So ive been debating wheather to splurge my graduation money on a new(or used) guitar or to build it from scratch. what ive came here to day is for a coupla questions regarding building the body (as i plan to buy the neck from warmoth.) sooo

-how much would a slab of mahogony cost? (enough to build an explorer shape?)
-where can i get routing diagrams?
-what else would i need to do in terms of building an explorer body with holes for a floyd rose tremolo?

hopefully the experienced builders of UG will prevaile!
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Bump? 62 views o.0
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
So ive been debating wheather to splurge my graduation money on a new(or used) guitar or to build it from scratch. what ive came here to day is for a coupla questions regarding building the body (as i plan to buy the neck from warmoth.) sooo

-how much would a slab of mahogony cost? (enough to build an explorer shape?)
-where can i get routing diagrams?
-what else would i need to do in terms of building an explorer body with holes for a floyd rose tremolo?

hopefully the experienced builders of UG will prevaile!

Depends where you are as to how much it will cost for mahogany. Warmoth sells body blanks and can also do the routing for you here: http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/BodyBlank.aspx
In order to build an explorer you need a template or plans for the shape of the body and the position of the holes. There's plenty of places that do templates on the web, some free. There are also some templates here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1190193&page=1

Edit: or you could just get warmoth to do the body too.
Last edited by matt154 at Mar 20, 2011,