well, ive been searching for that killer marshall tone and came across some jcm 800's that im really likeing... there is a 1983 jcm 800 2205 and a 1987 jcm 800 2210, i dont know which ones more for me though.. i like hard rock/ 80s metal like motley crue, gnr, warrant bon jovi and that type thing.. i play gigs and things and were pretty loud and the drummer is rediculosly loud, could the 50 handle it? will the 100 have that screaming gain i needs as its an early model?

thanks
Rock N FKn Roll!!!

Own~
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Bc Rich Mocking Bird ST
Kramer Ferrington KFS-2
Epiphone Special Les Paul
Peavey Milestone III Bass
It's a tube amp, so the 50 watt will handle it fine. I reckon that if you turn it up full power, you won't be able to hear drums anymore. You won't be able to hear anything for a few days even... ;-)

Try looking for some 80's bands and see what model they used to be sure about the 100 watt model, but as far as I know all JCM 800 carry lots of gain.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
I dunno.

Now, bear in mind I haven't actually tried an 800, but I have a laney gh50L, and its schematic (I've compared them) is very similar to an 800 (when the boost is disengaged) and it's also well known as a modified 800-type amp, and it doesn't have a ton of gain when run like that. Maybe with a boost as well, but even then, you're talking classic rock to hard rock levels. The 800 also has a reputation of only really getting *that* tone when you really crank it.

To be honest for stuff like warrant etc. (assuming I'm not incorrect in my assumption that the JCM 800 doesn't have tons of gain unless it's cranked up) I'd be looking at something with a bit more gain.

I mean, don't get me wrong, don't discount the 800 out of hand- if you can try a couple (especially at your normal band volume) then by all means do it, you may love them. But I would try a bunch of other higher-gain, 80s-type amps too.

What's your budget? South shields is near newcastle in the north of england, right?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I dunno.

Now, bear in mind I haven't actually tried an 800, but I have a laney gh50L, and its schematic (I've compared them) is very similar to an 800 (when the boost is disengaged) and it's also well known as a modified 800-type amp, and it doesn't have a ton of gain when run like that. Maybe with a boost as well, but even then, you're talking classic rock to hard rock levels. The 800 also has a reputation of only really getting *that* tone when you really crank it.

To be honest for stuff like warrant etc. (assuming I'm not incorrect in my assumption that the JCM 800 doesn't have tons of gain unless it's cranked up) I'd be looking at something with a bit more gain.

I mean, don't get me wrong, don't discount the 800 out of hand- if you can try a couple (especially at your normal band volume) then by all means do it, you may love them. But I would try a bunch of other higher-gain, 80s-type amps too.

What's your budget? South shields is near newcastle in the north of england, right?

yes it is. I was looking at 80's JCM 800's and got a Laney GH100L, its too loud but the tone is amazing
Quote by RockGuitarist09
yes it is. I was looking at 80's JCM 800's and got a Laney GH100L, its too loud but the tone is amazing

yeah, that's the other thing, you do have to turn the laney up a reasonable amount for it to start sounding good. I mean mine's not cranked to 10 or anything, but it does have to be a bit louder than my engl (which is 100 watts, not 50 like the laney) to start sounding good.

Which also ties in with what I've heard about the marshall- if you can use it the way it's meant to be used (i.e. cranked up at gig volumes), it's probably amazing, but if you can't, or play a lot of the time at lower volumes, something else which can achieve those tones (or close to those tones) at lower volumes might be a better idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Which also ties in with what I've heard about the marshall- if you can use it the way it's meant to be used (i.e. cranked up at gig volumes), it's probably amazing, but if you can't, or play a lot of the time at lower volumes, something else which can achieve those tones (or close to those tones) at lower volumes might be a better idea.

i gig around small to medium venues and things, and i used to practice with a 150w monster of a line 6 with master on about 5 which was loud. i could use an attenuator with it at low volumes and crank it for gigs. but could the 50 handle higher volumes without getting drowned out?
Rock N FKn Roll!!!

Own~
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Bc Rich Mocking Bird ST
Kramer Ferrington KFS-2
Epiphone Special Les Paul
Peavey Milestone III Bass
i would imagine so, but I don't gig, so...

I mean everyone always says that valve watts sound louder than solid state/modeller watts. It'll probably sound louder than your line 6 did, lol.

attenuator would probably work for getting you to the right volume for gigs, but from what i hear, for getting down to bedroom volume, they're not that great. Powerscaling or something similar like VVR is normally considered a better (not perfect, it's probably still a compromise) solution, but then that has to be modded into the amp which is (a) expensive and (b) will void the warranty or maybe erode some resale value if you buy a used one.

Best bet is to go and try a couple in shops- try them at your usual home volume (bear in mind it'll sound quieter in a big shop than it'll sound in your bedroom!), preferably with an od boost pedal as well (they can help you get gain at lower volumes), and if they'll let you, also try it at loud gig volumes. And see what you think, basically- there's no rule that you have to use an attenuator, i mean if it sounds "good enough" to you at home volumes without one, then that's fine. Likewise, if it sounds rubbish at home volumes, unless you're willing to let someone add powerscaling to it, it's probably best to start looking elsewhere for something which will do the tones you want at home volumes (and which also sounds good at gig volumes, of course).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd pass on a JCM unless it's a 2203/4. They were the best.

Also, look into Laney GH's. They're basically hotrodded 800s and sound great.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Saying which 800 is/was the best is subjective. Many different people prefer different models of the 800. No two 2203's or 2204's sound exactly alike, anyway.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.