So there is this problem I have with sweep picking, I've been practicing it quite a bit recently and have found playing to a metronome to be very beneficial and internalizing. Moreover, I have been recently been practing this 3 stringed sweep of four shapes from the Song Every Time I Die by Children of Bodom which seemes to be a straight forward sweep and stuff a beginner sweeper should learn first.

The problem lies in the difference between sweeping to a metronome and then trying to move it over to the backing track, as it sounds accurate and clear when on a metronome, as i have learned to sweep up before doing the pull of on the high string.

However the problem lies when i play the sweeping part on the backing track i feel really anticipating the sweep coming and when it comes i tend to screw up and totally miss some notes on it cause i'm really anxious and withdrawn to feel the motion of how it is to a metronome, i have practiced it for a week or so every day for around 10-15mins and have sweeped probably only four other sweeps over all in my guitar playing, which have not been as fast as this.

But i thought i knew this really well and it feels like its more of an mistake because of all the anticipating i have of fear of messing up on it.

So could anyone give me a properly link or something on how to practice with a metronome for sweeping? As well I just focus on hitting every note on the beat but when say playing 80BPM in triplets on the metronome it feels like the rhythm is hard to hear each note, Should i be trying to focus in on the one, two, three, four beat like in quarter notes but adding in the two other notes between each one when doing it in triplets?

Anyways thanks in advance for all the replies and help, and any other advice is much appreciated on this topic! Except your opinion on Children of Bodom, as most people on here that listen to Melodic Death metal, trash them just cause their recent albums have not been anything special and have really gone down hill.

"
Every band that is favored in the genre sells-out and commercializes... That's just the way it is :/"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
That wouldn't make a difference as I have the backing track on GP5 and you can hear every note clearly and also there is a metronome that is built in there, so that advice really would not better my sweeping.
"
Every band that is favored in the genre sells-out and commercializes... That's just the way it is :/"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
bumping for advice...
"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
Practice at a BPM faster than the backing track. Then when you come to play it your mind will relax and your body will follow.

Excess tension means some part of your technique needs help, in this case maybe your hands are perfect but your mind is a bit panicked.

Also dont be afraid to mess it up.

Like when you are carrying a plate of food or something up/down some stairs, if you focus on tripping over you probably will.

Just focus on a clean relaxed motion and work your way up to it. Most things will take time to get used to, be it left/right hand, or mentally.
Alright thanks a lot of the advice, gunna start my practice soon, so well see how much I have advanced in my sweep picking from yesterday lol. At least i got to rasie the BPM a little yesterday, and even if I don't get it today, I will continue to work towards accomplishing this goal, id rather be slow and accurate then fast and unaccurate. THanks all for the replys and for taking your time to helpout a fellow member!
"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321