Poll: Sand/file your nails?
Poll Options
View poll results: Sand/file your nails?
Yep, I play class guitar
7 39%
Yeah, I just like it
2 11%
No, don't like it/doesn't help me
5 28%
gaaaaaayyyyy
4 22%
Voters: 18.
It's generally a classical thing to file the nails on your picking hand (I use rough sandpaper to shape, then 600 grit for godlike smoothness), but I've found that it helps loads with fingerpicking in any style.

I myself am a jazz major, but I play a bunch of rockabilly, and I love the snap I can get out of the strings. Anybody else use this for their nails?

If so, how often do you have to explain to employers, colleagues, friends, etc. why you have "chick nails?"
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
I use 1200 grid or more even, actually, I polish rather than sand them as it won't sound as scratchy on nylon strings. I'm also 6'3'' and broad as a door, noone asks me about no chick nails.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Totally, I'm a good half a foot or so shorter, but long nails don't transcend masculinity to some folks, I guess. I've been using 600 just because it's what's in the garage, and I'm out of the higher grit.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
i just bite mine...
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
I find using a matchbox (not the part you use to strike the match!) to put the final polish on shaped nails works a dream.

As for the questions about my masculinity.... meh.
I should probably clarify, I'm not making a masculinity question, strike that completely. I meant getting asked about the nails or a compulsion to explain after and handshake and they give you a look because they have no idea about it
Quote by Pauldapro
I just clip mine on a regular basis.

And why is the in Guitar Techniques instead of The Pit?
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Because it's technique-related.
Quote by Pauldapro