The American Special.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
why go cheap american when you could prob get better high end MIM ones?
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
The Highway 1 sells for about US$700.00 new. That should be the least expensive U.S.A.-made Fender Stratocaster on the market today. Don't believe the B.S. that some people will tell you claiming that the Highway 1 isn't made in the U.S.A. or that it is assembled in the U.S.A. from Mexican parts. It uses Mexican pickups and some of the hardware is made there, but the guitar is made in the U.S.A. I've been to the factory and I've seen them do it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
American Special Fenders sound good/feel cheap IMO.

Japanese Fenders across the board sound good/feel good/are cheaper than US. On every Jap Fender I've seen there's been awesome fretwork.

US Fenders are still great, though I think the pricing has gone a little strange. It seems I got my USA Strat new for an absolute steal.

(Anyone else in the UK note how all those stores that said they weren't going to pass on the cost of higher VAT have bumped up the prices of decent guitars by approx 10%. That's a lot more than the 2.5% increase the *uckers. And all this after the recession in which instrument shops are said to have had a massive boost in business. *ankers)
Last edited by Duv at Mar 19, 2011,
Quote by FatalGear41
The Highway 1 sells for about US$700.00 new. That should be the least expensive U.S.A.-made Fender Stratocaster on the market today. Don't believe the B.S. that some people will tell you claiming that the Highway 1 isn't made in the U.S.A. or that it is assembled in the U.S.A. from Mexican parts. It uses Mexican pickups and some of the hardware is made there, but the guitar is made in the U.S.A. I've been to the factory and I've seen them do it.

Highway 1 Series is really underrated. I played a Highway 1 Tele and it was the best-feeling Fender I've ever used, more so even than a Custom Shop reissue. They have a bit hotter sound than typical Fenders, which I like.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
I personally thought the highway 1 strats i have played didn't sound or feel nearly as good as the standard usa and pale in comparison to my deluxe. Also i think the matte pqint job looks cheap and unfinished. Look into second hand japanese fenders, not all of them are great but you can find a gem every now and then.
Thanx 4 the help.I was actually thinking about a Fender Classic Player '50s Stratocaster mim.I live in Germany so gear can be hard to come by.Can anyone suggest a good Japanese strat?
Last edited by denied at Mar 19, 2011,
Mid-late 80s Fenders in general kick all sorts of ass and other than the Custom Shop and Vintage RI models they go fairly cheap. The old MIJ Squiers are killer too and go for $400-$500.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I think either the Highway one or the Special.

Jay Turser: JT-134DC
Epiphone: G-400
Gibson: SG Special Faded Cherry

Line 6: Spider III 15-watt
Marshall Haze 40

DOD FX65 Chorus
Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ
EH4800 Small Stone Phase Shifter
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Deltalab Tube Overdrive TO1