I'm thinking of getting a Musikraft body to fit my Charvel Production Model and I would need to get it painted. I do not really trust myself to do it and I already have a graphic in mind. If any of you UGers have gotten your guitar painted could you do an overview of the quality and the service of the shop? Thanks a lot.
this is the graphic if anyone is wondering

it is from sims custom shop but i have read many reviews which stated that he did not care about his customers and took an extremely long time.
Last edited by the hirsh at Mar 18, 2011,
WoW That is an amazing 'heavy' guitar. Awesome finish job. Sorry hirsh I know of none. Just keep cruising the forums and web; something will pop up, even if you have to ship it out.
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
So, you are after having a graphic (decal) applied and cleared over, or you want it PAINTED like that?

One will cost you a fair bit of money, the other will cost you LOTS of money.

Do you have a budget in mind?
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
well i have contacted one place and they said Illustrations and Graphics are $250. its not too bad for a paint job like that. if it was a custom decal it would probably cost a fair bit too so i would rather have it painted.
Quote by the hirsh
well i have contacted one place and they said Illustrations and Graphics are $250. its not too bad for a paint job like that. if it was a custom decal it would probably cost a fair bit too so i would rather have it painted.

Painting will cost miles more than a sticker with clear over it. Eddie will have to be airbrushed in, which will take time and cost money.

Where are you going to get the decal from?

I take it you are in the USA going by the $250?
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
would it be better to get the base painted in and then get decals for eddie, the crosses and the bullseye? would i be able to see the difference between it being completely painted and painted with decals.

and im in canada, but yes, it is USD $250
Probably cost like 7 - 10 times what the decal way would cost.

Edit:
I would imagine yeah, base coat > decals > clear coat = done.
With LOTS of sanding and buffing here and there.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 20, 2011,
ok, ill probably go the decal route. but i have a question. after the clear coat will the decals be higher than the rest of the guitar? because i dont think i would be happy with that...
The base is a sort of riveted panel effect in green.

If I were to do that, I would paint a black base, do the panel outlines and rivets in dark silver and black, then go over that with a green kandy (green clear coat).

Then I would apply 6 coats (two sets of 3) of clear poly and let it cure.

Then wet sand it back to about P800, wipe it down and apply the decals.

You have to make sure that the decals are compatible with the clear.

Then probably 6-9 coats of clear over that, then wet sand from 1500 to 2500 ish then buff it out.

That should level out the decals and give a mirror finish.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Last edited by Skeet UK at Mar 20, 2011,
hmmm... thats A LOT of clear coating... but only paint would be too expensive.
Quote by the hirsh
hmmm... thats A LOT of clear coating... but only paint would be too expensive.

More layers if it is painted!
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
ur in the uk so it would be impractical to send the body to you... but how much would you charge in both situations?