This past year I have spent a lot of time comparing guitars. I own 10 guitars including Gibson, American Fender, PRS SE, Ibanez & Michael Kelly. Because I am on disability, I sometimes spend up to 6 - 8 hours a day playing and comparing the guitars I own. For this comparison, I will focus on humbuckers. The idea is to try to compare these pick ups to each other.

My '93 Gibson Studio (490/498 set which is the same set as the LP Custom except one of the p/u's on the Custom uses an Alnico 5 magnet) as most of you know has that famous beefy tone that is perfect for blues & rock. Very versatile with tons of thick creamy sustain and has some sweet cleans as well with a tone I would describe as woody. As far as humbucker tone, Gibsons are the guitars that most are compared against in overall various styles of music.

My Michael Kelly Patriot Custom & Glory both have Rockfield SWC p/u's which tonally sound like the Gibson 490/498 set only a little thinner which cleans them up a bit. They also have coil tap which adds more versatility. From experimenting, I found by bringing up the hi's, mid's & lo's on my amp (Peavey Valve King 212 & Line 6 Spyder III) that I could get the Rockfields to sound almost identical to the Gibson 490/498's. These guitars are a great value if you want Gibson tone but don't want to lay out the $. The necks are slim & very fast also which is another plus.

My PRS SE singlecut has extremely clean & articulate p/u's. They have a tone that delivers the traditional humbucker sound combined with the articulation & brightness of a single coil, which makes them very versatile. It is still a humbucker tone but makes room for a brighter, cleaner sound than most humbuckers I've ever heard. They are truly outstanding in their own right and PRS really paid attention to detail when they designed these p/u's, considering the reasonable price for these guitars.

I have another Michael Kelly I put Seymour Duncans in ( SH-2 Jazz & SH-4 JB ). This set is the most popular of the Seymour Duncans and rightly so. It has a nice balance of warmth, clarity and snap. The SH-2 has a sweet, clean & warm sound that is very versatile and can be used in many stlyes of music. The SH-4 JB (JB stands for Jeff Beck) has it's own unique sound that lends itself to a snappy sort of single coil tone while retaining the fullness of a humbucker. I would say this set is similar to the PRS set with a little more warmth while the PRS set is a little brighter. However, the bridge pick up on the PRS sounds closer to the 498 than it does to the SH-4. Both Seymour & PRS are very articulate sounding pick ups.

My Ibanez SZ520QM has Seymour Duncan/Ibanez designed pick ups. To my ear they sound like they are emulating the Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59 & the SH-4 JB. While they did a good job in the overall tone of these pick ups, the clarity & articulation of these pick ups are not quite up to the actual Seymour Duncans. Nevertheless, they still produce a good quality sound considering the price of the guitar.

The tone of any guitar is always subjective. It has been my experience, that the best way to compare guitars is always side by side. My comparisons are based on quite a bit of time spent on the guitars I own. I found that when you spend a couple of hours in the music store comparing guitars, you get a general idea but tend to miss out on a lot of nuances because of time restraints.

Anyway, I hope this was informative and would like to hear other opinions.
I own 10 guitars…I am on disability, I sometimes spend up to 6 - 8 hours a day playing and comparing the guitars I own.

Nice to know that people are working to pay taxes so that you can spend your days fondling your expensive guitar collection. Instead of, you know, getting a job as a guitar tech and not sponging off other people.
The guy's DISABLED, this means he is unable to work as a guitar luthier/technician you imbecile.
Well I'd love to trade places with you since I cant walk. I am 58 years old and probably have worked harder than you ever will. Not to mention I have owned 2 restaurants and have hired hundreds of employees and helped build the US economy as a small business man. I am amazed how ignorant people can be. They are so quick to judge without even knowing the facts. Your comment speaks volumes as to your character.
Quote by petscar
Well I'd love to trade places with you since I cant walk. I am 58 years old and probably have worked harder than you ever will. Not to mention I have owned 2 restaurants and have hired hundreds of employees and helped build the US economy as a small business man. I am amazed how ignorant people can be. They are so quick to judge without even knowing the facts. Your comment speaks volumes as to your character.

U mad?

On topic, I agree about Ibanez made pickups, cheap knockoffs that sound like liquid ass compared to the originals.
I forgot to mention EMG's. I have a Michael Kelly Patriot LTD with EMG 81/85 set. These pickups are probably the least crisp & clean. They seem to concentrate more on the mids & lows. That is why they tend to be more popular using overdriven amps. They have a nice warm, smooth creamy sound when using overdrive. Thats not to say they dont sound good in the clean channel. They do, just different. They are not as bright as the other pick ups, which is not a bad thing. They just tend to have a more mellow sound when using them in a clean setting.