Bought a Epi Sg and i'm getting buzz on E & A 2nd and 3rd fret,neck relief is .015 ,String
height at 2mm first no dice ,then tried 3mm no dice , switch to 10's strings no dice
plays better at 2mm but the buzz at E and A , Argggggggg.
Any ideas from SG Owners?
Try loosening the truss rod very slightly, then lowering the bridge a little to keep the action normal. We're talking tiny movements here, nothing drastic. Lots of cheaper to mid-range guitars come with the neck too straight. Loosening the truss rod a little can sometimes help get more of an angle at those low frets, just enough for the lower strings to avoid buzzing. I've had three Epis which all had the same problem you're having and all were fixed by loosening the truss rod about half a turn (done in three steps).
Quote by grohl1987
Try loosening the truss rod very slightly, then lowering the bridge a little to keep the action normal. We're talking tiny movements here, nothing drastic. Lots of cheaper to mid-range guitars come with the neck too straight. Loosening the truss rod a little can sometimes help get more of an angle at those low frets, just enough for the lower strings to avoid buzzing. I've had three Epis which all had the same problem you're having and all were fixed by loosening the truss rod about half a turn (done in three steps).

More than 015 relief! I already turned it 1/2 turn to get the 015.
more than 015 is considered too much isn't it?
I can try a little bit more i suppose or No?
Might as well try it a bit more. If it doesn't work then you can put it back eaisly enough.

Basically the problem is that these sorts of guitars are made to sell at first glance. People want low nuts for low action, straight necks and large frets. Problem is people don't stop and think about whether these things go well together. Hence why you get this happening so often with Epiphones. The nuts are so low and the necks aren't designed for regular bow so the thickest strings always have trouble clearing the first few frets. You've either got to induce more bow than usual or you've got to get a new, taller nut fitted or smaller frets fitted. Increasing neck bow is the cheapest (free), most easily reversable and quickest of those options. You can lower the bridge again afterwards to keep the action reasonable at the higher frets. You most likely won't notice the increased curve of the neck while playing anyway, nowhere near as much as you'd notice a taller nut or smaller frets.
Quote by grohl1987
Might as well try it a bit more. If it doesn't work then you can put it back eaisly enough.

Basically the problem is that these sorts of guitars are made to sell at first glance. People want low nuts for low action, straight necks and large frets. Problem is people don't stop and think about whether these things go well together. Hence why you get this happening so often with Epiphones. The nuts are so low and the necks aren't designed for regular bow so the thickest strings always have trouble clearing the first few frets. You've either got to induce more bow than usual or you've got to get a new, taller nut fitted or smaller frets fitted. Increasing neck bow is the cheapest (free), most easily reversable and quickest of those options. You can lower the bridge again afterwards to keep the action reasonable at the higher frets. You most likely won't notice the increased curve of the neck while playing anyway, nowhere near as much as you'd notice a taller nut or smaller frets.

I'm at about .020 relief now,better but i don't think i should go anymore.
.015 should be more than enough to not have fret buzz on 2 and 3 especially with the action set as high as 2.0mm. FWIW, the NUT has nothing to do with your problem; if the slots were too low you would have buzzing issues with the strings played open. Once you fret anywhere on the neck the nut's height is irrelevant.

If you are fine at the 1st fret and 2/3 are giving you a problem then you might have a high 4th fret. Grab a credit card in good repair and use its long edge to span 3 frets at a time. If the card can rock back and forth over the middle fret then you know a fret is off somewhere. If 4 is high then 2/3/4 will not rock, 3/4/5 WILL rock, 4/5/6 will not rock.

If 4 is indeed high you will need to either tap it down with a soft faced hammer or file it down to level. Here's a quick youtube tutorial I did for a friend once to show just how easy it is to file/recrown/and polish a single high fret. I did this with a 3 square (triangle) file from Home depot that costs less the $5. I have dedicated crowning files but actually prefer the 3 square for its control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c527_CtazOQ
Same thing Happened when i bought a Epi SG a year ago. Then six months later it died. And i swore to myself i'd never buy Epi's Again and thats when i bought my Gibson SG. To Tell you the truth epiphones use to be great guitars but now there all pieces of shit. take my advice buy Gibson cause there good Qaulity .
"L'etat C'est Moi"
2010 Ltd.Gibson SG Standard 60's
Steinberger Spirit Deluxe
Roland CUBE 80XL
Fender Mim Stratocaster
Fender CD60CE Acoustic
Quote by webwarmiller
.015 should be more than enough to not have fret buzz on 2 and 3 especially with the action set as high as 2.0mm. FWIW, the NUT has nothing to do with your problem; if the slots were too low you would have buzzing issues with the strings played open. Once you fret anywhere on the neck the nut's height is irrelevant.

If you are fine at the 1st fret and 2/3 are giving you a problem then you might have a high 4th fret. Grab a credit card in good repair and use its long edge to span 3 frets at a time. If the card can rock back and forth over the middle fret then you know a fret is off somewhere. If 4 is high then 2/3/4 will not rock, 3/4/5 WILL rock, 4/5/6 will not rock.

If 4 is indeed high you will need to either tap it down with a soft faced hammer or file it down to level. Here's a quick youtube tutorial I did for a friend once to show just how easy it is to file/recrown/and polish a single high fret. I did this with a 3 square (triangle) file from Home depot that costs less the $5. I have dedicated crowning files but actually prefer the 3 square for its control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c527_CtazOQ

Frets all check good,maybe time for a guitar tech.
Quote by Lilttle Angus
Same thing Happened when i bought a Epi SG a year ago. Then six months later it died. And i swore to myself i'd never buy Epi's Again and thats when i bought my Gibson SG. To Tell you the truth epiphones use to be great guitars but now there all pieces of shit. take my advice buy Gibson cause there good Qaulity .

I would if I had the cash,just wanted to get a entry level Electric guitar and I ended up
with a project ,funny I bought a $99 Ibanez acoustic and i love it.
Quote by Lilttle Angus

What Died on it?
Quote by Flatestring
What Died on it?

Tuners, Pickups , and the neck warped and it had a horrid Ground in it and dont get me started about the fret Buzz.

Epiphone's Qaulity has went down drastically in the past 5 years. its a shame
"L'etat C'est Moi"
2010 Ltd.Gibson SG Standard 60's
Steinberger Spirit Deluxe
Roland CUBE 80XL
Fender Mim Stratocaster
Fender CD60CE Acoustic
Update , its at the repair shop and the neck is twisted from possibly a poorly installed truss rod and the frets are uneven. this guitar did have alot of decent reviews
but i took my chances and lost , hopefully it will get taken care of bu gibson
I agree with some posters epiphones quality has diminished.