I was playing too much this evening...Way too much. I'm still a newbie to guitar and when I get something going and into a song, it's hard to stop (can any of you relate?)

Anyway, I played for hours. Took a few breaks in between. Now my index finger on my left hand is numb and tingly. it's really annoying because it feels like it's a asleep. I keep massaging it and it's not helping.

What can I do??? It doesn't seem to be swollen or anything...

Sigh.
It may be an issue coming from improper technique, or just too much playing. Could you go into more detail? For example, what kind of stuff were you playing/doing, and for how long?
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Put it in some warm water for 10 or 15 minutes or untill the water loses its warmth, that should help a bit
Thanks ampoverload!

I was just playing basic chords (G, D, Em, C or something.) No bar chords. Possibly for 3 hours with breaks in between.

I can bend it and move it fine. It's still tingly and numb hours later though so I'm going to try putting it in warm water.

Sorry, I know this is a bit of a silly thread, I just wanted to to know if anything like this happened to any of you before and if it when away quickly.
Last edited by Light&Sound at Mar 19, 2011,
Quote by Light&Sound

Sorry, I know this is a bit of a silly thread, I just wanted to to know if anything like this happened to any of you before and if it when away quickly.

This is not a silly thread. We all get worried about strange occurrences happening in our body.

Make sure you have proper technique, because I don't think it's common to have numbness when starting to play. Otherwise, see a physician if the problem recurs.

By the way, I will keep playing a song over and over again when I just learn it, even if it's just one part.
I can relate w/ u. Got addicted to the Trigun Opening Theme. lol
Next days my left hand felt like it worked hard in a gym w/o warming up. D;
It's your skins reaction, totally normal. In a couple of days you're finger is gonna be alright and the skin on your fingers gonna be harder.
I'd say that if you don't have pain in your fingers as a beginner, that's when you'd have improper technique. It's pretty unavoidable. But in a couple of months when your fingers have adapted themselves you will be able to play for hours without problem.

Although you shouldn't force it! Keep in mind that you learn when you rest. You should stop BEFORE it gets too painful, otherwise you won't be able to play for several days. And where is the fun in that? Right?
I hate to be the guy to bring this up... but numbness/tingling in the thumb, index and or middle finger are all early signs of carpal tunnel.

Numbness in your fingers isn't considered normal. If it were me I would rest it, and take it easy for awhile. If it gets worse I would get it checked out!

http://www.medicinenet.com/carpal_tunnel_syndrome/article.htm
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Numbness/tingling can be a sign that you have damaged a nerve in your wrist, arm, back etc.

In fingers i guess its more related to your wrist.

In exp. unrelated to guitar, i had foot drop for a few months because of nerve entrapment in my back, i had numbness for around 4months and then the nerve was released.
This caused seriously horrible pains, so if you feel any pains.
Sharp pains in your arms, wrists, shoulders then you need to go to doctors right away.

Nerve damage can be really serious and permanent.

You may have really damaged your wrist or Just simply worked your fingers too hard but Good luck.

The guy above my post is spot on, as this is related to carpal tunnel also.
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Apr 6, 2011,
If you are getting that after only a couple hours, I would go see a doctor. I used to play for over 8 hours a day and my fingers were never numb.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
It's natural. It should go away quite quickly. It might be because you've been playing for an amount of time you're unaccustomed to. Sad fact is that it's best just to bite your lip and ignore it until it goes away. You should get some callouses soon though, which will mean that you will feel less in your fingers overall anyway, e.g. I can rest the fingers on my left hand on a boiling radiator but on the right hand it kills. Nothing to worry about, ignore the people going on about the doctor stuff.
Quote by Andalus
It's natural. It should go away quite quickly. It might be because you've been playing for an amount of time you're unaccustomed to. Sad fact is that it's best just to bite your lip and ignore it until it goes away. You should get some callouses soon though, which will mean that you will feel less in your fingers overall anyway, e.g. I can rest the fingers on my left hand on a boiling radiator but on the right hand it kills. Nothing to worry about, ignore the people going on about the doctor stuff.

Ignore it if his fingers we're just saw and tender but numbness is a bit different, and is commonly to do with nerves.

Nice to know your ignorant enough to give poor advice to someone which could potentially be more damaging.

Might be nothing but theres always a chance.
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Apr 6, 2011,
Quote by Andalus

DO NOT DO THIS!!!

OP, I would highly recommend never taking the advise from someone who is willing to and has put their hand on a boiling hot radiator!!!

There is nothing natural or normal about your hand or fingers going numb and tingling. If you get a little pain because your finger tips are sore after you played for 3 hours... sure ignore it chances are it's not a big deal. But when it comes to something like this, the best bet is to treat it like something serious in the begining. If it turns out to be nothing you've lost a couple of hours of practice no big deal. But if it is something serious and you keep agrivating it, you can cause alot of damage that will last the rest of your life.

I've shattered both wrists, I work on a computer, I play bass and guitar... I'm a bad carpal tunnel joke man. When I broke my right wrist I went 2 weeks before I ever even saw a Dr. hands down one of if not the worst desision I have ever made. Trust me you don't want to have to deal with arthrits, tendonitis, and or carpal tunnel for the next 60 years!

On the bright side with two bum wrists, I can predict the weather better than 99% of weather men. So I guess I have that going for me
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at Apr 6, 2011,
From a biological standpoint, you're crushing a nerve. If it's still numb, you did something not so good to it.

Go to a doctor. I'm pretty sure it won't be permanent (hell, dave mustaine ****ed up his nerves for a long time when he slept badly on it, couldn't even feel his hand for 3 months, and he got it all back). The body will heal itself, but you're doing something wrong I say. I used to get nerve-shots through my wrist when I played wrong, after adjusting it I've not had a problem since.

Put down the guitar, go to a doctor please.
: )
I had my fingers go numb when i first began playing. It was the tips though and i was playing some dirty breakdown or something over and over til i got it right. Dunno if its the same thing because mine went away fairly quickly. Popped up again the next day when i started playing again. Bit of a stupid idea i know haha. So i'd probably rest it for a day after you get feeling back. Just to be safe.
Quote by EndOfNothing656
Everyone can sing, its just some asshole who makes you feel bad and tells you to stop thats the problem...

Quote by randomhero93
ah I see that you're new here... so I won't be the one to slander you for spam.
Quote by Cjk10000
From a biological standpoint, you're crushing a nerve. If it's still numb, you did something not so good to it.

Go to a doctor. I'm pretty sure it won't be permanent (hell, dave mustaine ****ed up his nerves for a long time when he slept badly on it, couldn't even feel his hand for 3 months, and he got it all back). The body will heal itself, but you're doing something wrong I say. I used to get nerve-shots through my wrist when I played wrong, after adjusting it I've not had a problem since.

Put down the guitar, go to a doctor please.

To the 'OP'

On what this guy said also, if you get sometimes 'nerve shots' then your technique is damaging your wrist. As your only starting out should be easier to correct it straight away.
I use to get these nerve shots also when i tried to play fast with alot of tension for a long period, try to avoid doing this if you can.