Hi GB&C

My gf found an old acoustic guitar in her loft. The thing is unplayable - the neck is at such a dodgy angle, it has about an inch of action. Needless to say, the intonation is awful because of it.
I'm not sure if the neck is actually warped or if it has just been attatched at a dodgy angle though :/.
I'm a complete noob with acoustic guitars, I have only played and built electrics and have no experience with acoustics, but i noticed there wasnt a truss rod which may have caused this. No idea whether it needs one - but i presumed that the string tension would warp the neck like it would on an electric.
So GB&C, any way to fix this?
Thanks
You should probably replace the neck. it sounds like its pretty messed up. but just check and see if the neck is bowed and not warped, and you can try to find the truss rod in the sound hole probably if its not on the top of the neck. but it is all warped, which sounds possible since it was in a loft. You could probably take a trip to a luthier will give you the best idea of what to do
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
Last edited by 801Current at Mar 19, 2011,
Quote by ethan_hanus
There is a truss rod, the adjustment nut is prolly on the inside of the soundhole, like most others.

Idk about saving it, an inch of action seems like the neck has completely failed at this point.

Nope, ive checked everywhere. There is no adjustment nut inside the soundhole, on the headstock, anywhere. There is definitely no adjustable truss rod. It may have some sort of carbon fibre reinforcement, i cant tell.
The guitar looks quite... dodgy. The fret side markers appear to just be tippex, for example, it looks more like a (very amateur) home build.
Im hoping it can be saved!
Im up for building a replacement neck, but was wondering if this can be salvaged.
Does not sound saveable and building a replacement neck is not an easy job. Even the removal of the old neck my prove to be tricky, as the attatchment method may be any of many types. You should try and remove the old neck first, as spending lots of time carving a new one may be a waste of time if the guitar gets damaged in the removal process.

Good luck....you may need it.
Thanks for the advice all!
I'll probably have a go at fixing it. If it doent work, ive not lost anything except an unplayable guitar, but gained experience .
Quote by minnis
If it doent work, ive not lost anything except an unplayable guitar, but gained experience .

Exactly, have fun with it, working on guitars is really a lot of fun. definatley listen to the post 2 up^^

anyway good luck let us know how it goes, and maybe we could assit more with pics, and definatley post finished pics if all works out
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.