Page 4 of 27
Dude, i'm doing this on Master of Puppets and Don't Fear the Reaper. It sounds like it should work.
I'm gonna do Mr. Crowley. I've been working on this song for awhile and still havn't got either solos down. I got half of the 2nd solo though.
What the hell, I'll do Master of Puppets. I've been working on the first solo anyway.
I get very tense around apples...Well, I get very tense generally. I think I've fallen into the trap of blaming fruit.

Jeff

Peavey Studio Pro 112 for sale. Anyone want it?
I'm so doing this.
Mississippi Queen!
Starting tonight after work.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Yeah sign me up for it. I'll do Inferno by Symphony X. Don't know if I'll get time to do it every day but I'll try.
sig goes here
it worked for me with "spit you out" by bullet. mabey because it a hell of a lot easier than what the others r playin.
Updated list!
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
I'm gonna try this with Snow by Red Hot Chili Peppers and the solo to Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. 21 days seems like a long time though, haha.
i'll give it a go, i usually have difficulty in learning songs all the way through and tend to focus on the main riffs, so this should be good for actually learning the entire song
i'm going to try and learn Satellites and Astronauts by In Flames, even though its not particularly fast, it sounds awesome.
This seems quite interesting. I'll give it a try, I'll work on the solo of Sweet Child O' Mine (hammer-on/pull-off part when the wah kicks in) and F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X. by The Fall Of Troy.

Here I go!
Quote by Munchlaxatives
What the hell, I'll do Master of Puppets. I've been working on the first solo anyway.

After three days, it really worked. Then I had to go back to work and I haven't really practiced since last week. But it really does work!
I get very tense around apples...Well, I get very tense generally. I think I've fallen into the trap of blaming fruit.

Jeff

Peavey Studio Pro 112 for sale. Anyone want it?
i did it before i saw this thread. except not for a set time. i played "symbiotic in theory" at 40 bpm and now im playing it at full speed (220 bpm) after like 2 months lol. shh... that song is fkin hard...
I'm gonna start the experiment now as the summer holidays begin. Gonna do F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X by Fall of Troy
Last edited by Stian16 at Jun 17, 2008,
Haha.

Put me in the list with an song called, shall we say... The slowest song in the world:

FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE

EDIT:

And teh fastest solo eva in Masta of Puppets
Last edited by HeavySam at Jun 17, 2008,
Im 8 days in, and I'm already able to play the song at full speed from memory...
From not knowing the song at all I think that's a good jump.
The rhythm track, mind you, not the leads.
The leads are later.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Updated list! And judging by the amount of quotes from people starting to pop up everywhere in the opening post this does work, even after a couple of days already. Thing is obviously it's a lot more fun to actually practice it fast, but this is more perfect practice and everybody knows:
Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
I'm going to try Battery @ 100 bpm , and Good times, bad times @ 50 bpm.

I just tried this exercise with some sweep picking for just 45 mins and I noticed a huge improvement already.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
So... I'm confused. Say if I can play something cleanly at 120 bpm, and it's supposed to go 160. Do I subract 20 and play it at 100, or just play it at 120?

(And keep this stickied, forever)
Quote by DashBlaster
So... I'm confused. Say if I can play something cleanly at 120 bpm, and it's supposed to go 160. Do I subract 20 and play it at 100, or just play it at 120?

(And keep this stickied, forever)

Yup, you play it 20 beats slower than the speed at which you can perfectly play it, approx. And totally agree with your last sentence.
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Sounds interesting, I'll give it a shot and hey, even if I make a collosall **** up of everything at least I'll be some way into learning something new.

Mr.Big - Green Tinted Sixties Mind (Paul Gilbert version)

I'll be keeping a blogging accounting my progress with this method.
Lyrics, just breaks between killer solos.
Last edited by Cathedral at Jun 27, 2008,
Hey, i think ill join this;

Ill take black knight by deep purple

I would like to learn ..and justice for all, but that look's abit to long (for now)

Just wondering do i break up the song into intro, chorus etc and practice each section until i know all the riff's and then once i can play them slowly but solidly do i start to build up tempo?
What the heck, I'll give it a shot. How do you find the speed for a song, say,
Judas Priest - Locked In?
Quote by Daniel8488
Hey, i think ill join this;

Ill take black knight by deep purple

I would like to learn ..and justice for all, but that look's abit to long (for now)

Just wondering do i break up the song into intro, chorus etc and practice each section until i know all the riff's and then once i can play them slowly but solidly do i start to build up tempo?

Memorize it as best you can first, that way nothing gets inbetween you and practicing.

Memorizing doesn't seem like it's hard for me, but maybe it's just different for every person. If you have a hard time memorizing then yes, break it into parts.
Ze_Metal: Thank's, ill do that, ill break in into reasonable section's then i can practice those section's for say 20/ 30 minute's at a time and swap between them, then when i think i can remember each section ill write down a pattern of how it goes, i.e. intro x2, main riff x 3, solo.... etc then i can just quickly see what pattern come's next instead of going through all the tab's.

Well i mean that is the plan, i dont know what it will turn out like... but ill let's you all know!

Also i dont have a hard time memorizing, i just think breaking it into junk's will stop me from quitting since if i go through the whole thing bit by bit slowley ill just get fed and ill probably see no improvement as quickly as i would doing smaller sections, i think :\
Quote by Daniel8488
Ze_Metal: Thank's, ill do that, ill break in into reasonable section's then i can practice those section's for say 20/ 30 minute's at a time and swap between them, then when i think i can remember each section ill write down a pattern of how it goes, i.e. intro x2, main riff x 3, solo.... etc then i can just quickly see what pattern come's next instead of going through all the tab's.

Well i mean that is the plan, i dont know what it will turn out like... but ill let's you all know!

Also i dont have a hard time memorizing, i just think breaking it into junk's will stop me from quitting since if i go through the whole thing bit by bit slowley ill just get fed and ill probably see no improvement as quickly as i would doing smaller sections, i think :\

Yeah, breaking things down into parts makes it a lot easier. When I was learning piano I had a teacher and teachers always give you peices to play that are extremely hard at the time. But you need to break it down and realize that it's not hard if you know what you need to do and what you're aiming for. Same thing applies for guitar. If you're learning a hard song, don't just give up just break it up into section and get that part down perfect. Then go onto another and another until you put them all together. Also, don't be afraid to skip parts, like start at the intro and then maybe go to the outro. There is no doubt that you'll get better if you nail a hard out and intro perfectly which makes the rest of the song less daunting.
I'll participate. The song I'll be doing will be Symbolic by Death including the solo with included string skipping, one thing I never practice.
im in put me down for canon rock
Quote by Cockpuncher 2.0
Congradulations, you are a genious even if you are intoxicated.

Quote by Godsmack_IV
lucky bastard and your knowlegde of chemical engineering...

Quote by FortuneFaded
you guys are geniuses.

Quote by tonedeafidiot
^That is genius!

:stickpoke why dose yellow hate blue? WHY!
I'll do it. Sounds like fun. Since I'm a noob, I'll do

Can't Stop - RHCP

I'll record it and give you guys the results afterwords. Does anyone know where I could maybe get a backing track of drums and bass or somthing without guitar of this or other songs? I'm not really sure where to DL those.
Quote by DownInAHole.
I stuck my dick in a cactus. True story.

so what is the best method to increase speed from what he had mentioned?

playing the lick /riff/ something at the same speed until it becomes a habit or gradually increasing speed?
Quote by doodledood
so what is the best method to increase speed from what he had mentioned?

playing the lick /riff/ something at the same speed until it becomes a habit or gradually increasing speed?

There is a quote on the first page of a guy who did it, and a youtube link for results.