Ok so for those of you that saw my old thread, my 3120 broke down on me thursday. Anyway GC wrote me a check to cover the amp so now I need an amp. Things Im looking at right now are:

Rivera Knucklehead (old model) -700 at my GC
Peavey XXX- $450 I loved my 3120 when it worked so this looks great
Jet City 50 or whatever- $500 new with two channels, probably my least fav of these but still might do well.

Ok anyway I play stuff from STP, RHCP, alot of Tool, some heavier stuff like Lamb of God, some Black Crowes, and alot of classic rock and blues.

The 3120 covered all of this very well with the preamp tube change so Im leaning heavily for the XXX. BUT, the knucklehead I played there before I walked out made me think about checking some other stuff a bit. The knucklehead was very nice just not sure if its as versatile as the 3120 was. Any opinions on it? Anyway Ive got $700 for a head and can cover shipping or taxes so give me some opinions on these or anything else you can think of.

Im also very interested in the new V3M and can afford it but I dunno if I wanna buy it with no experience or reviews on it really.

Used only if possible, more bang for the buck.
I live about 2 hrs. from Nashville and an hour from Knoxville, TN if you feel like looking through craigslist or whatever. Ill be looking tomorrow I just don't feel like it tonight.

/long wall of text
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
How on earth did you manage to break a Peavey?

I don't really have good advice... other than if you liked your amp that much, it would make sense to get it again.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
They offered but they said it would be another clearance one from another store and everything so I thought "take the money and buy a XXX" then Ill have enough money left over to order the KT77s I was wanting. I just didn't want to possibly get sent another floor model when I could save some money and finish getting the stuff I wanted and have the same amp. Also, thanks again for all of your help. I only had $400 into the amp so having a $710 check right now is a pretty good return on a busted amp.

^I don't believe I was the one who broke it.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I thought so. They didn't carry them there so they would have had to find one in another store to ship to me anyway.

Also to offworld: I am wanting to just replace it but I wanna double check my options.

Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
my vote goes the to the Jet City JCA50, you wont be disappointed
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by jimihendrix6699
my vote goes the to the Jet City JCA50, you wont be disappointed

My concerns about it though are how well would it do tool and Ive heard their clean channels don't have the greatest headroom. I really won't to try one though to see. I know it would do most of my stuff nicely but the heavier and cleanest stuff (which isn't played as much as I tend to use gritty to moderate overdrive mostly) would suffer. I could always grab a boost though but if the cleans aren't there then that would suck. I pretty much threw it on the list cause Im interested but I doubt it would suit all my needs. I really need to try one.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
My concerns about it though are how well would it do tool and Ive heard their clean channels don't have the greatest headroom. I really won't to try one though to see. I know it would do most of my stuff nicely but the heavier and cleanest stuff (which isn't played as much as I tend to use gritty to moderate overdrive mostly) would suffer. I could always grab a boost though but if the cleans aren't there then that would suck. I pretty much threw it on the list cause Im interested but I doubt it would suit all my needs. I really need to try one.

it can do the heavier stuff pretty well. to my understanding its basically the JCA100 but 50 watts. and i'm confident it could pull off Tool. I was going to get it and Tool is my number one band to cover other than Mastodon. a boost would be good. but it has plenty of gain to start off with.

the only reason i didn't get it is because i don't have a cab and when i was in the market for a new amp, it would have eaten all my money up basically.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
The one I bought was labeled as used even though it was a "new" floor model so they said they would replace it with the same. I figured if Im getting a used amp anyway then I might as well save some money so I can get the KT77s plus the XXX has reverb and the 3120 does not so thats a bit of a plus if its any good. I mean, I kinda wanted to do that but I had a hard time going that route after what happened to the other one I got.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer

clean channel headroom is dependent on volume. 50watts should be enough.

however, if you are looking for good cleans and reverb and all that the jet city 50 watt combo is based on the lucky 13 and it's really good.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I would go for Rivera - they are one of the most awesome heads out there!
I love the Rivera KR7 MT
But from what I've heard for the top Rivera sound you have to pick speakers in cabs very carefully.
"Rise and rise again until lambs become lions!"
Quote by Kalo Hanaka
No, you shouldn't pour beer on your guitar.
Last edited by msoban at Mar 20, 2011,
Whats the difference between the Peavey ultra and the XXX/3120? One just popped up locally for $175
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
The ultras are meant to have less gain/clearer sound apparently. Not played the 3120/xxx yet though but my UP does have a shit tonne of gain anyway.

Also shared eq for channel 2/3 as opposed to seperate eqs on the 3120 etc

they are awesome amps though
Quote by bluestratplayer

Cleans

Metal

More Metal

Granted, I'm using the 100 watt version, but they both are practically the same circuit so you should be able to get those same tones out of the 50 watt (just at a much lower volume).
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Mar 20, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Not much difference at all and you should snag that up before I slap you

I kinda figured I needed to. Ill give him a call tomorrow. I did notice a Carvin V3 close by priced at $550. Ive lusted over that amp off and on for like three damn years and have never pulled the trigger. If it wasn't for that reeeeaaaaallllly cheap Ultra, I would be all over it. That sucks about the shared EQ though. That could be a dealbreaker cause I had those channels set up entirely different on my 3120.

So Im torn between a Ultra that I would be moderately please with for dirt cheap or a XXX for $450 or a V3 for $550. Plus the new V3m is staring me in the face. Its like, my amp break and I can cash the check on the same day they are being released. Almost fate? Probably just my gas talking though. I really want that V3 though if he still has it tomorrow.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Little update and Ill let this thread slip into oblivion: I got the Carvin V3 for $500. Look for a NAD after I spend some time with it. Peace and thanks for any and all help given in my threads.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Thank you kind sir. Im really looking forward to it. I got it from the Nashville GC and bought the year warrenty this time. Last time I got lucky something happened before the 30 days.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent