Hi,

looking for a bit of advice about pups-

Had Alnico 2 Pro's in my Les Paul for a few months and liked the tone but they were nowhere near hot enough.

Swapped em out for a JB in the Bridge and Jazz in the neck but I REALLY don't like the JB, the bottom end is too wooly and not tight enough, the Jazz is OK but not right.

I'm after something with medium/hot output, the main thing I really want is clarity and a good balance of lows/mids/highs. I used to use EMG's for a long time and like the balance in terms of EQ but they are a bit harsh for what i'm after now. Love the 60 in the neck but I want more tone

Amp wise its going with an AFD100 which is pretty toppy.

Suggestions would be appreciated.
Maybe Dimarzio?

A Tone Zone or PAF Pro might be good, not too high output but responsive with a tight bottom end, same with the Evolution. And the Steve's Special is great too if you like that Greg Howe/Rob Balducci sound.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by jscustomguitars
Hi,

looking for a bit of advice about pups-

Had Alnico 2 Pro's in my Les Paul for a few months and liked the tone but they were nowhere near hot enough.

Swapped em out for a JB in the Bridge and Jazz in the neck but I REALLY don't like the JB, the bottom end is too wooly and not tight enough, the Jazz is OK but not right.

I'm after something with medium/hot output, the main thing I really want is clarity and a good balance of lows/mids/highs. I used to use EMG's for a long time and like the balance in terms of EQ but they are a bit harsh for what i'm after now. Love the 60 in the neck but I want more tone

Amp wise its going with an AFD100 which is pretty toppy.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Slash's Alnico 2's are hotter.

If youre open to Dimarzio, Try a breed bridge in the bridge and a paf pro in the neck
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Then try that dimarzio set i posted. Its very paf like but about as hot as a JB/Jazz set except the dimarzios are much more clear, and have more life. and sound much better. I think that you'll like it.
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
if you wanna stick with duncan, maybe one of the customs in the bridge? I agree with you about the JB in les pauls, they kinda end up being too muddy yet too bright at the same time, which is weird, and the les paul's thick body accentuates the big mid spike they have too

Is heat a problem with the neck pickup? what didn't you like about the jazz?

Dimarzios are probably worth a look too, just I don't have any experience of them in LPs, or with the models I assume you might want (I'm guessing medium to medium high output, considering you liked the alnico II pros but just want a bit more heat?)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cool, cheers might give the Dimarzio's a try.

Quite liked the Jazz in the neck, i'm looking for more of a chimey sound, some more attack. Kinda like the EMG 60.
The SD Custom is similar to a JB only with a tighter bottom-end. Even though it's ceramic it's got quite a good vintage voicing.

The SD Phat Cat might be a good pick for you in the neck. P-90s and the Jazz don't sound too different from each other but P-90s are that little bit clearer in the mids and have a tiny bit more treble with more "bite". They have a slightly lower DC reading but the actual output isn't all that different. In fact DC isn't a completely accurate way to tell output anyway and the amount it effects your tone is very little so I wouldn't worry about that so much, especially for the neck pickup.

A DiMarzio PAF Pro might be a good neck pickup for you too. It's not quite as smooth as the Jazz but it's not quite as harsh as an EMG 60 is. The Bluesbucker might be a good choice too although it's output is low-average with not much mid strength to drive the amp.

Bare Knuckle Mules might be what you're looking for too. All-rounders with just a hair more output than the A2Ps.
An air norton neck and tone zone bridge might work for you (dimarzio). Have you tried pushing the amp with a boost or something? I use low output (8-9k) pickups for everything including metal an they scream with a boost. Just an idea.

Oops, just thought of it, idk about the bridge, as they're vintage output, but I played a guitar(not prs) that someone had put PRS 57/08's in and the neck pickup was so 3d and chimey and hand so much life to it. Was my favorite pickup set by far I've tried yet and sounds like what you're describing in a neck pickup. Might be worth looking at.
Quote by jscustomguitars
Cool, cheers might give the Dimarzio's a try.

Quite liked the Jazz in the neck, i'm looking for more of a chimey sound, some more attack. Kinda like the EMG 60.

i think i know what you mean- i haven't tried an emg 60, but i have a jazz, and it's very smooth/warm. Personally i'd like a bit more treble/openness/airiness too.

it's a bit of a safe choice (considering how ubiquitous they are), but even a '59 would probably work in the neck position.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?