Hey UG,

I'm finally getting my first "real" amp. I've just gotten home having checked out a used PEAVEY 5150 (block letter) I play in a rap metal/nu-metal band and after the first 30 seconds with the amp, not even having played with the EQ much, I saw that it can do the heavy heavy low end riffing stuff REALLY well, even when I plugged my Digitech Whammy in with an octave down setting the notes were really really clear. The one thing it can't reallu do is cleans (you can use the rhythm channel as sort of a clean channel and switch to lead for the heavy stuff but that's not really the way to go), but i figure I'll just use my Roland Cube since it's got nice cleans and just run two amps.

The guy wants 800USD for it (converting it from local currency to USD). Keep in mind I live in Lithuania (Europe) so everything costs way more here.

Now to the questions:

I didn't get to spend too much time with it so my only concern is that the amp may be sort of a "one trick pony". Is it?

Since there's nothing good floating around in the used market here my only other option is to buy new. Could I get a new amp that is comprable for the same price?

Help me make my final decision
Quote by Roc8995
Kirk Hammett should just build a wah into his goddam shoes.

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
i am guessing you want a linkin park pre minutes to m sound so get a dual recto its the best. amp for nu metal 5150 cleans aint that bad i love my 6505
I'd try getting him down to $750 or less if you lived in the US, but since you live in Lithuania I think it's a fair price given that everything works fine.

I have a 5150 combo converted into a standalone head, and people definitely underrate the clean channel. I prefer keeping the crunch button on for cleans, and having single coils or coil-tap definitely improves the cleans on the amp.

That being said, the Jet City 100HDM is said to be better than the 5150 for its price (~$1000 or whatever), but I doubt you could find one in Lithuania.

tl;dr - I'd buy it
Considering where you live, that's not a bad price. I'd get it. Like said above, a Dual Rectifier would probably be better, but you may not find one used or in your budget.

It is a one trick pony pretty much, but it does that one trick very, very well. no other amp can really do what a 5150 does.

Also, the clean channel is pretty good, especially considering how much gain the amp has. It just takes a long time and a lot of patience to dial it in. I'm happy with my cleans, finally. You don't need a chorus. Reverb makes it sound awesome though
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Try a 5150 see if it can do nu metal
if you arent satisfied still buy it and get an amt electronics r-1 preamp i heard that beast n loved it,i am even saving up for it
It's not the most versatile amp on the market, that's for sure, but imo little can match it's gain channel for the price. Like others have said, the cleans really aren't that bad and get a lot of unjustified hate. It really helps if you have a guitar that can coil-tap or that has single coils. A chorus pedal with a decent delay pedal usually helps the cleans significantly as well. With my Strat, BOSS CE-1, and 616, I can get some very pristine cleans through my 6505.

I'd get it. It'll be hard finding a dual rec for your budget, and the 5150/6505 is great anyway.

My Gear

Peavey 6505 head
Mesa 2x12 Recto Cab w/ Celestion V30s
Carvin Legacy 2x12 Cab w/ Celestion V30s
Fender American Standard Strat w/ Bare Knuckle Sinner
Malekko Ekko 616
BOSS CE-1
Dr. Scientist RRR
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by DarkestChapter
It's not the most versatile amp on the market, that's for sure, but imo little can match it's gain channel for the price. Like others have said, the cleans really aren't that bad and get a lot of unjustified hate. It really helps if you have a guitar that can coil-tap or that has single coils. A chorus pedal with a decent delay pedal usually helps the cleans significantly as well. With my Strat, BOSS CE-1, and 616, I can get some very pristine cleans through my 6505.

I'd get it. It'll be hard finding a dual rec for your budget, and the 5150/6505 is great anyway.

+1