Page 5 of 27
Im in,put me down for Matt Heafys' 2nd solo in Triviums Detonation!
I have already been practicing it for 3 days and I can now do finger rolls so I cant wait to see how it sounds in 21 days
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
i finished some days ago. Still, I'm not surprised. I am able to play F.C.P.R.M.I.X. but not perfectly and solo is totally impossible. I may have played the song too little every day. So now i want to learn a new song. And put some more effort in it because i like it better. Gonna try canon rock :O starting now!
I think a lot of people are picking songs/solos that are too easy to waste 21 days of hour a day practice.

The sweet child of mine solo will take you like 3 days of practicing 15 minutes.

And whoever said comfortably numb....

I'm gonna do the Lucretia (megadeth-RustIP) solo, which even though it isn't THAT fast, is still pretty damn hard to play.
Last edited by zaqwsx170 at Jul 15, 2008,
Quote by zaqwsx170
I think a lot of people are picking songs/solos that are too easy to waste 21 days of hour a day practice.

The sweet child of mine solo will take you like 3 days of practicing 15 minutes.

And whoever said comfortably numb....

I'm gonna do the Lucretia (megadeth-RustIP) solo, which even though it isn't THAT fast, is still pretty damn hard to play.

Yeah thats why a lot of people aren't doing the full 21 days.
Ok, because of the incredible amount of positive reactions I will be participating.

I will play the intro/verse riff to Red Hot Chili Pepper's Snow (Hey Oh) for 21 days, starting today.
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
I'll do it. I'll try the Bohemian Rhapsody solo by Queen and the Since I've Been Loving You solo by Led Zeppelin.
Last edited by Andrusho at Jul 17, 2008,
I'm in!! This sounds great. This is what I usually do, but not as technically or scientifically. What I normally do is slow down a song on a computer program and learn it at that speed then gradually increase. But I don't have a set amount of time, like this challenge does.

Count me in for "Always With Me, Always With You" by Joe Satriani.

Hell, I'll also do "Over the Hills and Far Away", by Led Zeppelin.
Do NOT look behind you.
Last edited by c_man471 at Jul 21, 2008,
I just use guitar pro and turn the tempo way down. It works great for learning difficult songs.
Quote by Ze_Metal
Yeah thats why a lot of people aren't doing the full 21 days.

Yes, I'm well into the "Alive" solo, my first solo, and I've got the first bar down in a half hour of practice. Of course, it's the second one that's the hardest one of the solo.
I get very tense around apples...Well, I get very tense generally. I think I've fallen into the trap of blaming fruit.

Jeff

Peavey Studio Pro 112 for sale. Anyone want it?
Count me in on this. Due to my distinct lack of skill (read: noobishness) I'll be doing the intro to Thunderstruck by AC/DC. I've heard that's fairly simple.
I'm a... midnight... fist fight.
Cool Idea on the 21 day practice method. I know that it takes approximately a human 21 times of doing something for it to develop into a habit, so would you get the same effect if you just played the same riff, lick, or what ever 21 times in 1 day? I'm going to try this experiment with the sweet child o' mine solo. Add me to the list!
Quote by Fender_Fever
Cool Idea on the 21 day practice method. I know that it takes approximately a human 21 times of doing something for it to develop into a habit, so would you get the same effect if you just played the same riff, lick, or what ever 21 times in 1 day? I'm going to try this experiment with the sweet child o' mine solo. Add me to the list!

I'm pretty sure that won't work, because if I practice a lick I play it a lot more than 21 times, but it doesn't instantly become a habit.
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
Quote by Fender_Fever

You wont get the wah solo after 21 times.

It's also 21 days, not 21 times.
i'm doing this for the solo in Aeroplane - RHCP... its only been like 3 days but i've been seeing big improvements. i've been pushing my bpm limit while practicing at very low bpm... i would say so far the 21 day challenge is a success....
(3/21) a seventh of the way there!
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
I'm going to do it with Cream's White Room.
Quote by handbanana78

^First time I've ever made a funny

Quote by deathcore101

okay Mike my advice for you is, don't sleep with your sister
I'll do "spin" by taking back sunday "HTML roolz d00d" by tdwp AND "the weak willed" by atr...
Saw this thread and was like goddamn, this is a good time to register as a user and will see if I can improve my playing or getting some inspiration from here

This looks like a good way to achive something

I'll start by playing few tunes from Lamb of God with bass.

Lamb of God - Laid to Rest
Lamb of God - Hourglass

I try to set up some blog or journal so I can show you my progress... and by any means, I am not good at playing bass... you will probably see that when I upload my records later this evening ^^

so 21st day from now should be 15th of August.. hopefully I will be able to learn something ^^
I'm going to try to do Universal mind by Liquid Tension Experiment because if I want to burn 21 days, it better be a very hard song that I love and respect.

How about practicing multiple songs during 21 days, would that work, and how long exactly do we have to practice the song per day...like one hour or maybe five?
Alright I'm gonna get in on this. I just started playing a little bit ago so I'm going to try for Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana. I can kinda play it right now but I would like to be much better at it. Also how hard is the song supposed to be compared to how good you are? Should it be fairly easy or medium, or difficult for you or extremely beyond your capabilities?
Updated list... long time no see, kind of forgot about this thread after I removed it from my sig. It's pretty awesome to see how much this thread has grown since I first started it, not knowing what I was getting into ... And answering some questions: Your song should be at your level, or a bit above your level. If you want to challenge yourself and go extreme on yourself, be my guest. And Tobbo: Welcome to UG
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by Core Implosion
Alright I'm gonna get in on this. I just started playing a little bit ago so I'm going to try for Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana. I can kinda play it right now but I would like to be much better at it. Also how hard is the song supposed to be compared to how good you are? Should it be fairly easy or medium, or difficult for you or extremely beyond your capabilities?

Difficulty doesn't matter. As long as you can play what you want to improve on correctly and very accurately at any speed, no matter how slow, you will be able to play it very well at much higher speeds than you practised at for the 21 days.

Also, if you have enough time to, I would recommend that you try practising more than one song if you are going to do some simple and repetitive like SLTS.

To the person who said that theres no point practising chromatics in this excercise, you are wrong. A common exercise like the one with 1234 4321 fingering, especially if used in combination with the spider method (while going down the strings [1234], don't lift any fingers from the frets they've been used on until they need be used again), will greatly increase dexterity. Though, yes you wouldn't know any more music.

This method is also the best way to learn tapping and sweep arpeggios up to ludicrous speeds like the pros. Good luck and stay shredding everyone.
Last edited by .esp.rock. at Jul 28, 2008,
So far, this is working pretty well with the Symphony of Destruction solo.

I think an hour is a bit too much, what I did is I just highlighted the hard part (the part with the quick position shifts) in Guitar Pro, and just played those 2 measures over and over for 10 minutes.

If I did an hour per day I'd probably have it mastered by like tomorrow, but that's boring.
sounds like a good idea. ill try it with the solo for iron man since im trying to learn it anyway.
I guess I'm in,
Mark me down for Everything Evil
I was going to go for Sequoia Throne, but after seeing the Guitar Pro tab for that I nearly sh*t my pants
Quote by asfastasdark
If you want to challenge yourself and go extreme on yourself, be my guest.

Yeah I realized that I may have been too ambitious trying to learn Scarified and Altitudes...

....so I added a third song: Paul Gilbert's Echo Song. I figure that I can at least finish this one within a few months. I think I can finish Scarified by the end of my third year playing guitar. Altitudes may take longer or may not, depending on whether I get my bends and vibrato in shape.

For me at least, I think that the 21 day method with bursts - once or twice a day - works best. You get the focus and accuracy from practicing 99% of the time slow...but you don't lose the feel of playing it fast so it isn't a complete suprise when you try to bring something up to tempo. I also think that the 21 day method is most effective when you are playing something that is either right at your level or more challenging. I used it to learn Romanza in one sitting - it needs a bit of cleaning up and reinforcement since it happened pretty quickly, but the basic idea is already there.
Welcome to BUCKETHEADLAND

Last edited by Colonel Sanders : Yesterday at 10:54 PM.
I'm going with:

Cynic - Veil of Maya

Without the solo though. I've been playing for one and a half year and I can't even look at most solos. I fail.
I'll take a stab at Metallica's Fade to Black. Wish me well

EDIT: Seemingly lame but legit excuse; need to wait until I get new strings .
EDIT 2: Got new strings . Starting today, August 1st.
Last edited by Kenny77 at Aug 1, 2008,
Well I conquered Everything Evil =D
Thanks for posting this method, it really helped me nail down the complex riff that goes on for half the song.
OK, due to the huge list here, I came to the realization that it was too big ( > 10000 characters). I had to delete everyone who didn't put a song up off the list... Sorry...
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
You can add me. I'm playing Paul Gilbert - Technical Difficulties until the solo.
I can play the intro at full speed (120 BPM I think), but it sounds ugly as hell so I'm starting at 50 BPM.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

OK - I'm going to do Surfing With The Alien (Joe Satriani)

I'm pretty sure I can do most of it close to full, but some of the legato and tapping stuff screws me up. So I'm starting August 12 on Surfing With The Alien.
I'm looking for a tab of The Marshall Plan, by Blue Oyster Cult, and of Mario Minor, by Powerglove. If you have one please PM me.
i'll try embody the invisible by in flames
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C