Page 1 of 3
Okay, i got into an argument on another thread about what makes people say heavy music like metal so much better than mellow music. I'm talking Sabbath or Metallica against Brand New or Death Cab for Cutie. I no doubt have respect for and very much enjoy heavy music, but i also really like more mellow "alternative" music.

Basically, I want to know why people go towards the heavy or "brutal" genres and put everything else down.
Low self-esteem.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
What makes mellow music so much better?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Kensai
Low self-esteem.

Small penises.

For a while it just didn't do anything for me. Now I listen to whatever depending on my mood. My iPod always gives me the opposite of what I want on shuffle.

EDIT: ^What makes mellow music?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Sabbath and Metallica have plenty of mellow songs, particularly Sabbath.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by HomeRecording
Okay, i got into an argument on another thread about what makes people say heavy music like metal so much better than mellow music. I'm talking Sabbath or Metallica against Brand New or Death Cab for Cutie. I no doubt have respect for and very much enjoy heavy music, but i also really like more mellow "alternative" music.

Basically, I want to know why people go towards the heavy or "brutal" genres and put everything else down.

Some people are 13 and like to feel superior because the music they're listening to sounds like cookie monster screaming into a coffee can.
Quote by BladeSlinger

EDIT: ^What makes mellow music?

Quote by CrossBack7
Elitism. It is in every genre.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by SlipknotRule93
Sabbath and Metallica have plenty of mellow songs, particularly Sabbath.

solitude.
I just like it for the sound of it, mostly.

There are a few things: Rebellion, aggression, doing things to piss off old people, the technicality of it, etc.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Momentosis

Not melons you buffoon!
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I love progressive metal, so much fun to play drums to. I'm not saying either is better, i just want to know why there's so many people that immediately put a band down for not screaming or using high gain.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Not melons you buffoon!

Quote by CrossBack7
I think that I enjoy music in a wide range of styles. However when it comes to heavier music like heavy metal, I feel like stylistically and lyrically many artists lack subtlety. It seems to me that many artists try to sound as brutal as possible and overpower the listener with 'intensity of sound'. I find that that gets old quickly...

Whereas with more mellow music, I find that it lends itself to a wider sub-range of styles and directions.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Does the Blues and certain songs by metal bands count as "mellow music?" Otherwise I prefer metal. Loud, empowering, and oddly soothing. Softer stuff just doesn't do it for me, I find it boring as crap. But that's just me.
lol @ this whole thread.

Anyway, I like most genres of music. Depends on my mood. I tend to write a lot of metal, but I listen to a lot of more relaxed music too.
its because this is a site mainly of kids under 16 and all they do is listen to metal. I listen to it alot but i also enjoy mellower music. They just dont have any respect for anything but suicide silence type of stuff because to them that is what is elite and popular.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by RPGoof
lol @ this whole thread.

Anyway, I like most genres of music. Depends on my mood. I tend to write a lot of metal, but I listen to a lot of more relaxed music too.

Just curious, what do you consider the more relaxed music that you listen to?
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Neither is better.
I listen to all kinds of music except Pop, and I can tell that people who focus on a specific musical genre don't really like music at all, and just listen to it to gain certain social status.
To actually add to this thread Brian Eno pwns every single metal band.

lol opinions are fun!
Subjectivity. I like heavier stuff and mellower stuff. Just depends on my mood. Neither is objectively "better" though.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by Somekid94
Some people are 13 and like to feel superior because the music they're listening to sounds like cookie monster screaming into a coffee can.

Damn straight. Same with the 13yr old suburban gangsters where I live
Quote by HomeRecording

I think it depends solely on that individual's mood. However, elitists who put down other sorts of music usually have not heard a band they liked or heard one band they hated and assumed all other bands of similar genre are generic copies.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
I love both, music has to be heavy, mellow, both or in between to express emotions. Otherwise it's just noise.
If someone can't respect other styles of music it's like fruit, has to ripen or grow.
Hola.
Quote by iceh88
its because this is a site mainly of kids under 16 and all they do is listen to metal. I listen to it alot but i also enjoy mellower music. They just dont have any respect for anything but suicide silence type of stuff because to them that is what is elite and popular.

Please, generalize more. I see more of the Deathcore/Metalcore crowd going into Electronica and Hip Hop than "true" Metal people.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Somekid94

This

There's

NEVER

enough

GAIN

Quote by Damaged Roses
This

Could you be any more of a hypocrite?

"I can't understand what he says in the song! His music sucks. How dare he act superior when the music I listen to is CLEARLY better because the whiny singer is singing and not 'screaming like Cookie Monster into a can.'"
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I can see where this thread is going.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by ChucklesMginty
This is why I dislike other metal fans.

Yeah, same here for the most part. I like the music in and of itself, concerts are fun but I'm not a jackass to other people.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Yeah, same here for the most part. I like the music in and of itself, concerts are fun but I'm not a jackass to other people.

+1

I'm definitely a Metal fan primarily and heaviness attracts me. This doesn't mean I can't find heaviness in different types of music and appreciate a mellow song. You can't truly appreciate more prog bands like Opeth or Cynic without having an appreciation for different styles. Metal is effective the same thing from sub-genre to sub-genre with small variations. I understand why not everyone likes it.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I listen to mellower music more. Cause I don't have to be in a certain mood to listen to it as i'm a really mellow person.

I like to listen to heavy music, but it has to be the right time due to my personality.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I don't think metal is superior or anything, I just happen to enjoy it more. I like some "mellow" stuff too but metal is where it's at for me. Simple as that I guess, just a personal connection.
Page 1 of 3