I've been playing guitar for a year and i'm currently in a band and our lead guitarist has been encouraging me to make my guitar playing more technical (I.e. Writing riffs that switch between strings,playing more in a scale and learning more chords,modes and keys) I know this is some thing I should be focusing on but for some reason when I think about making my guitar playing more technical I get a bit nervous and afraid can anyone figure this out?

Ps
I'm self taught however I have come a long way
And I mostly learn off of the internet
technical would be the wrong word I think. Technique is the way you play the guitar so if you play the guitar correctly, you would have good technique. if you play in a sloppy or bad way, you would have bad technique. (basic description).

sounds like he means, learn a bit more about music (music theory), and incorporate that into your playing.

it sounds to me like you are worried about becoming more mechanical in your playing and losing emotion... Think about it this way, learning more will give you a bigger arsenal to draw from when you are writing and playing music. you can learn a lot and play it your way.
---
Based on what you mentioned, your playing is simple right? I'll have you know that you will only get nervous playing something more technical because its merely something you're not used to. We tend to forget these as we advance in skill. Can you imagine when you were a beginner and wondered how anyone could play with those skills you most likely have now?

You want to familiarize with those advanced skills to the point were it takes you not much effort to perform. You won't get nervous playing power chords would you? No, because its something you've already mastered, now you have a new challenge to conquer.
Last edited by Kortez3000 at Mar 19, 2011,
Just do it. You're not competing with anyone, so don't worry about the time it takes.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Robfreitag

it sounds to me like you are worried about becoming more mechanical in your playing and losing emotion... Think about it this way, learning more will give you a bigger arsenal to draw from when you are writing and playing music. you can learn a lot and play it your way.

sounds to me more like he's discouraged because he doesnt think he can learn or he's not good enough

watch this if you ever feel discouraged

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atGBKuCJ-Jc

very inspirational
Last edited by rickyj at Mar 19, 2011,
Quote by junk yard metal
I've been playing guitar for a year and i'm currently in a band and our lead guitarist has been encouraging me to make my guitar playing more technical (I.e. Writing riffs that switch between strings,playing more in a scale and learning more chords,modes and keys) I know this is some thing I should be focusing on but for some reason when I think about making my guitar playing more technical I get a bit nervous and afraid can anyone figure this out?

Ps
I'm self taught however I have come a long way
And I mostly learn off of the internet

None of these are actually things you should be worrying about, in fact they don't matter at all in themselves. The technical aspects of playing and the theory behind it all simply exist to describe the music you make. As you learn more songs and get better at the ones you already know you'll learn new techniques, learn more about the instrument and indeed more about music itself. As your knowledge and experience expands you'll naturally gravitate towards playing more complex music, but don't force matters...play the guitar the way YOU want to play it.

So don't worry about making things more "technical", just focus on increasing your knowledge and understanding of music, and keep practicing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
you should probably try to make your playing more complex before you worry that you can't do it. probably no one would have envisioned they would be where they are at anything in life when they first started it, be it in music, sports, etc. but somehow they got there.
Earth without ART, is just Eh...