I notice when I watch videos of John Mayer playing his black signature electric Fender Vaughan Strat, the paint on the body of the guitar is almost faded and appears basically chipped away. I'm kind of new to the guitar, but can it really fade away that bad? Even so, he's relatively young and the guitar couldn't of been through TOO much. Is it a style? I just wonder about it everytime I see it. Thanks in advance

Matt
Its the Pit here

Whats a Guitar ?
Ibanez AW200 ( Discontinued )
Jackson DKMGT Black
Squire Telecaster Classic Vibe 50's w/ Noiseless Specials
SX Bass ( Vintage Series Custom Hand Made )
-----------------------------
Roland Cube 30x
Peavey Classic 30----Boss RC-2
probably had it either aged or bought it like that. Players like clapton and SRV had guitars that had alot of wear but that was because they played them for 20 plus years. John mayer probably bought his that way or got it from clapton or some other great guitar player.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Relic job done to it...pretty much explains it unless he really beat the sh*t out of it.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Before the current polyurethane guitar finishes, guitars were finished with a coat of nitrocellulose. This is much thinner, and fades much quicker than a newer made guitar would. Fender still puts out a few models with nitro finishes as they're called, which means that someone could buy a new fender and within a few years of use have noticeable fading like that. And with someone who tours and plays as much as mayer, if he abused it, it could be possible. A lot, or even most, custom shop fenders are finished this way. There's also the relic'd fenders, which is most likely what mayer's guitar is. Fender purposely works on the guitar to make it look aged and old. Just for aesthetic reasons. I think it looks cool when done naturally, but I don't really like relics. That's just my opinion.

It's called a Relic, dawg. Fender Custom Shop makes tons of Relic Strats and Teles, as do many other luthiers.

They basically make the guitar look like its been through ~50 years of heavy use.
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
Before the current polyurethane guitar finishes, guitars were finished with a coat of nitrocellulose. This is much thinner, and fades much quicker than a newer made guitar would. Fender still puts out a few models with nitro finishes as they're called, which means that someone could buy a new fender and within a few years of use have noticeable fading like that. And with someone who tours and plays as much as mayer, if he abused it, it could be possible. A lot, or even most, custom shop fenders are finished this way. There's also the relic'd fenders, which is most likely what mayer's guitar is. Fender purposely works on the guitar to make it look aged and old. Just for aesthetic reasons. I think it looks cool when done naturally, but I don't really like relics. That's just my opinion.
This

As it happens nitrocellulose is now outlawed in California due to environmental concerns. They used to bring their American strats to the Mexican factories to apply the coating over there (cheeky bastids) and then brought 'em back, but if I'm not mistaken the American models are now made in Texas where the nitrocellulose finish is still legal. You'd have to look up the specs for that particular model to make sure what they used

That being said, I'm pretty sure he sands some of his guitars down too, supposedly because it improves the sound (but most likely because he has the money to buy lotsa expensive guitars and mess them up, and also because he thinks it looks cool). Dunno if it's the case with this particular model, but even if it wasn't "relic'd" by the people of the custom shop it'd be pretty easy to have the finish shrink on this kind of guitar: you can submit 'em to drastic changes in temperature (I believe a lot of manufacturers use heated rooms for this process). If the finish is really thin you could even achieve the same effect real quick by just putting the thing out in the sun for a couple of days (the coating is also likely to turn yellow-ish)

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at Mar 19, 2011,
Is 33 considered relatively young?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Momentosis
Is 33 considered relatively young?

compared to clapton, jimmy page, etc. it is.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking