I have about $500 to spend and I've been playing for about a year-and-a-half now, I want a new electric guitar. I'm looking at Fender Strats (my influences being Jimi, Vaughan, Mayer; to name a few) plus I like the sound of them. I just wanted some feedback as I'm only 18 and its a big purchase for me and I haven't really been around to play tons of different guitars. I want to have something basically between the cheap amateur crap and the professional line guitars, as I hope to use it for awhile. Thanks in advance.

Matt
Maybe one of the 'higher end' fender squires? I have a Westfeild LP copy that cost me £235 and it's absolutely amazing. I genuinely prefer it to most of the guitars (some costing up from £2,000 which I have no hope in affording in the near future!) I've played in shops lately. What i'm saying is, squires; particularly the slightly higher end ones are really great for the money you pay.

Yeah, the second guitar is a big step for anyone. The Westfeild I have now was a gift and it is the only electric guitar i've ever owned from new, except for a bass. But i'm shopping for my first 'self-bought' guitar at the moment, i'm looking at the lower end Fender Strats at the moment, around £450-£500. Big choices to be made.

Best of luck with it!

Rich.
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

'The dusty end, is not my friend.'
Quote by Metal_Ghost
how about the fender blacktop series?

I don't think he's looking for a humbucker tone.

For $500 you can get the MIM Standard Strat: http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Solid-Body-Electric-Guitars/Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar.site1prod501158.product
It's a great guitar, maybe later you can upgrade the pickups if you want to.
If you're willing to go used maybe you can score a MIA strat for $500.

edit: Why 2 threads?
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
Last edited by hansolo1106 at Mar 19, 2011,