Page 1 of 2
What's the Pit's opinion on the Make-A-Wish Foundation?
I mean, on one hand, helping to fulfill a dying child's dream is great....
But on the other hand, and this sounds really harsh and cruel, the money could be better spent.
By doing some ace detective work (going to their website), I was able to ascertain that the average wish, as of March '09, costs 7,362USD.
I don't know how many wishes were granted it total, but that's a few metric assloads of money that could have been used to save lives rather than give joy to those that are about to end.
I know I sound like a giant dickhead now, like a guy who is trying to prevent dying children from having fun ever again, but isn't saving lives just more important?

Discuss.

TL;DR I'm a giant dickhead looking to suck fun from dying children.

Now that that's out of the way, serious opinions anyone?
The children would really appreciate it. It's their last joy.

Furthermore, the healthcare system takes care of the unfortunate who suddenly need some urgent care. At least it does so most western European countries. I don't know much about the medicaid system, but a lot of your budget money goes into it. (It's only a few billion dollar less than the military budget.) How does the medicaid actually work?

Also, you could donate to more than one charity.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Yeah, maybe it could be spent on other things, but these kids are never going to get the chance to do any of these things on their own. And you know, if some poor (literally poor) kid with terminal cancer wants to go to Disneyland and Disney won't let them go for free, then I think that the charity is a good way to make it work for everyone.
Quote by Lots O' FX
There's a guy named, I shit you not, Hunter Goldhammer. I have never met him, I only heard his name over the PA, but I assume he's a dwarf paladin.

Quote by skwelcher
I'm like the real life version of the socially awkward penguin.
whos to say we arent all dying? they are just dying sooner, so why not give them a lifes worth of joy in the shorter amount of time?
The Make-A-Wish foundation doesn't only give stuff to dying kids. I know a girl who had cancer and she got to make a wish (I'm not sure what she actually did though) and she's still alive today.
I don't think its a waste either, and its not like people are forced to give them money either
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
whos to say we arent all dying? they are just dying sooner, so why not give them a lifes worth of joy in the shorter amount of time?

That's an inconsequential point, and by your logic, life is a terminal disease, and hence everybody between 2.5 and 17 years of age qualifies for the Foundation.
Quote by littlephil
The Make-A-Wish foundation doesn't only give stuff to dying kids. I know a girl who had cancer and she got to make a wish (I'm not sure what she actually did though) and she's still alive today.
I don't think its a waste either, and its not like people are forced to give them money either

I got the impression from their website that they only grant wishes to those patients whom the doctor says are likely to die.
Quote by trueamerican

That's an inconsequential point, and by your logic, life is a terminal disease, and hence everybody between 2.5 and 17 years of age qualifies for the Foundation.

who said life was a terminal disease. who says you can be dying? who says you arent always just living and you die, not a prolonged dying. so kids who dont get to live as long and suffer crappy lives should get a little going away wish
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
who said life was a terminal disease. who says you can be dying? who says you arent always just living and you die, not a prolonged dying. so kids who dont get to live as long and suffer crappy lives should get a little going away wish

I'm quoting you here: "whos to say we arent all dying? they are just dying sooner, so why not give them a lifes worth of joy in the shorter amount of time?"

What you said is that life is a terminal illness, but these kids are dying sooner.

And I'm NOT saying these kids don't deserve a break. On my personal priority list, saving lives is somewhere above giving a terminally ill child pleasure and somewhere below finding my last goddam pick that I dropped on my floor I don't understand where the **** it could possibly be I looked everywhere.
It's not a waste. I see your point, but if it was your kid dying of cancer and you had no money... would you see it as a waste?

Think about it.

What we need to do is cut defense spending in half (or more) and end the drug war entirely. THAT would save lives.
Quote by WNxScythe
It's not a waste. I see your point, but if it was your kid dying of cancer and you had no money... would you see it as a waste?

Think about it.

What we need to do is cut defense spending in half (or more) and end the drug war entirely. THAT would save lives.

Bolded is not the point and is pretty irrelevant. Post your political opinions in another thread. I want to stay on topic.

And your comment about it being my kid, that's counter-intuitive. Imagining yourself in the situation is the worst way to make a rational, logical decision.

I'm not asking if this is worth the money in the smiles they bring to the child's face.
I'm sure there are plenty of ways to donate for saving lives too.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by trueamerican
I got the impression from their website that they only grant wishes to those patients whom the doctor says are likely to die.

Maybe its different in Australia then. Here I'm pretty sure its just if they have a serious condition, but not necessarily lethal (cancer, leukaemia etc)
Quote by metal_cobs
From my utilitarian leaning perspective it does seem like a waste.
I also don't understand what the purpose of granting a child their last "wish" does for the child.
If I were dying the last thing I would want is a reminder of how much awesomeness I'm leaving behind.
Any thoughts?

didn't think about that

that would upset me pretty bad
There are plenty of charities that cover all aspects. If people want to donate their money to give a child their dieing wish then good on them. You can't just say "NO YOU MUST DONATE TO THIS CHARITY"

It's their money they can do as they please with it.
Where does the money that's spent on each child go?

Well, it obviously goes to whoever is providing whatever is needed to make the child's wish come true, people who have built up businesses that just happen to be in the right place at the right time depending upon the wish being fulfilled. They in turn often have employees, people who have families to support, who spend the money on food in supermarkets or fuel to keep them warm in winter or even luxury items.... all bought from firms and companies that employ people, people who have families to support, ect, ect.

It's called an economy, the money goes around and around, so long as the money stays in the economy, it is never really wasted, unless of course it's spent on something that causes suffering to others.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Mar 19, 2011,
Willpower, optimism and something to live for usually makes some kids stronger in order to beat cancer.. It has happened numerous times and will keep happening.. I'm not saying that seeing Madonna or Lady Gaga in a Prosciutto helmet is doing that but hey, at least it's something optimistic and makes em happy.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
I used to have this quote in my sig for the longest time: "There's no point in living if you can't feel alive." - 007, The World is Not Enough

By far my favorite quote of all time, and I think it makes a very valid point.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I kinda agree with you TS, but the way I see it:

People choose to give their money to the charity, because they want to make terminally-ill children happy. They're not giving their money to other charities: perhaps they don't give to charities for homelessness and drug abuse because they think it's the people concerned who are to blame, and they don't give to certain medical charities because they oppose animal testing. So it's their money and you shouldn't judge them for choosing to give to one charity rather than another.
My niece and her family benefited from a Make-a-Wish foundation grant for a trip to Disney World. She was 13 and had bone cancer. It was the only happy moment in her final 6 months for her and her parents.
Thank you Make-a-Wish.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
My niece and her family benefited from a Make-a-Wish foundation grant for a trip to Disney World. She was 13 and had bone cancer. It was the only happy moment in her final 6 months for her and her parents.
Thank you Make-a-Wish.

How can anyone call that a waste of money?
i saw something quite amusing on a Keech hospice foundation (terminal kids) poster. It was advertising a midnight walk, and then i saw it...

Keech Cottage Midnight Walk

Sponsored by co-operative Funeralcare

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by SlackerBabbath
How can anyone call that a waste of money?

You would have to be a heartless bastard.

Quote by Silver-spear94
i saw something quite amusing on a Keech hospice foundation (terminal kids) poster. It was advertising a midnight walk, and then i saw it...

Keech Cottage Midnight Walk

Sponsored by co-operative Funeralcare

That's too funny.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Like people have said, it's your choice if you want to donate, no-one's forcing you to. I, personally, think that it isn't a waste of money, these people might have less than six months to live and they won't experience the joys that someone who has lived to forty or fifty might, so there's nothing wrong with trying to make their last moments joyous. It's a completely heartless thing to say that it's pointless.
Quote by Milesthedude
If you're havin' room problems I feel bad for you son,
I got 99 problems but a room ain't one.

Artist of the Month: Mic Righteous

Birmingham City FC

Carling Cup Winners 2011
Quote by longman240
Like people have said, it's your choice if you want to donate, no-one's forcing you to. I, personally, think that it isn't a waste of money, these people might have less than six months to live and they won't experience the joys that someone who has lived to forty or fifty might, so there's nothing wrong with trying to make their last moments joyous. It's a completely heartless thing to say that it's pointless.

You make it sound like 40 or 50 is the end of the road.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58

That's exactly what I was thinking.

It must be our age.
Quote by Jackal58

I re-read it and it did sound like that but I couldn't be bothered to change it.
Quote by Milesthedude
If you're havin' room problems I feel bad for you son,
I got 99 problems but a room ain't one.

Artist of the Month: Mic Righteous

Birmingham City FC

Carling Cup Winners 2011
Quote by nargoth

That's not funny on any level.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
That's not funny on any level.

Agreed.
Last edited by tyler_j at Mar 20, 2011,
I don't know who funds the Make a Wish foundation but if anyone is worried about taxpayer dollars, $7000 is still far less than the public money applied to a person who has lived a longer life.

I don't really care about the money though. If you can make a kid happy in his/her final moments than I think it's more than worth it.

edit: durr for some reason I thought it was a public program.
Last edited by Masamune at Mar 20, 2011,
Quote by trueamerican
I'm quoting you here: "whos to say we arent all dying? they are just dying sooner, so why not give them a lifes worth of joy in the shorter amount of time?"

What you said is that life is a terminal illness, but these kids are dying sooner.

And I'm NOT saying these kids don't deserve a break. On my personal priority list, saving lives is somewhere above giving a terminally ill child pleasure and somewhere below finding my last goddam pick that I dropped on my floor I don't understand where the **** it could possibly be I looked everywhere.

I might be going to hell for this... but I laughed so hard at that statement.

Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

It's not the sort of charity I'd give money to, but other people care about different things.
Quote by trueamerican
What's the Pit's opinion on the Make-A-Wish Foundation?
I mean, on one hand, helping to fulfill a dying child's dream is great....
But on the other hand, and this sounds really harsh and cruel, the money could be better spent.
By doing some ace detective work (going to their website), I was able to ascertain that the average wish, as of March '09, costs 7,362USD.
I don't know how many wishes were granted it total, but that's a few metric assloads of money that could have been used to save lives rather than give joy to those that are about to end.
I know I sound like a giant dickhead now, like a guy who is trying to prevent dying children from having fun ever again, but isn't saving lives just more important?

Discuss.

TL;DR I'm a giant dickhead looking to suck fun from dying children.

Now that that's out of the way, serious opinions anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Surely, if you feel that your money could be better used by a different charity, then you could just donate to a different charity. This one is for people who feel strongly about this particular subject, and these people may not necessarily feel strong enough about other causes to donate their own money towards them, if they weren't already contributing to Make-A-Wish. It's not 'wasted' at all.
In the days of darkness men feared not the sword and the lance
Nor did he fear the beast of fire... He feared...
THE AXEMAN!!

The Earth is covered in ash and our lungs have filled with worms...
Page 1 of 2