Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-22-2016, 08:01 PM   #1
unassimilatedborg

Unusual Guitar Techniques?

so i was browsing the web for styles of randy rhoads and i came across his Crazy Train live on the After Hours show and at the start he made this very scary lick along with some shredding then proceeded to whammy the note by rapidly changing the pickup selection. when i saw that i was like....what the f@#k? who does that? but its so smart because he got a new sound (kids dont try it at home, i did and my bridge pickup is fucked (sort of)). later i came across a improv of randy by someother bloke and what he did was he did a pull off tremolo thing and then bent the string kinda with his right hand and it raised the pitch.
i guess pick sliding was also another thing because, who in the hell thinks of scraping a pick on a string to make a new sound, so it must of been very unusual to people when people first started using it.

is there a word for these moves and is there more unusual techniques when it comes to making different sounds with a guitar

sources:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcoweoZ6jpM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVOfqb81O8k
unassimilatedborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:37 PM   #2
monwobobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by unassimilatedborg
so i was browsing the web for styles of randy rhoads and i came across his Crazy Train live on the After Hours show and at the start he made this very scary lick along with some shredding then proceeded to whammy the note by rapidly changing the pickup selection. when i saw that i was like....what the f@#k? who does that? but its so smart because he got a new sound (kids dont try it at home, i did and my bridge pickup is fucked (sort of)). later i came across a improv of randy by someother bloke and what he did was he did a pull off tremolo thing and then bent the string kinda with his right hand and it raised the pitch.
i guess pick sliding was also another thing because, who in the hell thinks of scraping a pick on a string to make a new sound, so it must of been very unusual to people when people first started using it.

is there a word for these moves and is there more unusual techniques when it comes to making different sounds with a guitar

sources:

lol dude where have you been. pick slides were hardly new when randy was playing. you turn off your neck pickup and toggle the selector switch for stuttering effect again not new idea. sorry randy didn't invent any of those sounds. he was great to see live though.

side note the tv show was filmed here in Rochester NY which was where Ozzy's first US solo show was played (yes i was there)

Last edited by monwobobbo : 01-22-2016 at 11:39 PM.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:49 AM   #3
K33nbl4d3
ayy shakira shakira

This sort of thing tends to be referred to collectively as "extended technique", but in practice people don't use the term much because for the most part it's not as useful as just referring to specific techniques.

And yeah, stuff like using the pickup selector as a killswitch isn't really Randy's invention, but he did look great doing it.
K33nbl4d3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:19 AM   #4
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

I use all kinds of extended techniques. My favorite is using things that aren't a pick instead of a pick. One of my favorites is the Mattias Eklundh comb think where you push a comb across the low string for a weird tremolo effect. I can't get it quite right though, so I need to experiment with different combs.

I have also used pencils, chopsticks, candy canes, a paper fan, the back side of a comb, etc in the fashion of a shamisen paddle. One of my favorites is using a vibrator, but I'm too worried about scratching it. However, if you turn it on (it does not have an E-Bow effect contrary to popular belief), the pickups detect the vibration and it makes a loud noise which reminds me of the chainsaw solo in that Jackyl somg. By varying the speed, you can change pitch and play simple melodies, but it is hard to be accurate and range is limited.

Comma splices killed Steve McNair. When you post a comma splice, you are supporting murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Now you have no excuse...
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:18 AM   #5
Kevštuhri
Thinking of a good title

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
(it does not have an E-Bow effect contrary to popular belief)

I've heard a ton of people say that you can use an old phone as an E-Bow, but I've never tried it because it sounds silly and I don't have phones to spare. Something to do with the battery of the phone being magnetic in some way or something, sounds really far fetched but I've seen way too many people claim it's true to just debunk it right away.

Only thing I've ever substituted for a pick is a coin, and it sucks, wouldn't recommend it, sounds and feels bad. I could try that comb trick though.

EDIT: lol https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ibo...d426712801?mt=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here

Last edited by Kevštuhri : 01-23-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Kevštuhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:43 AM   #6
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

What you need to used is a pressed coin. Don't know if they have them in your country though. It might be a US only thing.

Comma splices killed Steve McNair. When you post a comma splice, you are supporting murder.

Quote:

Old 01-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #7
Kevštuhri
Thinking of a good title

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
What you need to used is a pressed coin. Don't know if they have them in your country though. It might be a US only thing.

I don't think we do, however I think I have one somewhere, I made one when I was on a holiday in Hungary. Yeah I think it would work a lot better, if I can find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Kevštuhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:16 AM   #8
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevštuhri
Only thing I've ever substituted for a pick is a coin, and it sucks, wouldn't recommend it, sounds and feels bad. I could try that comb trick though.

That's a matter of taste really; Brian May (who I don't think anyone would argue has bad tone) has been using old English six pence pieces for his entire career. He swears by them so much that he now has them specifically cast, since they've not been legal tender in this country for a long time

Album.
Legion.
Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:09 PM   #9
Grios

Hey guys, not to take away from the convo but i've been looking and asking for the name of this thing and no one can seem to give me an answer. What do you call when you strum a single string in between the bridge and tailpiece of a guitar?
Grios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:19 PM   #10
teleobrien

The first time I saw the killswitch thing was Tom Morello from RATM in some YouTube Video, I think it was a Bulls On Parade lesson
Also idk if there's a real name for strumming between the bridge and tailpiece, but I know in Running With The Devil Eddie strums the strings behind the nut for a cool sound
teleobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:21 PM   #11
K33nbl4d3
ayy shakira shakira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grios
Hey guys, not to take away from the convo but i've been looking and asking for the name of this thing and no one can seem to give me an answer. What do you call when you strum a single string in between the bridge and tailpiece of a guitar?

I've seen the term "third bridge technique" used to refer to that kind of thing. Otherwise "picking behind the bridge" seems to do the job. I doubt there's a more specific or more formal name for it since it's useful only rarely in a musical context.

For what it's worth, though the term isn't generally applied in modern guitar, the length of string between the bridge and tailpiece is called the afterlength.
K33nbl4d3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:36 PM   #12
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

I finally got my Hipshot bender rigged up. It's neat.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: