I have an American Fender Start and soon I'll buy the John Petrucci Signature Model JPX-6 (Music Man).
I want an amp that will be good for Blues and light rock with my Strat and Heavier stuff with my distortion pedals and the Music Man.
I tried the Blackstar HT 40 and I liked it, but i didn't try the Marshall yet..
Whic amp will be the best for me ?.
Marshall DSL401 : http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=DSL401
Blackstar HT 40 : http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-amps/ht-40.html
Granny Smith VS Golden delicious.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
^ former marshall employees versus current marshall employees

^^where are you located? what's your budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ former marshall employees versus current marshall employees

^^where are you located? what's your budget?

I'm from Israel and my budget is around 5,000 shekels (stuff that will cost 5,000 shekels in Israel will probably cost around 800$ in the US...
I actually tried both (Well actually i tried the Ht-5) and i absolutely loved it. Loved it so much that i went ahead and bought it.
Yeah the ISF knob, although allows you to reach more tones, just becomes something else to worry about when finding some good tones and for me at least was a bit unnecessary.
Gear:
Fender American Tele (Lefty)
Squier Affinity Strat (Lefty)
Boss DS-1
EHX Small Clone
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Laney LG12
Danelectro FAB Flanger (Rubbish)
Quote by ArielTheStrudel
I'm from Israel and my budget is around 5,000 shekels (stuff that will cost 5,000 shekels in Israel will probably cost around 800$ in the US...

oh ok, thanks.

What stuff can you get in israel? I vaguely remember a couple of other people from where you are asking about amps... you can get peavey right? Laney maybe?

I forget
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You just asked basically this same question in a thread you made yesterday. Just use that thread. Also, no vs. threads.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by Tom 1.0
Granny Smith VS Golden delicious.
Granny Smith of course.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh ok, thanks.

What stuff can you get in israel? I vaguely remember a couple of other people from where you are asking about amps... you can get peavey right? Laney maybe?

I forget

these are the amps that we have in Israel : Fender, Ibanez, Blackstar, Marshall, Roland, Line 6, AER, Cort, Engl, Framus, Kustom, Orange, Peavy, Mesa/Boogie, Cravin, Blackheart, Crate, Smokey, Dr. Z, Jet City, Rivera, Engater, Tweaker, Laney, Vox and Behringer. Thats it..
ah ok, thanks. that's not too bad a selection, that's a lot better than we can get here in NI (though obviously I can buy online from the UK, or thomann in germany, to get a much wider selection, but I can't try it first )

In addition to what you're already looking at, I'd take a look at jet city and egnater- haven't tried either myself, but have heard good things, and their prices should be around the price of that blackstar and marshall.

things like rivera, engl etc. would be worth a look, but i'm guessing they're way over budget

Quote by ChucklesMginty
I don't think you understand that rule, it's to stop people saying 'Who makes better amps Marshall or Mesa Boogie?' Which is just pointless and causes arguments. Asking which amp is better for a certain style or application is fine.

agreed
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
You could get a used Dual Rectifier for that money......
Or you could buy an Engl E530 and run it into a Carvin TS100?
Used Mark IV might just be in that price range.

We don't have this amps in Israel and want a combo amp..
Quote by GS LEAD 5
You could get a used Dual Rectifier for that money......
Or you could buy an Engl E530 and run it into a Carvin TS100?
Used Mark IV might just be in that price range.

I hardly think there are $800 Dual Recs running around in Israel.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Sputnik1
You just said that you have Mesas, ENGLs, and Carvins in Israel.

Yeah, we do, but not these specific models..
Quote by ArielTheStrudel
I have an American Fender Start and soon I'll buy the John Petrucci Signature Model JPX-6 (Music Man).
I want an amp that will be good for Blues and light rock with my Strat and Heavier stuff with my distortion pedals and the Music Man.
I tried the Blackstar HT 40 and I liked it, but i didn't try the Marshall yet..
Whic amp will be the best for me ?.
Marshall DSL401 : http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=DSL401
Blackstar HT 40 : http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-amps/ht-40.html

i would spend less on getting the JP-X and just get a normal Petrucci model if thats what you want. that will then give you more cash for an amp, and as most of the tone is your amp its probably well worth it.

haven't played the HT-40 but i didn't like the DSL at all really. personally i'd look into ENGL and Mesa Boogie

EDIT:

Quote by ArielTheStrudel
We don't have this amps in Israel and want a combo amp..

Mesa Roadster 2x12 combo would suit you nicely.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Last edited by shredftw at Mar 20, 2011,
I've tried out both those amps and while I would lean towards the Marshall for the name, I wasnt too impressed with the Marshall combos. They make fantastic heads, but their low-mid priced amps suck IMO.

I'd go the blackstar if I were you. As has been said, the guys who started blackstar are old Marshall engineers who essentially got the shits with Marshall's compromising quality (from what I've been told).