Hi, I was looking over how to form chords from major scales but ran into something i find confusing so maybe one of the theory buffs can help me. So i know you just use a 1,3,5 format after making your scale. so in C it would be
CDEFGAB
So
CEG=C
DFA=Dm
EGB=Em
FAD=F
GBD=G
ACE=Am
but this is where the problem comes in. The next thing I would do is BDF=B something but neither the Major nor minor can be made without F# when i checked online is said B Diminished but i dont understand why this is or why and how the formula changes. Could someone explain pleeease?
It's because of the intervals between the first and fifth degrees.

B to F# has the same amount of half steps in that interval as A to E, and all the others. Since you can't have a sharp in the key of C major, and the fifth has to be an F note, it would be an F natural. A perfect interval lowered one half step becomes a diminished interval (just like it would become augmented if raised the same amount).

Major and minor refer to the interval between the root and third degree (in terms of a chord), and the fifth is implied to be perfect because there is nothing saying otherwise, so there is no reason to say Cmaj5, or something like that--in this case.

Does that help, or should I go into more detail? (I'm about to head out for a family member's birthday, so it'll be a bit)
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Oh sorry, but that link might help ya.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
its all about intervals. The reason B doesnt have major or minor in the C major scale is because from B to F, there is only 6 halfsteps, as opposed to the 7 halfsteps for a Perfect fifth. Any PERFECT interval lowered a halfstep is known as a diminished. The Diminished Chord formula is 1 b3 b5, as opposed to minor being 1 b3 5.
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic