One thing i've wondered for a while is what exactly are scratch/guide tracks? For my A Level Music Tech i've always used MIDI for the drummer to record along to (as well as a click obviously) but i'm guessing that bands don't tend to write everything down in MIDI form so what exactly do they record?
As far as I know, it's a really really rough recording of the guitars and bass that are there for the drummer to play to.
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Quote by Afroboy267
One thing i've wondered for a while is what exactly are scratch/guide tracks? For my A Level Music Tech i've always used MIDI for the drummer to record along to (as well as a click obviously) but i'm guessing that bands don't tend to write everything down in MIDI form so what exactly do they record?
It's a take done, usually during the tracking of the drums, where the tone and performance aren't particularly important so it's main purposes are:

a) to give the drummer something to help him put feel and groove/energy into his performance as a click track on its own can make some drummers play robotically and others just nervous.

b) same for when the instrumentalists do their parts, as they will have something to 'better'etc.

c) because without it the drummer might lose his place in the song if he's used to taking cues to change beat/tempo from vocal lines etc.

Those are a few anyway!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Ah right, makes sense. So do the guitars and bass just play along to a click track and remember the feel and structure from rehersal memory?
yeah, that's what i would do at least. because they're only a guide for the drummer, it's not important what the guitars actually sound like, it's just the fact they're there so the drummer can play along to them
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
I've heard of groups playing their full track (along to a click would be good) all together and then having the individual members play along to it one by one.. starting with the drummer usually.
Quote by TechnicolorType
I've heard of groups playing their full track (along to a click would be good) all together and then having the individual members play along to it one by one.. starting with the drummer usually.

That's generally what I'd consider the best method, recording a guide track before the drummer tracks is more common in smaller studios where there isn't the facility to record guitars/bass/vocals with the drums without a considerable amount of bleed from those instruments in the drum mics.

I'd imagine that's why guide tracks got so big really - as you don't have to worry about isolation, but can give the drummer a proper backing to track to.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.