I am wanting to put locking tuners on my Stratocaster. Is there anything I need to do to it to get the most out of doing this like getting a different bridge, etc? I'm trying to cost-effectively make it as close to a deluxe version as I can - this is one of the few things I found to do. Also, I found them on eBay for like $60 - is there a cheaper place to get them?

Thanks.
Earth without ART, is just Eh...
Last edited by metalzeppelin at Mar 19, 2011,
The bridge is fine. If you get the Sperzels you will need a drill. I use the Sperzel/Fender licensed ones, and they work fantastically.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Just swapped in the Fender locking tuners on my strat and love them. Straight swap, just need a little wrench to tighten them. $60 sounds like a good price, I paid retail for mine as the supply here was limited and I wanted them that weekend.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310304005575&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2118wt_905

I was going to get these. Why the drill? One thing I'm not going to do is start drilling on my guitar. I also just read something about a locking nut - what are the pros and cons of a locking nut vs locking tuners?
Last edited by metalzeppelin at Mar 19, 2011,
Quote by metalzeppelin
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310304005575&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2118wt_905

I was going to get these. Why the drill? One thing I'm not going to do is start drilling on my guitar. I also just read something about a locking nut - what are the pros and cons of a locking nut vs locking tuners?

Tuning problems start when the string moves through the nut, which locking nuts seek to combat.

I'd go for a graphite nut and locking tuner setup.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
in case you don't know locking tuners don't perform a similar function to a locking nut. locking tuners eliminate the need to wrap the strings around the tuning posts so there is no slippage. since there is almost no slack the strings don't bind at the nut (well there is still a small chance this can happen.) with a locking nut the strings are locked at the nut so there can't be any binding. although you don't technically need a new bridge with a locking nut you'd hate yourself real fast if you didn't. no new bridge needed with locking tuners.
It seems like they do the exact same thing, just at different points on the guitar. It also seems as likely for a string to slip through the locked nut as it would through a locked tuning peg.

Anyways, what are some recommendations as far as a graphite nut because I've had to use pencil led in the past and this would eliminate that need. Also, how do you get the original one out and put the new one in?
if you are trying to 'upgrade' your strat to deluxe standard, you may want to think about replacing the standard nut with a wilkinson roller nut (as well as putting locking tuners on).

all makes for much better tuning stablilty.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
No need for a roller nut. The Wilkinson roller nuts aren't too good, hence why Fender replaced them with the LSR roller nut. The LSR requires permanent modification to the neck though. Both require drilling too. Any American Fender should have a properly cut nut anyway so it shouldn't matter. If you really want to make sure you have the smoothest action then get a TUSQ XL nut fitted, it won't require any drilling or anything and is as smooth as a regular nut can get. It will need altering to get the best action though which will be another expense. Unless your current nut is clearly poorly cut, I'd leave it as it is. Locking tuners should fix any real stability issues you have since the American bridge is good enough. Changing the bridge saddles to Graph Tech String Savers might be a good idea but the improvement will be minimal. No Strat-style trem will ever give you full Floyd-style diving range and stability so I don't see much point in revamping every little thing. Go with the tuners for now, see how it works out.
Quote by metalzeppelin
It seems like they do the exact same thing, just at different points on the guitar. It also seems as likely for a string to slip through the locked nut as it would through a locked tuning peg.

They really don't
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by DamagingExcess
They really don't

OK, so for tuning purposes, are they pretty much as effective? I'm not looking to do crazy dive bombing and whammy bar stuff. I had an RG550 and sold it because I don't really need that.
Quote by metalzeppelin
OK, so for tuning purposes, are they pretty much as effective? I'm not looking to do crazy dive bombing and whammy bar stuff. I had an RG550 and sold it because I don't really need that.

Yeah they will be fine for that stuff.
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)