Hey guys,

My friend needs a bass amp for band practice and small gigs. He has $400-500 to spend and plays rock with an Epiphone Thunderbird Pro (4 strings). His current amp is a Laney RB1, obviously not loud enough. Any suggestion? I played bass a few months ago but I'm absolutely no expert.

Thanks.
Well, you always want to have more headroom volume wise when it comes to guitar amps. I mean i could dish out 10 different amps if you wanted me to. But that won't do you much good b/c you have to play the amps to see for youself.

Browse around craigslist, and then do some research on such selected ad. I found a fender amp for 250 that went for round 700 new and like 500 used.
Quote by zipmike
I sucked my grandma's dick for a dollar when I was 8.
could do with more info

used?
tones wanted?
necessary features?
What do the guitarists have, does the drummer play hard?
combo/stack?

etc
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
could do with more info

used?
tones wanted?
necessary features?
What do the guitarists have, does the drummer play hard?
combo/stack?

etc
1. I don't think he wants used.
2. A warm tone for rock (no metallic sound).
3. Not sure about this.
4. The guitarist got a 100W solid state amp, not sure about the model. The drummer doesn't play hard.
5. Combo.

Thanks.
I got tired of lugging my 600-watt refrigerator amp back and forth to practice sessions so I bought a new Acoustic B200H head and B115 cab for $400 from MF. It's also available as a combo unit for $350.

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Bass/Bass-Amplifiers-Effects/Bass-Amplifiers/Bass-Amp-Stacks/B200H-200W-Bass-Head-and-B115-250W-1x15-Bass-Cab-Package-Regular.site1sku483494000000000.sku

I tried the B100 combo amp first and it wasn't loud enough (we practice pretty loudly and the guitarist uses a 150W amp.). The B200 is loud enough to cut through during practice sessions but I have to crank it to 3/4 max level. We do a lot of classic rock covers so the 1 x 15" cab gives a nice warm tone, especially when I'm playing one of my basses with flats. One of my basses is a Gibson SG reissue with flats, and the Acoustic does a better job of making it sound good than most other amps I've experimented with. Naturally, it sounds great with a P or J bass as well.

I'm sure there are other brands under $500 new that would work equally well. I'm just throwing in my $.02 on the Acoustic. It's a viable solution as long as your guitarist stays with an amp in the 100W-150W range.
Last edited by VeloDog at Mar 20, 2011,