ok i play anywhere from classic rock to heavy metal to alternative rock even blues and jazz and i am on the market for a new amp.i need one large enough for medium sized venues but has great sound in all the styles i play and with all the crap on the market today ive no clue where to start so any suggestions?
Budget?
Location?
Willing to go used?
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
+1

also when you say heavy metal, what do you mean exactly? could you name some bands?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I agree with the other two. What kind of budget have you got, and what kind of music do you play? Give us some band names dude ...
/facepalm sorry my bad for lack of info. locations would be inside and outside venues mostly inside though.bodget hmmm between 500 and 1000 i would prefer new but a great used would be fine.as for the bands here goes a list guns n roses,led zeppelin,kansas,eric clapton,t bone walker,red hot chili peppers,nickleback,older korn,marilyn manson,disturbed,audioslave,dream theater, and thats about it lol wow i guess im a sort of a musical mutt
I/we meant Location as in which city are you in/near...
500 - 1000 $ yeah?
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40
central alabama just below birmingham.and yea 500 too 1000 usd but if i wait a couple more months i could go as high as 1500
ah by location we meant country so we knew what prices were like where you are, but I'm guessing you're in america?

that's definitely a wide range of stuff. I haven't tried it, but carvin has a new mini-head version of their v3 (think that's the name) coming out- might be worth a try? or even the normal-sized version, if it's under budget...

only other stuff i can really think of at that kind of budget is stuff where there's going to be some compromise- e.g. a traynor ycv40 or 50 would be good up to around 80s metal levels of distortion, but tones like korn, disturbed, dream theater etc. might require a little persuasion from e.g. a boost and/or eq pedal. ditto something like a mesa express, or a kustom coupe. of course they're all worth a try just in case you love them.

EDIT: ah if you can get up to 1500 you have a fair few more options... things like splawn, soldano, higher mesas, vht etc. might be an option (though new they may still be a bit over).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That's quite a range, the first half of the bands all used British amps and then the second set use American ones so that's gonna give you some problem with regards to exact matches.
After a quick look on Musician's Friend however I think possibly:
BlackStar HT40
Egnater Renegade
Egnater Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Stateman

That would get you the first type of sound you wanted. To push it to Disturbed and DT you would require a boost/distortion/eq pedal really
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40
yea im ok with using a pedal lol i have like 20 diff pedals already lol my dam floor looks like a sales counter for pedals
hehe

oh yeah that reminds me, do you play pretty much a random mix of all those tones/bands, or is there any one type/types of music there that you play more than others?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ehhh pretty much just what ever mood hits me lol i have earned a unique style though my style has a kinda mid distortion
ah ok, no worries. then any i listed should be ok (the dearer ones i listed are probably more for higher gain tones- worth a try too if your budget stretches, but just bear that in mind).

barnesybaby's suggestions are worth a look too (though i don't think the blackstar ht series is all-valve, if that matters... have a feeling i've read somewhere the h&k uses some diode clipping or something like that too)

denied's suggestions are good too, i always forget about teh marks because I've never been able to try one
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I went for purely the British sounding amps to meet his spec, everything up to Nickelback on TS' list. The suggestions such as the Carvin, Peavey and Mesa would suit the latter section well.

@Dave_Mc: The Blackstar is all valve. The HT1 and 5 don't use a power tube but the 20+ all do and sound great in the process

TS: You're lucky in the sense that lots of amps will fit some of your criteria, however be prepared to comprimise as few will fufil all of it
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 50 combo
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Quote by barnesybaby
I went for purely the British sounding amps to meet his spec, everything up to Nickelback on TS' list. The suggestions such as the Carvin, Peavey and Mesa would suit the latter section well.

yeah, most people round here tend to play more of the heavier stuff even when they say they need versatile- i suggested those heavier amps when he didn't say how much he played of each. If he only needs those heavier sounds occasionally, then some of the lighter amps suggested might be a better plan- he probably has more options too.

Quote by barnesybaby

@Dave_Mc: The Blackstar is all valve. The HT1 and 5 don't use a power tube but the 20+ all do and sound great in the process

pretty sure they aren't.

i mean the ht1 and 5 use a power tube or you wouldn't get any sound- it's maybe not a traditional guitar type of power tube, but it's being used as a power tube, kind of thing.

certainly the rest of the HT series, considering how much gain they're meant to have, I can't see them getting that out of one 12ax7- assuming they're using the other one for the PI... which is a pretty big assumption since the PI in the ht5 is transistor-based... but then again if they use an SS PI it's still not all-tube, so...

Let's just say I've only seen a reverse-engineered schematic of the ht5 and haven't seen any schematics of the other bigger HTs, but I have strong suspicions that they aren't all-valve.

EDIT: some of the bigger ones have an extra preamp valve... not sure what it's used for, so they might be all-tube. But again, that's still a pretty small number of preamp tubes for something with so many channels, a fair bit of preamp gain, etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 19, 2011,
Try to find a Fender Supersonic! So ****ing versatile, and a tone monster.
Guitars:
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Gibson Les Paul Bfg
Acoustics
Ibanez GSR200FM Bass
Amps:
Bugera V55HD w/avatar cab
Fender Champ 600 with 4 ohm cab
70s traynor 200w head with 2 9x8 cabs for bass