Page 1 of 4
Seems like Ben was being a dick all night.
Also seems like the chick deserved it.
I'm an asshole.
p0nx as fuuuuck
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
The more I discuss this video the more it pisses me off. That chick insulted Ben, threw multiple things at him, and spit on him. She had fair warning that he was gonna hit her and she walked up to the front of the stage like she was gonna kick his ass and instigated the situation more. Yet he's wrong for hitting her? Why because she's a woman? That's sexist as ****.
I'm an asshole.
Quote by lookpizza
The more I discuss this video the more it pisses me off. That chick insulted Ben, threw multiple things at him, and spit on him. She had fair warning that he was gonna hit her and she walked up to the front of the stage like she was gonna kick his ass and instigated the situation more. Yet he's wrong for hitting her? Why because she's a woman? That's sexist as ****.
Apparently he had been calling names and shit all night and that's why she threw ice.

And you shouldn't punch anybody, man or woman. At least that's how I roll.

Also, the woman onstage that he punched was the owner of the venue, who had come over to break up the fight.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Eh, if you get drunk and repeatedly antagonize a person known to be volatile, you're likely to get punched. That's just the way things go.

and as for the venue owner, he clearly didn't look to see who it was behind him. just turned and started swinging. he was in "fight-mode" so to speak. that was likely an accident.
Last edited by Mack56 at Mar 19, 2011,
Quote by Mack56
Eh, if you get drunk and repeatedly antagonize a person known to be volatile, you're likely to get punched. That's just the way things go.

and as for the venue owner, he clearly didn't look to see who it was behind him. just turned and started swinging. he was in "fight-mode" so to speak. that was likely an accident.
You shouldn't have to fear getting punched when you go to a show. And from what I'm reading, he started insulting her first.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Technically, spitting on someone counts as assault. The girl allegedly spat in his face. I'm not defending him, as a matter of fact the opposite. I think what he did was wrong. Not because it was a woman, but because he resorted to throwing punches. It's really sad, this 40 or 50 year old man with a family is so fucking childish.

Ben Weasel needs help. He's essentially going through a midlife crisis. He is like the punk rock version of Charlie Sheen, only I'm more saddened by Ben because I actually enjoy the majority of his creative output.

And getting spit on is no reason to start fighting. That makes me think of asshole meatheads who care about their "pride" or "respect". Not actual pride and respect, but what they believe to be pride and respect. They think getting spat on is the biggest insult ever, and immediately - "It's on, bitch."
Last edited by due 07 at Mar 19, 2011,
Quote by element4433
Apparently he had been calling names and shit all night and that's why she threw ice.

And you shouldn't punch anybody, man or woman. At least that's how I roll.

Also, the woman onstage that he punched was the owner of the venue, who had come over to break up the fight.

I find it hard to believe that while on stage Ben Weasel went out of his way to randomly insult a member of the crowd for no reason.

The way I hear it went down was:
- Ben didn't want to play the show.
- He was very vocal about his dislike of the show during his set and went off on a few tangents about his dislike.
- The woman threw beer at him, and started heckling the band.
- Not knowing it was a woman he called out the person saying he wanted to kick their ass.
- He found out it was a woman and said "I can't hit a chick but I'll pay $20 to the first girl who does"
- The girl continued to hurl insults and then threw an ice cube at him.
- Ben called her out saying he didn't care if she was a girl that he'd kick her ass anyways
- The girl came up to the front of the stage willingly to continue the altercation. Called him a "puta" and spit on him.
- He punched her.
- The venue owner who was a friend of the girl grabbed him from behind.
- Ben already riled swung on whoever it was behind him that was grabbing him.
- Bouncers broke it up.
- The girl and Ben both bailed before the cops got there.

He was obviously provoked into the situation, while drunk and already in a terrible mood. There is no excuse for hitting a person when there are other outlets but there is also no excuse for throwing things at someone or spitting on them. The owner could of kicked out the girl long before any of this happened but didn't cause they were friends. Everyone handled the situation badly, but honestly, what do you expect a dude like Ben Weasel to do?
I'm an asshole.
Last edited by lookpizza at Mar 19, 2011,
Quote by due 07
Technically, spitting on someone counts as assault. The girl allegedly spat in his face. I'm not defending him, as a matter of fact the opposite. I think what he did was wrong. Not because it was a woman, but because he resorted to throwing punches. It's really sad, this 40 or 50 year old man with a family is so fucking childish.

Ben Weasel needs help. He's essentially going through a midlife crisis. He is like the punk rock version of Charlie Sheen, only I'm more saddened by Ben because I actually enjoy the majority of his creative output.

And getting spit on is no reason to start fighting. That makes me think of asshole meatheads who care about their "pride" or "respect". Not actual pride and respect, but what they believe to be pride and respect. They think getting spat on is the biggest insult ever, and immediately - "It's on, bitch."

Spitting on someone IS a huge insult. If I walked up to you, threw shit at you, insulted you, and then spit on you, you would want to punch me. Not saying you would punch me or that it would be right to punch me, but you would want to.
I'm an asshole.
But he didn't have to punch her. He could have said "Hey security. Can you kick her out please?"

He's been doing this forever. I doubt this is the first time somebody threw ice at him.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433
You shouldn't have to fear getting punched when you go to a show. And from what I'm reading, he started insulting her first.

Well not totally. Confrontation and danger has always been associated with punk rock, from Iggy Pop to GG Allin to Dead Boys to New York Dolls. This type of thing is nothing new.. and people go to it for that reason as well... it is the old "everyone loved a car crash, but nobody wants to be in one" thing. It has it's place at times as well.

Ben still went to far though, and should not of resorted to what he did, it was an asshole thing to do.. and he was self aware of it as well.. as the performance before it and lead up said, he knew it was a woman and did what he did, it was not a case of not being aware as someone has said.

No one should go in expecting to get beat, but at the same time people should not go in and provoke someone by being an asshole either...

Maybe he didnt wanna play the show, but he should of just cancelled or not played it instead if that was the case.

I have a friend who went to SXSW, said he missed the SW show, but also said even before all this he was being an asshole in the pre-show interviews..
Ben Weasel just handled the situation the way any good rock'n'roll front man would, ie by being a gigantic asshole. Haters gonna hate. And Ben Weasel loves to hate.
Quote by ManicRepression
Well not totally. Confrontation and danger has always been associated with punk rock, from Iggy Pop to GG Allin to Dead Boys to New York Dolls. This type of thing is nothing new.. and people go to it for that reason as well... it is the old "everyone loved a car crash, but nobody wants to be in one" thing. It has it's place at times as well.

Ben still went to far though, and should not of resorted to what he did, it was an asshole thing to do.. and he was self aware of it as well.. as the performance before it and lead up said, he knew it was a woman and did what he did, it was not a case of not being aware as someone has said.

No one should go in expecting to get beat, but at the same time people should not go in and provoke someone by being an asshole either...

Maybe he didnt wanna play the show, but he should of just cancelled or not played it instead if that was the case.

I have a friend who went to SXSW, said he missed the SW show, but also said even before all this he was being an asshole in the pre-show interviews..
Fugazi stopped that whole danger thing and we're all better off for it.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433
But he didn't have to punch her. He could have said "Hey security. Can you kick her out please?"

He's been doing this forever. I doubt this is the first time somebody threw ice at him.

My point is the chick is no victim. She is just as wrong, if not more wrong than Ben is in this situation and everyone is ostracizing the guy for it. It's ****ed up.

edit: also this whole "oh danger of a punk show blah blah" spiel that's going on is bullshit. If a stranger walked up to me on the street and spit on me I'd wanna sock them in the face too.
I'm an asshole.
She's wrong, but he's wrong too. Definitely more wrong because he could have ended it quickly in a way that doesn't involve punching a anybody in the face.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

The problem is that nobody (outside of this thread) gives a shit about Ben Weasel. I bet if some famous hip indie rock front man was in the same situation, everyone would be on his side.

Anyway, hitting people is not cool. Unless yr Jay Reatard.
Quote by element4433
Fugazi stopped that whole danger thing and we're all better off for it.

Yeah, you can be confrontational without being violent of course. I saw The Black Halos before they broke u a few years back, and they showed this. Billy Hopeless even addressed it by saying "We love to f*ck, not fight... if you would rather fight than f*ck... than YOU are a f*ck". But at the same time he was in peoples faces the whole time. It should not resort to violence. But there is a certain thrill in it as well I think. Nothing should be totally safe.

As said,I am not supporting or condoning what Ben did.. it is a POS thing to do.
Quote by neidnarb11890
The problem is that nobody (outside of this thread) gives a shit about Ben Weasel. I bet if some famous hip indie rock front man was in the same situation, everyone would be on his side.

oh Jay... you were awesome. Still a great clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oweXYLB37A
Quote by element4433
She's wrong, but he's wrong too. Definitely more wrong because he could have ended it quickly in a way that doesn't involve punching a anybody in the face.

How by calling security? The venue owner? You mean the people he was talking shit on the entire night? The girl was friends with the owner of the venue. It's not likely they would of kicked her out. Things escalate and she seemed pretty adamant about starting shit with him. Basically from what I've read she was some drunk as **** punk chick that figured she could start shit and he couldn't do anything because she was female.
I'm an asshole.
Quote by neidnarb11890

On the Pop Punk Bored, where about half the people love him and half of them hate him, you get tons of people defending him. Mr. Weasel is older than my dad, and he tried to fight some girl who spat on him. When he had a microphone, and could have easily gotten security to kick her out. That is so pitiful and sad.

I think they were both just as wrong in the situation, but Ben was obviously moreso because he threw punches. Also, it is now being speculated the whole ting was a hoax. Part of his expert marketing plan. I think that's bull, but whatever. It COULD be part of his marketing plan though
Last edited by due 07 at Mar 19, 2011,
Quote by lookpizza
How by calling security? The venue owner? You mean the people he was talking shit on the entire night? The girl was friends with the owner of the venue. It's not likely they would of kicked her out. Things escalate and she seemed pretty adamant about starting shit with him. Basically from what I've read she was some drunk as **** punk chick that figured she could start shit and he couldn't do anything because she was female.
So punching a girl in the face was the right thing to handle it?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by due 07
On the Pop Punk Bored, where about half the people love him and half of them hate him, you get tons of people defending him. Mr. Weasel is older than my dad, and he tried to fight some girl who spat on him. When he had a microphone, and could have easily gotten security to kick her out. That is so pitiful and sad.

"Hey security of this venue I hate that I've been talking nothing but shit about for the past half of my set. Can you do me a favor and kick out this person that is heckling me? Yea thanks."

It was evident there was a situation. If security was gonna do something, they would've before it got to that point.
I'm an asshole.
Quote by element4433
So punching a girl in the face was the right thing to handle it?

I never said that. It is a completely understandable reaction though.
I'm an asshole.
Quote by lookpizza
"Hey security of this venue I hate that I've been talking nothing but shit about for the past half of my set. Can you do me a favor and kick out this person that is heckling me? Yea thanks."

It was evident there was a situation. If security was gonna do something, they would've before it got to that point.

Throwing a tantrum and punching everyone in sight was not the right way to handle that situation.

Anyways, this interview was the night before the show. It foreshadowed the event pretty well.

http://www.aux.tv/newmusic/music-news/sxsw-2011-questionnaire-ben-weasel-of-screeching-weasel/
My favorite part:
Quote by Ben Weasel
We put on a better show when cold hard cash is exchanging hands.
Security, srsly? You guys gotta quit bein' such pussies, we're talking about punk rock here.

What he shouldda done was what Patti Smith did in that Rockpalast video, where she just goes up to the crowd and is all "SETTLE THE FUCK DOWN, MAN."
I don't think punching her in the face is understandable and natural. I think it's not understandable and unnatural. Cuz you shouldn't punch people.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Someone provoked him unreasonably and he punched them. That is the fact of the matter. Sure he shouldn't of resorted to that but he did. GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES.
I'm an asshole.
Quote by element4433
I don't think punching her in the face is understandable and natural. I think it's not understandable and unnatural. Cuz you shouldn't punch people.

I'd like to walk into your house, pour a beer on you, throw something in your face, verbally insult you, and then spit on you. Then watch you say you don't have the urge to punch me.
I'm an asshole.
Quote by lookpizza
I'd like to walk into your house, pour a beer on you, throw something in your face, verbally insult you, and then spit on you. Then watch you say you don't have the urge to punch me.
How are those comparable at all? Ben Weasel doesn't live at that club.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by lookpizza
Someone provoked him unreasonably and he punched them. That is the fact of the matter. Sure he shouldn't of resorted to that but he did. GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES.
High horse=not punching women in the face?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

I don't feel like anyone, regardless of how big of an asshole they are, needs to be punched unless they are trying to seriously injure you.
Quote by element4433
High horse=not punching women in the face?

High Horse = You acting like you're better than him and that you wouldn't have the urge to punch that woman in the face as well.

Start a band Collin, come tour California so I can pour beer on you and throw things in your face and insult you and spit on you. I'll be expecting you to say "thank you sir may I have another".
I'm an asshole.
Quote by due 07
I don't feel like anyone, regardless of how big of an asshole they are, needs to be punched unless they are trying to seriously injure you.

I would 100% rather be punched than spit on. Especially by Ben Weasel, the dude is tiny.
I'm an asshole.
I'd belittle you Ian MacKaye style.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by lookpizza
High Horse = You acting like you're better than him and that you wouldn't have the urge to punch that woman in the face as well.

Start a band Collin, come tour California so I can pour beer on you and throw things in your face and insult you and spit on you. I'll be expecting you to say "thank you sir may I have another".

Urge to punch someone in the face =/= punching someone in the face
I'd be drunk and in a venue full of my friends owned by my friends good luck with your belittling having any affect.
I'm an asshole.
Page 1 of 4