So, lately I've tried and failed several times to get a sound that is something like the guitar Trent Reznor has used on the last three Nine Inch Nails records (With Teeth, Year Zero, and the Slip). It's definitely a more synth-type sound, best for single-note type stuff. I know its a lot of distortion, leaning on the fuzz end of the spectrum, but I have no clue as to how he does it. Help anyone?
Those albums are all very different, sonically.

Are there any songs in particular that you're trying to nail? (Huge NIN fan here, hopefully I can help out).

And what gear are you using? Trent uses a Vetta II, I believe.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've got a couple of Ibanez RGs and a DigiTech GNX3000, so gear isn't too big of an issue. Specific songs? Probably "Survivalism", "Love is Not Enough", "The Hand That Feeds", "Capital G", "1,000,000", "Discipline". Mostly those single-note riffs that repeat, and repeat...and repeat
Are you using Fuzz? That's always the first place to start with NIN

1,000,000 is definitely fuzz.
Love Is Not Enough sounds like it might be an octaver in the intro... The main guitar parts you can hear is definitely fuzz though.
The Hand That Feeds is just light distortion/OD.
Discipline is definitely fuzz, again.

I can't stand Year Zero, so I didn't do those I hope I was a little helpful though.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've never liked Boss Fuzzes that I've heard. Maybe check out an Ibanez FZ7? I think that's an amazing pedal for how much it costs.

You may want to look into a higher end Fuzz modeler of some sort if you're serious about getting that tone though.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X