Hey. In the market for a wah wah pedal. I've saved up quiet a bit and i want to buy a top end signature wah pedal. Right now, i'm considering these

-slash wah
-Jerry Cantrell Wah
-Dimebag Wah
-Buddy Guy wah

Which of these do u think is the best one. I want to stick with Dunlop wahs. If u guys know any other good signature wahs, please let me know.
look at the steve vai bad horsie wah..
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
The standard Crybabies aren't that great, unless they're modded.

What's your budget TS, and what sort of styles do you play? For a high end wah, I'd check out;
-MXR/CAE MC404
-RMC (there are a few different models)
-Fulltone Clyde

If you have to go Dunlop, or your budget isn't enough for the others I listed, the Crybaby 535Q is probably your best bet.
Last edited by littlephil at Mar 19, 2011,
i was looking at a signature wah more than anything. i just wanted to know which ones are good and which are bad. I've been leaning towards the slash wah
Signature pedals in general are overpriced because they put a name on it. You can get a better wah than any of the Crybabies (IMO) in the CAE, and it isn't much more expensive.
All of the signature Dunlop wahs are really meh. The Standard is the most attractive option due to easy modding. I picked up another today and had it sounding pretty good with $3 in parts and 15 minutes of work. Once my new inductor comes in and I remove the buffer/make it true bypass, it should easily hang with my Fulltone, maybe even better since I've made some tweaks to accommodate for my tastes.

If you don't want to have to do any mods, the MXR/CAE MC404 and the RMC stuff is the best on the market IMO.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Custom Audio Electronics (which is still made by Dunlop/MXR, but its a collaboration with Bob Bradshaw, and its better than their other pedals)
Look at the prices and online reviews.
It seems the most widely praised wah pedals are RMC Teese wahs. They retail for about £20 more than a Buddy Guy sig wah.
Your choice though.
hmm
the boutique pedals are bit above price range

which of these are really good
jerry cantrell wah
slash wah
buddy guy wah
Quote by fretshredda
hmm
the boutique pedals are bit above price range

which of these are really good
jerry cantrell wah
slash wah
buddy guy wah

Dude, why does it have to be a signature wah? Morley do some pretty cool wah's too (I tried a power wah a few years back and as far as I remember that was pretty good, and cheaper than those signature pedals too).
He just has to be a fan boy!

TS it has nothing to do with whether they are really good or not. It has to do with what you play!

Here is a link for the CAE Crybaby
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXR-MC404-CAE-Crybaby-Dual-Inductor-Wah-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=582116

And as you can see it is the same price as the Slash wah and is much more versatile.
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Mar 19, 2011,
MXR MC404 CAE Crybaby Dual Inductor Wah Guitar Effects Peda

Jerry Cantrell Wah. Which one

Also, do mention build quality. I want this thing to last a long time
You want the world out of this pedal don't you. Do you really need a wah? It sounds like you don't understand anything about them and just want to one because it has someone's name on it.

Please go try them out for yourself!
Just because I or anyone else says to go with one of those wahs (even though I haven't tried any of the wah's other than the 535Q) doesn't mean that the others aren't any better for what you like.

There are also other brands other than Crybaby you know. Some with signature models as well if you just have to have one.
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Mar 20, 2011,
actually, i really really want a pedal. I love the sound and i would like to incorporate it with my playing. I would love to go and try them out, but very few stores in Australia stock the medium-high end ones. I am buying it off the internet from america and the only way to get a good idea as to which ones are good is off the net too.
i know there are other makes than crybaby. crybabies just happen to be within budget.
CAE will probably be your best bet without trying them, since its the most versatile.
EDIT
Otherwise you'll end up with one of the other hate them and won't be able to do anything about it.

The CAE will give you more options to find a sound you like.
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Mar 20, 2011,
contact greeny23, I'm sending him a shipment of GCB=95's for him to mod and he can make it your own signature wah pedal for a extremely reasonable price

EDIT: here's his site http://www.toyroomguitareffects.com
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Last edited by lbj273 at Mar 20, 2011,
Thought about the 535q ? that's VERY Versatile
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

Hhmmm the signature models. The Dimebag wah is pretty good, pretty versatile. The VOX Satriani wah is also very versatile, the inductor(s) is switchable between a more vintage/pukey tone to a more "trumpet mute" creamy tone...
I personally use my own signature!
Seriously though, modding a GCB95 can turn it into your own awesome wah super easily...

EDIT: And the dimebag wah is basically a 535Q with one mod...
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Quote by fretshredda
Hey. In the market for a wah wah pedal. I've saved up quiet a bit and i want to buy a top end signature wah pedal. Right now, i'm considering these

-slash wah
-Jerry Cantrell Wah
-Dimebag Wah
-Buddy Guy wah

Which of these do u think is the best one. I want to stick with Dunlop wahs. If u guys know any other good signature wahs, please let me know.

i have the jimi hendrix wah, great. You forgot to mention the EVH wah, that is the one I want, great sounding wah
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Get the dunlop gcb95. Fasel inductors ftw

I have the slash and it's overpriced and the distortion is next to useless

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
can someone tell me how to mod a wah, i really like the cantrell wah and the tone controller but i would like to know how to make my own unique wah seeing as everyone says it's a great thing to do
Dude, why even bother buying a wah in australia. you are gonna get ripped off.

Do yourself a favour and get an RMC wah from overseas. Best bang for buck that way.
who said i'm buying from australia. Instrument mark up here is absolutely Bulls***t. i'm buying it from the states. i'm prolly gonna get it from proguitarshop, they are slightly higher priced but i think they are the safest company to go with
i've got a crybaby slash signature and i think it's great. main reason i bought it was because i wanted a wah pedal made out of metal, so i can really kick it in without worrying about the pedal holding it. at the time i was buying it it would've been eigther slash's or zakk wylde's or the crybaby slash signature because i preferred the red.

just a site note the distortion circuit on the slash crybaby sucks a lot. in my humble opinion at least, it sounds like an solid state turned up completely with gain. i just leave that off. the volume and gain knob on the slash pedal do help however just let's you choose if you want you're volume up in the wah wah parts or down/the same.

other than that you just have to find yourself a wah you like. for me it was definitly the crybaby while other may prefer a vox or even something else.
Last edited by wolvenrick at Mar 21, 2011,
Quote by wolvenrick
i've got a crybaby slash signature and i think it's great. main reason i bought it was because i wanted a wah pedal made out of metal, so i can really kick it in without worrying about the pedal holding it. at the time i was buying it it would've been eigther slash's or zakk wylde's or the crybaby slash signature because i preferred the red.

just a site note the distortion circuit on the slash crybaby sucks a lot. in my humble opinion at least, it sounds like an solid state turned up completely with gain. i just leave that off. the volume and gain knob on the slash pedal do help however just let's you choose if you want you're volume up in the wah wah parts or down/the same.

other than that you just have to find yourself a wah you like. for me it was definitly the crybaby while other may prefer a vox or even something else.

All the Crybabys are made out of metal. That shouldn't have been a factor in choosing the Slash wah.
mark tremontti power wah? i have one of the older all black ones. man that thing is a tank and it has a adjustable wah boost on it (which i dont use) but its cool none the less
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Dude get the MXR/CAE MC-404 I think it's probably the best wah pedal ever!
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
ESP: H-1001
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Digitech DT Whammy
Ibanez Sweeping Demon
Earthquake Bit Commander
Tone Mob Model 001 Fuzz Generator
DOD Bone Shaker
Stomp Under Foot Sonic Warfare
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
hmm, cantrell or CAE. i'm not even a big AIC fan, it's just that wah is delicous and i really dig the tone controller on the side
Quote by WtrPlyr

I can vouch for this wah, its a pretty sick wah

EDIT:
Quote by fretshredda
who said i'm buying from australia. Instrument mark up here is absolutely Bulls***t. i'm buying it from the states. i'm prolly gonna get it from proguitarshop, they are slightly higher priced but i think they are the safest company to go with

I would definitely get in touch with Tim (greeny23) he's also in Australia and you will be able to get a modded wah for less than a buying a boutique wah from the US
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Last edited by lbj273 at Mar 22, 2011,
i can vouch for the Dimebag signature wah in relation to admitting its the sickest wah i tried out of all the ones you posted. its basically a 535q but with an extra knob for some sorta customizability and comes with the sick camo graphics and grip-tape pedal. it is definatly the most versatile of your choices
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Sputnik1
All the Crybabys are made out of metal. That shouldn't have been a factor in choosing the Slash wah.

hmm strange that they were plastic when i was in the store then? cliché to say this with a eye to vietnam; you aint been there.
^ All the Crybaby models are made from metal. Your shop doesn't get a special consignment.
Quote by bogg808
He probably thought the behringer was a dunny wah

Haha, funny you mention the Behringer, that's what's on my board.
Looking at the rest of my pedal collection, I think it's time to upgrade my wah.