To start off, I have a bugera 6260 combo and have had this amp for about a year and a half. It sounds pretty nice at low volumes, but since I have never been able to turn it up past 1 on the lead channel because it's simply too loud, i recently got a hot plate for it(and yes, the impedance matches) so i could turn it up and finally get that warm, fat, crunchy saturated tube tone. Well....to my surprise it sounds horrible. It sounds really, really harsh/scratchy and thin...imagine pantera scooped sounds eventhough my eq is set to 5 bass 7 mids 6 treble...no matter how adjust the eq it just sounds terrible.....I am at a loss for why it is like this? Could it be the power tubes? Or what do you think? My power tubes are orange and whenever i hit a note they glow blue if that helps at all........Please help!!!!
those amps have had a history of crappily matched tubes out of the factory and an attenuator is probably really putting a lot of extra stress on the tubes. If you play metal you don't need an attenuator. Tubes should be orange at idle as well. some blue is fine.

a good set of matched power tubes and a decent bias should fix you up....as well a some better preamp tubes maybe
Yeah, at idle they are orange and as soon as i hit a note they light up blue...it's the weirdest thing, which is why i had suspected the power tubes especially since i dont get that warm saturated sound that everyone talks about when you crank a tube amp. Also i just noticed there's brown gunky stuff inside the bottom of the tubes and partially on the outside of one....would this affect anything?
your tubes light up fine - I don't think there is anything wrong there.

i can bet you the amp bias is all fuked up tho.

not sure what the brown gunky stuff is

that does not sound right - can you take a good picture of it?
Part of it may be that your trying to get power tube distortion from an amp specifically designed to have very little power tube distortion. the reason they make them 120w isn't so you can blow your neighbors house down. It's so you have gobs of headroom (no power section distortion).
As mentioned, a Sonic Maximizer may help, but if you can't turn it above 1.....your trying to ice skate uphill.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
How much attentaution are you using? If your setting that hotplate to max and then turning your volume on the amp to 10, it'll prolly sound pretty bad.

Also, what are your settings? ESP presence and gain.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Last edited by Gundamnitpete at Mar 20, 2011,
Quote by Ultima117
To start off, I have a bugera 6260 combo and have had this amp for about a year and a half. It sounds pretty nice at low volumes, but since I have never been able to turn it up past 1 on the lead channel because it's simply too loud, i recently got a hot plate for it(and yes, the impedance matches) so i could turn it up and finally get that warm, fat, crunchy saturated tube tone. Well....to my surprise it sounds horrible. It sounds really, really harsh/scratchy and thin...imagine pantera scooped sounds eventhough my eq is set to 5 bass 7 mids 6 treble...no matter how adjust the eq it just sounds terrible.....I am at a loss for why it is like this? Could it be the power tubes? Or what do you think? My power tubes are orange and whenever i hit a note they glow blue if that helps at all........Please help!!!!

Swap the tubes, make sure they're matched and biased properly. Also, use the attenuator to only attenuate a little, its not a miracle cure.
WTLTL 2011
I tried to upload pictures, but it said the file size was too big....But my tubes are that color blue in the picture, but all over....idk...i guess it could be normal too....And with that brown stuff inside, some forums said its what happens if your tubes are really used and partially on the outiside could be rust......?... If it helps too, i play on a mike mushok prs baritone tuned to drop b and an alexi 600 tuned to drop c...my gain is set to 7 on the low gain channel, 5 bass 7 mids 6 treble, presence 4 I have my attenuator on 8-12 db reduction and play on 1-2 for volume, and its still freaking loud. Hey Pete, i noticed you have an alexi 600 and basically this amp. Whenever i play my alexi through it at these settings, i get a high pitched scream through my amp, could that be my amp as well or maybe the stock pickup??? Everyone says these guitars are amazing, but again, it just sounds plain bad on the distortion channel, but cleans sound nice... Also could a cab give me more mids/crunch/saturation/etc???...and thanks for all the suggestions so far guys
My alexi gives menalot of feedback aswell, I think it's the specific model of HZ they used In these year models ( mine is one of the earlier versions, with the smaller cutaway). I'm got another guitar with a couple HZ's and they don't feedback nearly as bad.

I'm just gonna drop a blackout in it and be done with it, should quiet everything up.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Also, use the lead channel. I run my gain at 5 on the lead, I use a ts808 as a boost, volume is almost always >1. bass around 6, Mids around 6-7, highs around 5. The lead channel will prolly give you a tighter bottom end.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
For starters, your tubes probably aren't biased correctly, because the children making Bugera amps don't know how to use a bias probe.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
For starters, your tubes probably aren't biased correctly, because the children making Bugera amps don't know how to use a bias probe.

Ohhh come one they are'nt children(pretty sure they are still making shoes)....BUT!!!!

i did see a video of Bugera Amp electronics being worked on and it was rather scary!

they stick their hands in their for no more than a few seconds then the amp goes onto the next guy who does whatever he needs to do as fast as possible...

Basically tossing them out as fast as they can, but they will tell ya they care about QC!

I've used a Hotplate with a 6262 once and wow!!! i didnt really push it, but those Tubes Redplated faster than someone running away from the Boarder Patrol!
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
Ohhh come one they are'nt children(pretty sure they are still making shoes)....BUT!!!!

i did see a video of Bugera Amp electronics being worked on and it was rather scary!

they stick their hands in their for no more than a few seconds then the amp goes onto the next guy who does whatever he needs to do as fast as possible...

Basically tossing them out as fast as they can, but they will tell ya they care about QC!

I've used a Hotplate with a 6262 once and wow!!! i didnt really push it, but those Tubes Redplated faster than someone running away from the Boarder Patrol!

No you didn't.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete
No you didn't.

no i didnt what...the video?

If so, when Bugera first fired up their line, their website had a video of some workers showcasing how well the insides of the amps were put together, this was when they only had i think 2 models the 333 and the 333xl...maybe the 6260 i guess.

what i said about it was opinion, to me it looked way too sloppy!
Last edited by WaltTheWerewolf at Mar 20, 2011,
Quote by TheEmoStrangler
sonic maximizer

LMAO. 5 of them. Chained together.
Guitars:
Agile PS900 Blue Flame: SD Blackouts, TonePros TOM, Grover Locking Mini-Rotomatic Tuners.
Amps:
Peavey 5150 Head w/Bias Mod.
Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
Hotplate! Ya i got rid of mine...it always made my amps sound nasty!

thats funny. my hotplate on my 6262 has done wonders for my tone. dont expect it to work miracles but it does sound SO much better when using the hotplate on either -8 or -12 db.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Hey Madh4ttr, what volume on your amp do you play on and do you get a nice saturated tone? Cause basically i started this post cause everyone says how amazing tube amps sound when cranked up, so i got the hotplate to do so, but my amp only sounds good when its at like half of one with no hotplate, when i use the hotplate and turn it to 2 for volume at 8-12db...it just sounds really, really bad and not anything at all like other bugera videos ive seen online, granted mines a combo and most i see are the head w/cab...its scratchy, not warm or thick at all So i had asked if it could possiblly be the power tubes....
scratchiness can sometimes be indicative of a bad preamp tube. Get a few new ones and rotate them through while keeping track of which is which. Hell, you can swap around the ones you have now and see if there is a difference. That is what I would do. I have a short vid on how to do that if you want to see it.

Also, as far as the pic - you can try to resize it with MS Paint or something OR upload your pics to photobucket or image shack and post IMG links here.
Quote by Ultima117
Hey Madh4ttr, what volume on your amp do you play on and do you get a nice saturated tone? Cause basically i started this post cause everyone says how amazing tube amps sound when cranked up, so i got the hotplate to do so, but my amp only sounds good when its at like half of one with no hotplate, when i use the hotplate and turn it to 2 for volume at 8-12db...it just sounds really, really bad and not anything at all like other bugera videos ive seen online, granted mines a combo and most i see are the head w/cab...its scratchy, not warm or thick at all So i had asked if it could possiblly be the power tubes....

well, on the clean channel, usually only have it around 3 or so and about the same for the lead. have occasionally played louder but even with an attenuator, its still loud as hell. Now I dont really start getting saturation until the volume is up to around 5 or so but I LOVE the attenuator. I use an analogman dod 250 pedal with it and an eq pedal. Even though -16db REALLY colors your tone, I still use it sometimes because I still can use that tone depending on what Im after. My guess is if the attenuator isnt helping, your tubes must have some issues.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads