looking to get a high gain amp and a cabinet for playing metal. not sure I'll ever be gigging or what have you just wanna break some windows.

I like to play kyuss, slipknot, ozzy megadeth slayer and so on.

Id prolly want to spend 2500 max on an amp.

Live in Canada closest city is Victoria.

I am putting cash down a a Jim Root start today
and have a Jackson Dk2

And a shitty practice amp.

Ive been considering the Engl savage, mesa triple rectifier, even the orange amps.

What are your recommendations for head and cabinet? mix and match or?
dont really have any well equipped music shops where I could test them all out so Id have to go on youtube sound etc etc.
A Dual Rec might suit you well. I wouldn't bother with the Triple Rec, too much money for one more channel that you won't use that often. But if you like it, and think that you'll be using that one extra channel, go for that.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Correct me if i'm wrong but the modern dual rec's have 3 channels aswell. The only difference with the triple recto is that the triple recto has 3 recto tubes and is rated at 150 watts.

2,5 grand will put you in the range of the higher end amps. Mesa recto's are a good one. Also check out the roadking(2nd hand), the mark V and the bogner uberschall
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
If you are getting a Jim Root strat then you must be a Slipknot fan so give the Rivera Knucklehead a look
savage ftw
Höhner llx100g
Gibson explorer
crappy stagg acoustic
Roland dac80d
marshall jcm 900 sl-x 2500
marshall 1960A
ehx metal-muff
jimmy hendrix wah
just to check, the 2500 is for the amp head and cab, right?

how are prices in canada? I have a vague idea about US prices...

what type of metal do you play mainly?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
just to check, the 2500 is for the amp head and cab, right?

how are prices in canada? I have a vague idea about US prices...

what type of metal do you play mainly?

2500 is head only. cabinet I'm not sure about which ones you cant match to what etc etc.

basically the rivera is out the engl is out. what my local shop that I like to support deals with is Orange and mesa.

I just have a orange tiny terror and its a cool little amp.

I might have just answered my own question
mesa dual/triple rec or a roadster.

maybe a rockerverb if you dig that sound, and if its in your budget

you'll also probbaly want to stick to orange or mesa for a cab too, both will set you back about 1100 for a new cab
regarding cabs, all that matters is that the speakers are rated for a high enough wattage (to be safe, have the cab rated at twice the amp's wattage), and that the impedances match (i.e. 16 ohm cabinet needs to be plugged into the head's 16 ohm extension socket, or have the impedance selector on the amp (if it uses a selector instead of separate sockets) set to 16 ohms).

Obviously matching cab construction and type of speakers to the tone you want is important too, but for tonal reasons rather than having it work. for high gain you pretty much want a closed back cab, probably with more modern-voiced speakers (e.g. vintage 30s, though they're far from the only choice).

But yeah i mean if you want to stick to your local shop, then you're probably looking at either the rockerverbs from orange, or the rectos, roadkings/sters, marks or stilettos from mesa.

Unless there's something obvious I'm forgetting.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Orange Rockerverb or Thunderverb
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Honestly, Rivera KR7 will nail everything you want. Best clean and crunch on a high gainer I have ever heard. 3 channels each with their own boost. My only problem with the amp was the voicing on the lead channel. Hated it, but some people love it.

Channel 2 nails modded JCM800, which is your slayer/ozzy.
Channel 3 will do heavier metal and slipknot (obviously)

If you're looking at a savage, the heavy sounds are LEAGUES better than the KR7, but the cleans are worse and IMO the "mid gain" isn't quite as good. It just comes down to voicing.

Rivera: Super open/dry/organic voice.
ENGL: Super tight/saturated/compressed voice

EDIT: read your post.. Thunderverb or Roadster IMO
/rig
Last edited by mespinos at Mar 19, 2011,
Used Roadking does everything

if you cant find one in your price range then a Recto or Roadster will do very nicely. if you can, get a 2 channel Recto rather than a 3. they're just better, tighter and more awesome.

i've liked a lot of the demos i've seen of Orange but i haven't played one so can't really comment on them. from what i've heard on youtube and other sites they are nice, but i'd still take a Roadking or Recto over one
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
The mesa Roadking ok, Nut if you are looking to spend 2,500. Why not just get an Axe FX????

If your not into that I would say the orange rockerverb-100 is AMAZING. Definitely a must try before you buy anything else.

I really like my VHT Pitbull Super heavy, but the orange is more Organic and the cleans on it are amazing.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Last edited by maddnotez at Mar 21, 2011,