Hey guys. I need a bit of advice. I've been playing guitar seriously for about 1 and a half years and I'm at a loss on how to get better. I learned the pentatonic scale and all its modes and how to improvise over blues backing tracks. The real question is, Where do I go from here?
learn new techniques such as sweep picking, learn chords, learn the diatonic scale and all its modes, learn more theory... enough to learn still
The real question is where do you want to go?

How do you want to sound? What sort of music do you want to play? It's all very well and good asking what to do next but unless you know where you want to end up it's pretty pointless asking how to get there, no?

Also: don't use the term modes. Since you've used it with regards to the pentatonic scale I can only assume you're using it in entirely the wrong way so forget all about modes for now.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

How do you want to sound? What sort of music do you want to play? It's all very well and good asking what to do next but unless you know where you want to end up it's pretty pointless asking how to get there, no?

Also: don't use the term modes. Since you've used it with regards to the pentatonic scale I can only assume you're using it in entirely the wrong way so forget all about modes for now.

Well I really enjoy all music. I really like punk rock and all metal and that is what I'd like to play. and ill forget about modes if it'll make me better

lh5g - I've touched on the 3 string sweep. It's incredibly difficult but im getting the hang of it.

Btw, Mind if i add you on PSN Zaphod?
Forgetting about modes won't necessarily make you a better player, but they aren't really useful at all until you have a very thorough understanding of scales and music theory in general. In regards of what to work on, keep your playing clean and work on some of your favorite songs. You will eventually encounter most of the techniques that you will need or use in your style. Don't worry about working on exercises. Instead spend most of your time improvising and using new techniques, and working on songs.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Last edited by Junior#1 at Mar 19, 2011,
Quote by Junior#1
I couldn't have said it better. We need more information on your playing style and things like that. However, one recommendation I can make is to make sure that your playing is clean, and that your muting technique is good.

As I said to Zaphod, I really enjoy rock, punk rock alternative, but most of all the metal genre. I know how to read sheet music and power chords and whatnot. As far as muting, I have a cover I did of one of my favorite metal songs I did. No solo cause no whammy bar :[

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGxDcl-FJ-M&feature=channel_video_title
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

There are technically modes on any scale, albeit they can kind of be synthetic. A pentatonic scale can be anything with five notes, to split hairs. If he's using the term mode to imply starting and ending an A major pentatonic scale on something other than an A (say a B), then he's got the right idea.

To the TS:

Expand your scalar vocabulary. You can play pentatonics over blues progressions, but that's far from the only scale. You can go through different mixolydians, blues, and tons of other scales. It's a bit harder to explain without getting into theory, though.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
I practice alot of songs but I'll always run into something where I can't pick up the speed to play it correctly or some other issue so I feel I'm going nowhere. Are there any things/songs in specific i should learn?
Quote by boosted928
I practice alot of songs but I'll always run into something where I can't pick up the speed to play it correctly or some other issue so I feel I'm going nowhere. Are there any things/songs in specific i should learn?

Slow down the song and work on it a a more manageable tempo, gradually working on getting it faster and cleaner. As your fingers get used to the movements they have to make, it will seem easier to play it at a faster tempo.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Slow down the song and work on it a a more manageable tempo, gradually working on getting it faster and cleaner. As your fingers get used to the movements they have to make, it will seem easier to play it at a faster tempo.

+1, muscle memory is a great tool. It can cause trouble sometimes, but being able to play it slow and building up is a great practice technique.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by boosted928
Btw, Mind if i add you on PSN Zaphod?

Nah, fine if you want

Quote by Chris_Parker
There are technically modes on any scale, albeit they can kind of be synthetic. A pentatonic scale can be anything with five notes, to split hairs. If he's using the term mode to imply starting and ending an A major pentatonic scale on something other than an A (say a B), then he's got the right idea.

No he hasn't and it's that attitude that gives people the wrong idea about modes.

You may arrive at a mode that way but that isn't how they're used in the real world of music, that kind of attitude leads to people playing over an A minor progression, switching to the 7th fret and thinking they're playing in B Locrian when they're still actually in A minor.

As I said, TS should forget modes for now because until you understand conventional tonal harmony and application they just complicate the issue.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Nah, fine if you want

No he hasn't and it's that attitude that gives people the wrong idea about modes.

You may arrive at a mode that way but that isn't how they're used in the real world of music, that kind of attitude leads to people playing over an A minor progression, switching to the 7th fret and thinking they're playing in B Locrian when they're still actually in A minor.

As I said, TS should forget modes for now because until you understand conventional tonal harmony and application they just complicate the issue.

Definitely agreed (To the beginning and end statements). That example is definitely the wrong way about it, but I didn't say the guy had it nailed. He's beginning an understanding that needs to be clearly refined.
Quote by Pauldapro
Quote by Junior#1

Like the 21 Day challenge? I took a brief look at the summarized version and from the way I interpreted it, it seems like you just take a song or part of a song, slow it down and speed it up as is gets easier and easier to play at those slower tempos. And regarding modes, I'm going to forget about them (for now until I really go to brush up on my music theory and musical terms).
Quote by boosted928
Like the 21 Day challenge? I took a brief look at the summarized version and from the way I interpreted it, it seems like you just take a song or part of a song, slow it down and speed it up as is gets easier and easier to play at those slower tempos. And regarding modes, I'm going to forget about them (for now until I really go to brush up on my music theory and musical terms).

Actually the 21 day challange is all about staying at that low tempo for all of the 21 days. That way you really train your muscle memory and theoretically at the end of the 21 days you should be able to play it up to speed if not much better than you did before.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Actually the 21 day challange is all about staying at that low tempo for all of the 21 days. That way you really train your muscle memory and theoretically at the end of the 21 days you should be able to play it up to speed if not much better than you did before.

Really? I haven't tried it but does it work? I mean yeah, it seems that it could work and its well thought out, but if I try to play.... the intro to A Cold Day In Hell by Parkway Drive for example, would I really be able to go from a slow tempo to playing it that fast?
PSN - Boosted928
Quote by boosted928
Really? I haven't tried it but does it work? I mean yeah, it seems that it could work and its well thought out, but if I try to play.... the intro to A Cold Day In Hell by Parkway Drive for example, would I really be able to go from a slow tempo to playing it that fast?

I haven't tried it myself but everyone I know who has or who has reported back in the thread that I'm aware of has seen generally positive results.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Learning the notes helped me out. I'm not really sure why, but I think it made me more comfortable.
Hm.. Maybe i should give that a try. Well are there any other things other than becoming more familiar with the notes on the fretboard than i already am and improving my musical theory/vocabulary and possibly the 21 day challenge to make myself a better overall player?
PSN - Boosted928
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Couldn't agree more.