so, i'd like to start recording my guitars. i've already got pro tools on my computer from when my mate used an mbox on it so thats covered. I've also got a small behringer mixer we were using for the record player, but it's designed for recording.

what i need is a way to connect the mixer to my computer. i've got an xfi titanium soundcard that has a line in/mic in thats the same size as headphone/speaker jacks. do i just need a reducer from 1/4inch?

thanks
Quote by wryan89
so, i'd like to start recording my guitars. i've already got pro tools on my computer from when my mate used an mbox on it so thats covered. I've also got a small behringer mixer we were using for the record player, but it's designed for recording.

what i need is a way to connect the mixer to my computer. i've got an xfi titanium soundcard that has a line in/mic in thats the same size as headphone/speaker jacks. do i just need a reducer from 1/4inch?

thanks

That'll work, quality won't be too great though. Tends to get fuzzy.
firewire or USB would be best...if the mbox supports them.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
i don't have the mbox anymore it was my friends.
what do i need to get? can you give me some recomendations?
i don't have a huge budget and i'm in australia, maybe $500 at the most
Last edited by wryan89 at Mar 19, 2011,
Are you just recording guitar? Are you using condensor mics? If the answers are yes, and no, then you can probably get away with practically any cheap recording interface. If you want to get into recording multiple simultaneous channels, or using a condensor at some point, you'll need something a bit bigger (more inputs) and phantom power.

I can't really give you any suggestions on specific models, because I use an 8 track recorder as my interface, and have never used anything else. But I do know there are certain features you'll want in better models. I know AUS prices are kinda crazy on some gear, but I'm sure for $500 you can find something decent.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
i'm just recording guitar at the moment, maybe vocals later. i've got an HT5 which has line out on it.
i might try a reducer jack for a while and see how that goes while i save some coin.
thanks for your help