Hey guys, didn't know where I should put this but I didn't want to go to the pit. I'm looking to teach myself piano and my theory teacher told us that a keyboard would help us a lot in college. She said 88 keys would be the best but is it needed? I found this one at Best Buy and I loved how it felt, and the price wasn't too bad. Especially if I can find it used.

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-NP30-Digital-Keyboard?sku=702663

I would want one that feels like a real piano like that one, I played a bunch of ones with plastic keys that I didn't like. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks, Godbless.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
It sounds as though what you want is a keyboard with a weighted hammer action, which is what gives the keys that "piano" feel. This is about the cheapest one I can find that I would recommend:

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Keyboards-MIDI/Digital-Pianos/Home-Digital-Pianos/CDP-100-88-Note-Weighted-Hammer-Action-Digital-Piano.site1prod706083.product

It plays and sounds pretty good, and it is perfect for learning to play.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I own a Casio Privia PX-130

http://www.zzounds.com/item--CASPX130

It is probably the best piano in its price range to offer real piano action...

If you go for the two pianos already posted, they are just going to keep making you want more..

Might as well bite the bullet and buy the Privia..

Btw, your teacher is right about needing the 88 keys...

You don't want to start octave switching during a practice/performance...

I used to play "synth" action keyboards when I started learning, and then when I switched over to Hammer Action, the muscles in my fingers weren't developed enough to play really fast...

Think of it as lifting weights for your fingers..

You should try to lift weights as heavy as you can, so your fingers can get "ripped" xD

You may not notice, but after two weeks of playing a hammer action piano, I went back to my synth action keyboard, and It was really easy to play.

This is because the muscles in my fingers were exercising on heavy weights, so after a while they got stronger.
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
I can't afford a $500 piano, especially since I'm just starting off and who knows if I will continue with it, but I will use it for homework or arranging. Also, the $260 Yamaha one I played felt great.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Thanks for all the suggestions but most of them are too high in price. I'm going to say I have a budget of $300, just looking to maybe start out, and help with my theory homework.

Yeeouch
Unfortunately for keyboardists, decent keyboards really don't start till the $500 mark
Here's what I would look into as a starting piano
- 88 keys with some weight to them
- Headphone jack and onboard speakers
- Lightweight

Really important is the weighted keys.

For starting out, I would look at the Casio Cdp 100. $350 not including a stand or sustain pedal, but best bang for the buck. Some people find the casio line more of a toy than an instrument but their quality have gone way up
I wouldn't look at anything yamaha below a P85
The casio in the second post will feel a lot better than the yamaha. The np30 is awesome for its portability, but it still feels far from real,

The casio mentioned here have real nice keys. I have a PX330 which is the same as the PX130 but with more instruments. The PX130 is really worth it, as it will be something you probably wont want to upgrade from. The sound is amazing as is the feel
Last edited by nyandres at Mar 20, 2011,