suicide.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Last edited by CG Man16 at Mar 18, 2011,
I'm not saying i don't like 'old school' metal. I do like it. I just never understand what makes a lot of people think anything that isn't heavy sucks.
Where do these people come from?
Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
Quote by HomeRecording

Obviously because everything else is pansy shit with no talent. Best and most talented musicians play metal. Seriously, true story.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by HomeRecording
I'm not saying i don't like 'old school' metal. I do like it. I just never understand what makes a lot of people think anything that isn't heavy sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOI_XqLiQmE
Not heavy, but awesome. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't like any kind of lighter music.

Please don't try to pass off Death cab as metal.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Last edited by CG Man16 at Mar 18, 2011,
i'm not trying to pass either off as metal, just trying to find out why people hate bands like that. music is all about expression, not technicality.
Quote by HomeRecording

i dont really agree with the first bit, i think people try to push their musical boundaries and say they like the most extreme the best.

I do this a lot, my itunes goes band of horses, between the buried and me, city and colour and the contortionist haha

also travis is an epic drummer but i prefer Matt halpern just because he has more groove to his playing!
Quote by mr7string
Personally i believe i could name at least 20 bands that should have been on that list and wernt simply because they didnt/ havnt sold as many albums or are as wide spread
Do it.
Quote by strumandbang
Do it.

*clears throat*

all of the animals as leaders album should have been in the top 20
at least one meshuggah song
a few deftones songs
some early killswitch (with jesse)
a few protest the hero tunes
something by textures
something by sikTh
karnivool should have cote and something else up there
obviously something by periphery
between the buried and me
a perfect circle
Jeff loomis
tesseract
gonna go out on a limb and say the contortionist, just because exopanet was an amazing album
i see no mention on anthrax so ill stick them in there
gonna say after the burial should have aspirations
wretched
breaking benjamin just because they have some amazing feeling to their music
Lamb of god
unearth

i could go on . .
Quote by InvaderTSN
Old metal sucks. It's all about new shit like We Came as Romans and Born of Osiris. Anyone who says otherwise has bad taste in music.

*sigh*

i knew someone would say this

*brace for shitstorm*
Quote by mr7string
*clears throat*

all of the animals as leaders album should have been in the top 20
at least one meshuggah song
a few deftones songs
some early killswitch (with jesse)
a few protest the hero tunes
something by textures
something by sikTh
karnivool should have cote and something else up there
obviously something by periphery
between the buried and me
a perfect circle
Jeff loomis
tesseract
gonna go out on a limb and say the contortionist, just because exopanet was an amazing album
i see no mention on anthrax so ill stick them in there
gonna say after the burial should have aspirations
wretched
breaking benjamin just because they have some amazing feeling to their music
Lamb of god
unearth

i could go on . .

Holy shit.
Quote by Deplorable
Holy shit.

these generic responses are getting strange, are people agreeing with me or about to rage? :/
Quote by severed-metal

last.fm
Page 1 of 2