Okay, lets all try to collaborate on the best free, and legal, of course Virtual Studio Instruments on the web today.

because who wants to pay, when you can get a free alternative?

I'll start:

Odsay:

An ARP Odyssey Emulation

http://www.vst4free.com/ftpvst4.php?win32=ODSay.zip

Features: 2VCO, 1 LFO, S&H, Filter ASDR, Amp ASDR, Delay, Chorus

Pros: Great Sound, Authenticity,

Cons: Tough to program if you don't know about Semi-Modular synthesizers

Organized Trio

A Hammond B3 Emulation

http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=dl&b=144 (includes: Organized Trio, MrRay Electric Piano, MrRay73 (see below), MrTramp (wurlitzer EP), Effectizer (VST effects), and MrDonald (leslie sim)

Features: Drawbars for each manual/pedal, Overdrive/Amp Sim (for those great Deep Purple sounds!), Awesome Leslie sim, Percussion, Vibrato, Chorus, Midi Channel Manual assignment

Pros: Awesome Organ sound!

Cons: If you don't donate $15 to him, you get an annoying Nag screen for 1 min at startup for the rest of your life...

Mr. Ray 73

Rhodes/Wurlitzer Electric Piano Emulation

http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=dl&b=144 (includes: Organized Trio, MrRay Electric Piano, MrRay73 (see below), MrTramp (wurlitzer EP), Effectizer (VST effects), and MrDonald (leslie sim)

Features: Total Synthesis (no samples), Full control over the contour of your sound, use VST tremolo and chorus effects

Pros: Very "Rhodish" sound

Cons: No onboard effects..

MiniMougeVa

A Minimoog Emulation

http://glenstegner.com/MinimogueVA.zip

Features: 3x VCO, Filter ASDR, Amp ASDR, 3rd VCO LFO, Onboard Chorus, Poly, Distortion, AutoPan (to an LFO)

Pros: Good Sounds, Looks Cool/ Easy GUI

Cons: Sounds kinda "digital"

Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
well this is rather lonely...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Nice of you to try this, and put in the snapshots, but there's already threads for this, including one where someone set up a site to host blogs with reviews of plug-ins etc.

If you use the searchbar I'm sure you'll find it.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by creeping.death!
Anything released by these guys.

If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
Yo dawg, I heard you like Nintendo, so we put some VST's on your computer to make chiptunes while you -- I have no idea where I was going with this.

Anyways, these three free VSTs are awesome for making chiptune songs and nintendo noises:

Reaper isn't exactly free but the demo is non-crippling, well that's a DAW but my point is that it comes with all kinds of free VST's to get you started and they're quite useful
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Yo dawg, I heard you like Nintendo, so we put some VST's on your computer to make chiptunes while you -- I have no idea where I was going with this.

Anyways, these three free VSTs are awesome for making chiptune songs and nintendo noises:

Thanks dawg, now I won't have to beat my NES with a metal chain to make it "chip tunes" for me..
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
Few free plugins....

The Variety Of Sounds plugins have a few pretty cool things (nice compressor I sometimes use) -> http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/vst-effects/

Antress Modern Plugins have a few cool VSTs (I tend to use the limiter occasionally)->
http://www.kvraudio.com/db/modern_plugins_by_antress

I also mess with Izotope Vinyl sometimes to get a vinyl sound on some sounds (like piano)

For the most part all my effects are from Cakewalk Sonitus:FX Plugin Suite or The ones that come with FL. I have quite a few free ones just not sure off top of head which are great.

As for VSTi's...those are dependent on the type of music you are aiming for....
These two are pretty popular.

W1 Limiter

GClip

There's a ton of popular amp sims too, but there are threads dedicated to that so I won't post them.

Quote by Joe-Floyd-lover
Thanks dawg, now I won't have to beat my NES with a metal chain to make it "chip tunes" for me..
What? No need to be that way. Those are some of the best free VSTs for those sounds. Just because they might not appeal to you doesn't mean they won't to others.

Some great ones for 8bit musical notes are:

fficial%26prmd%3Divns">Magical 8bit Plug-in.
(looks different on every DAW)

Basic 64

Chip 32
Quote by Josher.K
Reaper isn't exactly free but the demo is non-crippling, well that's a DAW but my point is that it comes with all kinds of free VST's to get you started and they're quite useful
Reaper may not be technically free, but a lot of the plug-ins are.

http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/
pictures all over the page.

Great pack for usage in any DAW 100% free and no need to go through Reaper.
Quote by FireHawk
I also mess with Izotope Vinyl sometimes to get a vinyl sound on some sounds
^^^

Izotope make great products. Most of them have pretty functional demos unlike some companies and Vinyl is free.

Izotope Vinyl
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Mar 21, 2011,
kjaerhus audio had some nice free vsts out a while ago, but theve closed down now. the classic series are the free ones. while kjaerhus has closed down, you might be able to find someplace where they are still for download.
Sorry if that joke was misunderstood..

I actually DL'd those vsts and they are pretty cool...

I was just joking and meant no offense by it..

Sorry

Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
Quote by Joe-Floyd-lover
Sorry if that joke was misunderstood..

I actually DL'd those vsts and they are pretty cool...

I was just joking and meant no offense by it..

Sorry

haha alright, I couldn't tell if you were trying to be mean or just kidding. no biggie ;D
Bumpage for the potential this thread has.

I've got a few I gotta get links and post in the near future
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
All of the VST's that come with Cubase AI4 are awesome. Covered most everything I need except a 31 band EQ and Amp Sims. These VST's actually have really good presets. They have about 20 presets each. I sometimes find myself adjusting a VST then later realizing there's already a preset very similar to my settings.
..I was watching my death.