Page 3 of 27
wow dr faustus
that was a great way to test the methods

however, i cant judge which one was better cuz:
1. i've only been playing for a few months, therefore i cant really differenciate between them
2. the quality of the video makes it even harder to tell (no offense)
3. i have never heard any of the stuff you played, so i wouldnt know if they were play correctly or not.

so it'd be great if you could have a say in what YOU think was the most efficient
cuz im too nube to tell lol
thanks!
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Very, VERY, helpful site!! Free, too.
Well I'm also too much of a noob to tell - after all I didn't play anything but power chords for half a year, but as for my opinions about the experience:

Generally, the 21 Day Method was more mind-numbingly boring than the Gradual Method, which to me is pretty enjoyable. Playing with a burst of speed every 10 or 20 times through increased the interest level as well. However, the 21 Day Method definately seemed to use the least amount of effort, when compared to the Gradual Method. I'm not sure if I'll do the pure 21 Day Method again - it was pretty painful lol

Dang I just realized I went back to my cruddy vibrato...boo. Maybe I'll use the 21 Day Method for that then...
Welcome to BUCKETHEADLAND

Last edited by Colonel Sanders : Yesterday at 10:54 PM.
Last edited by Dr. Faustus at May 11, 2008,
i'm in. i'll attempt the intro of cowboys from hell & the main riff of battery on bass.

hopefully these will become much less of a beoch in the next 3 weeks.
I'm gonna try through the fire and flames, I can play it, but I'm still sloppy, just like Dragonforce .
If you break a world speed record for a video game, are you a winner, or just someone who REALLY needs to go outside?

Quote by AdemaOnYourHead
My favorite Pokemon is still Dave Mustaine.
Alright, very nice, I've also read about that here in UG, so I'm in! I'll dare to practice No Boundaries.
give me a while lol, still new but will try this.... maybe i should learn Poison Was The Cure by Megadeth this way... huh.. lol, long way off, cant even play a Hash Pipe by Weezer in its entirety yet.... doesnt hurt to set goals though
I'll play, I'll do Beast and the Harlot by Avenged Sevenfold :P love that song.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR <3
ok, i'm in too , i'm going to play No boundaries / Michael Angelo Batio
it does work
my guitar teacher played with gordon lightfoot for many years
he has ALWAYS told me that slow is fast
if you can play the song at a slow speed perfectly, you can go faster
another way to do this method is to start at a very slow speed
every time you play the song fully with NO mistakes, raise your BPM by a very small amount
although this takes longer, it works well, especially for harder songs
SwordsAndAxesMakeYouAGoodFighter

ButTrustAndLoyaltyMakeYouAGoodFriend.....

Add me for Tornado of Souls.

Lets see, we've got the main lick, the verse rhythm, the chorus rhythm, the doubled bridge parts, the solo, the solo rhythm, and the outro part.

That's seven seperate areas. Just to make it a round number I'm dividing the solo into four sections, so that's 10 areas of concentration to practice for x amount of time each.

10 minutes warm up
50 minutes ToS
5 minutes break/stretch/random noodling
50 minutes ToS
5 minutes speed burst(s?) and cooldown stretching.
----------ADDS UP TO----------
2 hours.

Guess I'd better get started.

thefoldaredit: I got myself a little pocket sized notepad so I can jot down what I do, what tempos I use, thoughts about life, etc.

Day 1: Stopped midway because I'm not used to playing this much, don't want to strain hands.

5:40-6:00
Worked on intro part (with the harmonics), first half no tempo to get it under my fingers, 2nd half at 40 bpm. Need to work on consistent downstrokes and using the side of my index finger to mute cleanly after the harmonic notes.

6:00-6:30
Worked on main riff - again, first half no tempo, 2nd half 40 bpm. Need to work on muting cleanly w/ side of index finger, clearing up the 7h8p7, and smooth finger rolls when transitioning strings

6:35-6:45
Worked on verse riff (when vocals come in). Not too difficult, played at 40 bpm the whole time. Need to work on making the alternate picked palm-muted notes consistent.

That's all for now.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Last edited by thefoldarsoldar at May 22, 2008,
Put me down for A Passage to Bangkok by Rush

I've been playing for around 3 years, so it should be relatively easy.
Wouldn't it make more sense to practice it at 20 BPM faster than the normal song? That way playing it at normal pace would feel easier.
GANGSTAAAAAAS!

Chika! Chika! YEAH YEAH!

Quote by SG6578
That is regular hard maple...I'm 100% f*cking d*ck licking sure.
i'm just wondering, would using this method to practice chord changes make sense?
Quote by Third3ye
Wouldn't it make more sense to practice it at 20 BPM faster than the normal song? That way playing it at normal pace would feel easier.
That's like saying, "Oh I want to be able to do a push-up so I'm going to try and benchpress twice my weight so that it feels easier."

It's not about having the normal pace "feel easier."

Rather, proper practice is about training your accuracy with speed as a byproduct...hard to do if you have never played a song before and are trying to do so above tempo.
Quote by avenger86
i'm just wondering, would using this method to practice chord changes make sense?
I'm guessing it would but putting those chord changes in the context of a song will make it significantly less mind numbing.
Welcome to BUCKETHEADLAND

Last edited by Colonel Sanders : Yesterday at 10:54 PM.
*reads reply*
*glances at avatar*
*does a double take*

I thought that didn't sound like Smokey Amp...

How long would you like it to take?
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
I know a lot of people have commented listing songs, but I figure I will too.

I'm doing the solo to "Slither" by Velvet Revolver (I already have the rest down), and some scale-based tremelo picking exercises.
Last edited by Spamwise at May 23, 2008,
Count me in. I'll do In Regards to Myself by Underoath, and Scream, Aim, Fire by Bullet for my Valentine
~Gigantic Underøath fan~
Quote by Jammin'
you've been playing for 7 to 8 EIGHTS?

Also check out my band Smiles In Sickness
Last edited by Bloodoath at May 24, 2008,
Hmm... I think I'll give it a shot; I just can't nail the solo. Crazy Train.
I sued Delta Airlines, 'cause they sold me a ticket to New Jersey, I went there, and it SUCKED.
I've only been playing guitar for 2 months now and I can't play a song all the way through yet. Should I wait till I can or should i just learn a song during the 21 days?
My Gear
Peavy Raptor 1
75w Line 6 Spider lll Amp
Epiphone Les Paul (SH-4 JB Bridge, SH-2 Neck)
Squier Jazz Bass
Crate 30w Amp
Jasmine Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Go for it. Play something simple though.. It simply wouldn't do trying to get you doing the Stairway to Heaven solo.
~Gigantic Underøath fan~
Quote by Jammin'
you've been playing for 7 to 8 EIGHTS?

Also check out my band Smiles In Sickness
Quote by Bloodoath
Go for it. Play something simple though.. It simply wouldn't do trying to get you doing the Stairway to Heaven solo.

Well, stairway to heaven solo isn't really that hard. After 21 days of practice chances are he could do it. But just as an example you're right.

Stick to the basic songs first.
Quote by Ze_Metal
Well, stairway to heaven solo isn't really that hard. After 21 days of practice chances are he could do it. But just as an example you're right.

Stick to the basic songs first.

I think I'm gunna go with What About Now by Daughtry
My Gear
Peavy Raptor 1
75w Line 6 Spider lll Amp
Epiphone Les Paul (SH-4 JB Bridge, SH-2 Neck)
Squier Jazz Bass
Crate 30w Amp
Jasmine Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
sign me up for ratm killing in the name of and for coheed and cambria gravemakers and gunslingers...(bass)
try to get now and laters up for everybody
xbox live gamertag: phillips215
Cool, a lot of people really are doing this. By the way, also listen to Dr. Faustus, he really knows what he's talking about. I updated the list yesterday and today, and yesterday Dr. Faustus gave us a little summary (with video) telling us about three different methods he used. I put it in the main post.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
I'll try it, I guess, on "Scuttle Buttin'" by SRV. Simple riff, or so it seems
I think I'll try:
For the Love of God - Steve Vai
Sweet Child o Mine (solo) - Guns n' Roses
This does work, I do it on Guitar Pro. I highlight the section I want to learn, and then I go to "loop, speed-trainer" and then it'll actually put it on a loop, and increase the sections speed by 10%(or whatever you want) every time.
That's how I learn difficult solos.
"I've taken myself to the edges of life my way. And I'm still here."
Quote by EpicOblivion
This does work, I do it on Guitar Pro. I highlight the section I want to learn, and then I go to "loop, speed-trainer" and then it'll actually put it on a loop, and increase the sections speed by 10%(or whatever you want) every time.
That's how I learn difficult solos.

The procedure posted on here is not the same. It's completely different.