Title pretty much says it. Any good tube amps that are less than 1 grand USD, is 50W or more, and support high gain? (Combos or halfstacks-- though I doubt I could get a good halfstack setup with less than a grand)

If I'm being too vague, my playstyle is heavily influenced by Symphony X, Yngwie Malmsteen, Galneryus, and many other Power Metal/Neoclassical sounding bands. I will be using this mainly for gigging. I did some research myself but I couldn't find much on my own because of my limited knowledge on amplification companies.
Last edited by nignog at Mar 19, 2011,
I have this http://www.hiwatt.com/HG50Combo.jpg but it's a bit too heavy to carry around. Gonna put some wheels on it one of these days.

edit: Has great gain for your playing style and fender-like cleans too.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Last edited by von gelb at Mar 19, 2011,
Thanks for the recommendations, you two. Still looking forward to some more recommendations, however. If anyone has any thoughts; shout!
A Peavey JSX or a Ultra/XXX/3120 would probably sound good for that style. A JSX/3120 can be had for $1000 if you look hard enough. You can get a Ultra/XXX easily for half that much. Check them out on youtube, some people like them, some don't.

(The Ultra, XXX & 3120 are all the same exact amp, just re-released through the years under different names)
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
look at a used 5150 combo. 2x12 with plenty of power to run a 2x12 or 4x12 ext. cab. they run between $300-$500 depending on area and condition.
Quote by Robbgnarly
look at a used 5150 combo. 2x12 with plenty of power to run a 2x12 or 4x12 ext. cab. they run between $300-$500 depending on area and condition.

Pffft, where do you live? I have never seen a 5150 for $300 in my life.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Try a Carvin V3. BEST amp I have played so far!

http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitaramps/v3series.php
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Depends what kind of sound you want. A 6505 will work, as will a V3 or XXX (but neither of those are available with speakers in your price range). One of my favorite metal amps is actually a Blackstar HT100 - everyone bashes Blackstar, yes, because the HT5 isn't properly tube, but the HT100 is. A Jet City JCA100 would be excellent as well. You could get either of those as a halfstack for under $1000.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by Offworld92
A Peavey JSX or a Ultra/XXX/3120 would probably sound good for that style. A JSX/3120 can be had for $1000 if you look hard enough. You can get a Ultra/XXX easily for half that much. Check them out on youtube, some people like them, some don't.

(The Ultra, XXX & 3120 are all the same exact amp, just re-released through the years under different names)

+1 to Offworld

where do you live roughly nignog - we might be able to find you a used amp that will slay.
Quote by sonic_777111
Depends what kind of sound you want. A 6505 will work, as will a V3 or XXX (but neither of those are available with speakers in your price range). One of my favorite metal amps is actually a Blackstar HT100 - everyone bashes Blackstar, yes, because the HT5 isn't properly tube, but the HT100 is. A Jet City JCA100 would be excellent as well. You could get either of those as a halfstack for under $1000.

V3 2x12 combo is $1050.....close enough for govt work LOL!
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1 to Offworld

where do you live roughly nignog - we might be able to find you a used amp that will slay.

Southern Cali. Thanks for your help.
V3 is a great amp, I played one of those, beautiful lead tone, not my favorite on rhythm but a great amp. I played a 3120 peavey and for your style that amp could be amazing. Used you can find one in your budget, check out guitar center used, you can actually find some great deals on amps there. The 3120 had the most gain by far of any amp i've played. it was almost stupid, but so great too. oh and a JSX could be great too, I was between it and a v3 and got the JSX. It has a clean channel to die for, crunch channel is great, and ultra channel can be great, but overall hey its great for the 600 bucks i spent on it. So worth it
The V3 is a very versatile amp, but its not everyone's cup of tea because it naturally has a lot of lows and lower mids.

The JSX is a great amp. Very versatile with great cleans and enough gain for anything you'd ever need.

Jet City makes some pretty decent amps if you're on a budget, definitely worth checking out.

I'm too lazy to browse you're local CL to find you some good deals, but I'm sure someone like 311 will be glad to help!
Quote by jlaflamme
Ok, Instead of giving everyone a couple of amps to critique, here is my situation. I need to downsize from a Marshall JCM 800 100 watt 1/2 stack ( no I will never sell it) to a smaller combo that will cut through the mix and give me the sound I need. I've tried a few other Marshall combo's and I dug them but I know there are other alternatives out there. My band (Spare Parts) does classic 70's and hard blues on the heavier side. Deep Purple, Blind Faith, ZZ Top, Trower, Hendrix etc. My budget is between $600-$800. I have a Carvin Legacy 100 watt V 2x12 combo but it just dosn't quite have the tone and no matter how much I crank the highs it's still a little bassy and I cant get a great feel out of it. I've tried a million amps but I would like to know if I could get some input from all you amp guru's out there? Thanks and Rock on!

Here's an idea - create your own thread and stop spamming this one!
^ About that VK100, there was a guy on CL, I think maybe in LA, don't remember... anyway, he was selling an entire VK half stack for $400. I was considering jumping on it, but I'm sure it's long gone for now. Regardless of how you feel about that amp or it's cab, that's just a steal.

Also, do you know if the Vetta was ever made as a head? I only ever see combos used.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by nignog
Holy **** if I ever meet you or the others in this thread I'm going to buy you all a lobster dinner.

Nah, just do us proud and find a good amp and then show it off here when you do (following the the NAD guidelines)

Play as many amps as you can. Learn as much about them as possible. Never act over anxious in front of a seller. Always try to find 2 or 3 things you don't like about it to use as leverage. Never pay what the seller is asking unless it is an insane deal already. Be courteous and thank them for their time. Always have cash in hand but always be prepared to walk away. You can always come back. Craigslist is really nothing more than a newspaper classified, it is just online and therefore more accessible. The seller is always more at risk than the seller due to freaks and spam.

Offworld - the VK's are not bad if you are willing to put some time and money into them. The one I posted came with a JSX cab. I've never seen a Vetta in a head format either but I'm sure they exist....I bet MatrixClaw would know.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Nah, just do us proud and find a good amp and then show it off here when you do (following the the NAD guidelines)

You're letting go of a free lobster dinner? I don't know man...
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Quote by von gelb
You're letting go of a free lobster dinner? I don't know man...

Just because you said that, I am going to mail you a large crab. Enjoy the stench.
Go for a bugera 333xl 212. High gain, real nice cleans, and a mesa-ish low-end thud to boot.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Also look for Mesa F and DC series.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Mesa 2 ch recto
Mesa rectoverb
Edit- the tremoverb that 311 linked is a pretty good deal there nice amps and it is rare to find them unmolested, the single rec isnt a bad deal either singles are nice amps id try to talk it down a bit though but really 750 is a good deal.
Id jump on the tverb though.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Mar 20, 2011,