Hello !

I have the Fender FM212R but I am not very happy with it. The sound is to... how to say it... Not "warm" enough. Too agressive. I can't get the sound I want.

My favorite band is The Strokes and they have the Fender Hot Rod.

I would like to buy that amp, but I don't know, will it really be better ? Because it's expensive!

My guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Custom (57 classic pickups).

Thanks!!!
yes it will.

go buy it.

but consider other alternatives.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
yes. it will be a million times better. be sure you get a good overdrive pedal to go with it. where are you located? check your craigslist.
Well I mean, that's the amp The Strokes have. And I love their sound. So I figured, with an good OD pedal I'm all set ?
Well it is a nice amp, and even though I'm not a fan, I've seen a lot of people love and adore it, I sincerely doubt you'd go wrong with it, but try it first ;-)
most people like very bright cleans, and I happen to like extremely dark cleans, so it's not surprising that I don't really like it
Oh I see, well when I play clean I don't really want too warm, just a certain "in the middle". But my FM212R is really awful. But seeing how much is the HRD I was a bit worried that it might not be a big step forward.

But it is then
The cleans on a HRD are great. If you're looking for an affordable clean amp platform for pedals, the Hot Rod Deluxe, Blues Deluxe, or Hot Rod Deville are good options. They can be a bit bright though, so it depends on settings, but it will sound nicer than the FM212R for sure.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I want to read that it will TOTALLY MINDBLOWING against the FM212R haha

Oh bytheway, I see you have a Visual Sound Pedal.
Maybe you could help me. I am trying to achieve this sound : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wZwdMSFbHM

I know the band uses a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde but it's too expensive for me, so I was planning on getting the Visual Sound Route 808 OD pedal. Do you know anything about it ? Will it do the job ?
It sounds like you're unsure about purchasing it.

But I can guarantee, that the HRD will be a massive step up from your current amp.
While the HRD isn't exactly a vintage Fender Deluxe Reverb, it's so much better than the FM212R, simply because the FM is Fender's budget amp which they put out simply to get cash from beginners.

Similarly to Marshall's MG series or Line6's Sypders.

So go to a shop, try out the Hot Rod Deluxe, and a few other Fender amps (cos it seems at your price range the only amp that'll get Fender style tones, is a Fender) see if you like it yourself.
Then buy it if it's what you're after.
Unfortunately where I live they don't have that amp in store (they only have Marshall and Orange) so I am going to buy it through internet.

But thanks for reassuring me about the massive step up from the 212R, I was worried about that !

I am really going for the sound of the band The Strokes, and they have that amp, so that's why I want it.
Quote by alans056
I want to read that it will TOTALLY MINDBLOWING against the FM212R haha

Oh bytheway, I see you have a Visual Sound Pedal.
Maybe you could help me. I am trying to achieve this sound : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wZwdMSFbHM

I know the band uses a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde but it's too expensive for me, so I was planning on getting the Visual Sound Route 808 OD pedal. Do you know anything about it ? Will it do the job ?

Well the Route 808 pedal is essentially the Jekyll side of the Jekyll and Hyde. The overdrive side on my Route 66 is pretty much the Jekyll side as well. I dunno about copping the Hyde side which is a bit darker and with more distortion, but it should still sound good for what you want.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Oh so it's the Jekyll side, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much! I bet it will sound great with a HRD and my Les Paul
You should try as many amps as you can, you might find something you like even better than the HRD

Jay Turser: JT-134DC
Epiphone: G-400
Gibson: SG Special Faded Cherry

Line 6: Spider III 15-watt
Marshall Haze 40

DOD FX65 Chorus
Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ
EH4800 Small Stone Phase Shifter
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Deltalab Tube Overdrive TO1
The HRD will give you a much better sound especially on clean tones. If you plan on doing any overdriven tones you will (in my experience) need an OD/Fuzz/Distortion pedal as when you start cranking the drive the amp becomes very harsh and trebely. An OD pedal will allow you to set up the amp EQ to get an awesome clean tone and adjust the tone knob on the pedal to get a decent overdriven tone.
Hope this helps.
Gear:
Fender American Tele (Lefty)
Squier Affinity Strat (Lefty)
Boss DS-1
EHX Small Clone
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Laney LG12
Danelectro FAB Flanger (Rubbish)
OK then,putting an overdrive pedal in front of it will give you an uber-cool, superbly fantastic, crushtastic, decent OD tone.

On a more serious note an OD/Fuzz/Distortion will allow you to get much better distortion tones than the amp's OD channel does. As said previously I find that the amp's drive channel to be really quite high end rich (lots of treble) which is why I have a DS-1 to give me a bassier, more mid rich tone. And so putting an OD pedal in front of your amp will give you an awesome OD tone to match up to the sparkling cleans. Alternatively a speaker change could solve this.

I can't just say that this amp will be the key to an awesome tone as other people have different views about what sounds good/bad. But to me the HRD would be a huge improvement on a FM212 especially with an OD pedal.

Lecture over
Gear:
Fender American Tele (Lefty)
Squier Affinity Strat (Lefty)
Boss DS-1
EHX Small Clone
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Laney LG12
Danelectro FAB Flanger (Rubbish)
Yeah the drive channel seems to divide a lot of people on this amp. I just bought one about a week ago and it's cleans are beautiful. I found that the drive channel sounds best if you keep it on the "drive" channel (not "more drive") with the gain knob turned down pretty low and then use a bit of a boost/od to thicken it up. Obviously you aren't going to get searing metal leads out of this amp (unless you use a high gain pedal) but IMO the drive channel can do classic rock and blues quite well.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"