Hey guys,

Now before you say anything its not me who is trying to be an ass and replicate someone's tone, I all ready have my own tone but my friend asked me to put this up and payed me 50 bucks so im doing it

Well what I was trying to say in the headline is that my friend is a lead guitar player who loves metallica. now he tolled me that he thinks that 90 percent of the tone comes from james hetfield. Is it possible to get a metallica tone if you are a lead guitar player and you replicate james' tone? will you get a lead player tone or will you sound like a rythem guitar player? lets say james uses a triaxis and a 2:90 and kirk uses a dual rectifier and nothing else (I now its not true its just a example) so if he uses a Triaxis and 2:90 will he get a metallica tone but good sounding for a lead player?

Thanks for all the help
After all this I wanna kill my friend, What a douch
why do you think there's a difference between rhythm and lead players? hetfields rhythm tone comes mostly from the way he plays.

nothing stopping you replicating hetfields rhythm sounds then using an extra boost pedal for the leads.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Your friend payed you $50 to make a thread on Ultimate-Guitar which is a 100% free website with the largest guitar tab database?
And you call him a douche as well?
Seems like a good way to spend $50...

If your friend is looking for a lead sound, tell him to get away from Metallica.
Neither James or Kirk have a good lead sound.
Tell him that he shouldn't try to sound like someone else or have others make his sound. You've got to explore these things yourself.
The people from GG&A can suggest you Amps and Effects, but we can't tell you your sound.
..I was watching my death.
this made me lol, sry but you're friends a moron. and james is a rhythm player?
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Tell him to splash out on a Diezel VH4 it'll get you James's more recent tones and some pretty sweet lead tones to boot.
Quote by timbit2006

If your friend is looking for a lead sound, tell him to get away from Metallica.
Neither James or Kirk have a good lead sound.

WHIW, watching the "Big 4" DVD, I actually preferred Kirks RHYTHM tone...but that was a live setting, not really what they have used in the past.

As for James' tone....He needs to pick an era in Metallica. Early stuff was modded Marshals with pedals, then came some Mesa MarkII amps and so on.

Tell him to pick a couple songs with the tone he wants to emulate, then run them through your PA and tweak the amp till your happy.

Personally, I prefer to find my own tone, but if your friend wants to sound like he's playing Hetfield's stuff....that's up to him....coulda picked a lot worse tone to emulate
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
if your friend wants to use a similar tone to james for lead playing i don't see a problem with that at least that is a little different from the usual how do i get metallica's tone requests. whether he can get the tone of course is debateble. what equipment does he use? as mentioned the idea that there are seperate "tones" that are lead or rhythm is kinda wrong minded. while it is true that certain tones lend themselves to one or the other there certainly is no rule saying you couldn't use it for the other. personally i think your friend should work on a tone that is his. if you don't you get labeled a "clone" and people don't really take you seriously.
Quote by Vinson

WHIW, watching the "Big 4" DVD, I actually preferred Kirks RHYTHM tone...but that was a live setting, not really what they have used in the past.

As for James' tone....He needs to pick an era in Metallica. Early stuff was modded Marshals with pedals, then came some Mesa MarkII amps and so on.

Tell him to pick a couple songs with the tone he wants to emulate, then run them through your PA and tweak the amp till your happy.

Personally, I prefer to find my own tone, but if your friend wants to sound like he's playing Hetfield's stuff....that's up to him....coulda picked a lot worse tone to emulate

Well he told me that the tone he was looking for was the live 2009-2011 tone so if you now anything that will help then please comment
get the "Big 4" dvd (it's awesome....except for Slayer).
He will have a perfect sample of James' tone.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by GV8
Well he told me that the tone he was looking for was the live 2009-2011 tone so if you now anything that will help then please comment

once again what is he currently using. otherwise the only advice that can really be given is to look up james current rig and go buy it.
Currently he uses a Diezel VH-4 for distortion, and a Roland JC-120 for clean.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan