First off, thanks for the service. I may not support the war, but you've got bigger balls than I ever will, and deserve my respect.

Right then, something I've always wondered when I see a soldier who appears to be living as a civilian at the moment who's wearing their uniform is a very simple "why?" I'm not against it or for it, I'm just confused by it - Is it a pride thing, or you required to wear your uniform for some reason?

I feel like it'd be the prior if it were one of the two, as the latter seems odd(Especially with how many WWII and Vietnam veterans there are wearing regular clothing), but I feel like you'd either be required to wear it instead of civilian clothes as a point of honour or something, required not to wear it as a civilian as a sign of respect, or it's a point of personal pride or something?

tl;dr, guys who wear this in civilian settings

Are they supposed to be wearing that as a point of honour or pride, are they not supposed to be wearing it for the same reason, are they wearing it out of personal pride, or just because it was the first clean thing they found?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Are they wearing those actual uniforms/the digital Battle Dress Uniforms? If so, they're most likely active duty or reserve, and they are required to wear those uniforms.

Each branch has a "uniform of the day" that must be worn. Sometimes we can wear civvies, but most of the time we wear "work" uniforms (pictured) or collared uniforms.

If you see someone in regular camouflage (Vietnam-era BDUs) then they most likely are veterans or flea market patrons who wanted to wear it for whatever reason.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
From my understanding, they wear their uniforms when coming home from a base or something where they are required to wear it, and leave wearing it. Exception is the Marines. They're not allowed to wear cammies around civilians, as they think it looks sloppy or something. But they have other uniforms they wear under those circumstances.
i've also got a similar question. on some days, i've seen people walking around campus in those uniforms. are they required to wear it while they're on campus, or only on certain days, or what?
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Quote by carlos_almighty
i've also got a similar question. on some days, i've seen people walking around campus in those uniforms. are they required to wear it while they're on campus, or only on certain days, or what?

They're most likely in an ROTC program. ROTC allows people in college to get commissioned into the military as an officer upon graduation in return for the military paying for their tuition at the school. There are several types of ROTC scholarships. Most pay full tuition and book fees.

They wear the uniforms once a week to leadership lab classes and around campus.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
most people wear the ACU's because they are doing something army related, its not for sh*ts and giggles(unless they just want to show off). the marines are not allowed to wear their MARPAT cammies off base cause its thought of as funny looking to wear camo in situations not relating to military duties. now with veterans, they've earned the right to do whatever they want with their old uniforms, but i've just mostly seen them wearing ballcaps or tshirts that show what they did, and in dress situations they just wear a suit with mini metals or clasps. theres such an influx of mililtary uniforms/equipment(especally veitnam era)that most of the time you'll find random people who didn't serve wearing stuff military related.
When I was in it was forbidden to wear BDUs off post. Only to drive from home to work.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by bloodtrocuted93
From my understanding, they wear their uniforms when coming home from a base or something where they are required to wear it, and leave wearing it. Exception is the Marines. They're not allowed to wear cammies around civilians, as they think it looks sloppy or something. But they have other uniforms they wear under those circumstances.

It's the same thing with the Navy. You can't wear the working uniform or coveralls off base unless you're going directly home. You can the service or dress uniforms, but most people just wear civies once they get liberty to. The only guys I ever see walking around off base in working/combat uniforms are army and airforce.

Oh, and coast guard. **** those guys...
Under the spreading chestnut tree
I sold you and you sold me-
By regulation you are not supposed to be running around town in uniform when off duty.

However married soldiers frequently live off post with their families and most bases have an exception to policy where soldiers can make simple errand stops. IE grab a loaf of bread on the way home type thing. At least that's how it was when I was stationed at fort bliss.

Alot of times you will be on duty for extended periods of time 24 hours or more and you will have breaks alot of soldiers will take that time to go out to eat or whatever. This is also permitted so long as you are not drinking in uniform or otherwise doing something to discredit the service (so don't get that free lunch special at the titty bar).

Also recruiters will often be out in town in uniform since they often visit schools malls and other crowded places. Their places of duty are also usually closely knit with the civilian population. Hope this helps.