So I've decided to try my hand at a build. Just a kit build for the first attempt. I'm looking at the LP kits from Saga and Bulldog. Haven't chosen one yet, but I have time because my bigger dilemma is which pickups to go with. Currently I own an Epi LP and an Ibanez RG. What I'm going for in this project is sort of a combo of the two. I absolutely love the LP's tone and "clarity", but I like the RG's "aggressiveness" and "chug".

My playing consists of punk rock and classic rock, and 80s rock like Motley Crue and GnR and such (not Metallica and Megadeath and them, that was never really my style), and I like to mess around in bluesy/rocky improv stuff like SRV or even Clapton-type "jams". I'm going for a build that lets me play stuff like Green Day (before they started wearing makeup and skinny clothes), Ramones, Pennywise, Bad Religion, NoFx, Rise Against, etc as well as stuff like Motley Crue, GnR, Judas Priest, and the classics like the Stones and Led Zeppelin and Lynyrd Skynyrd, Hendrix, Clapton, etc.

I Know that is a lot, and I know probably won't find PuPs that will sound exactly like all those styles, but I'm looking for something close enough to sound good enough in all of them. I REALLY love Green Day's guitar tone. Its such a "clean" distortion, and that's what I'm looking for. My current LP can sound close, but it's missing the "chug" and "power" from palm mutes that the RG has.

The guy in Guitar Center today suggested a Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan JB in the neck to give me my punk rock sound but still have a good solo tone too. However I searched the Invader on YouTube and it seems TOO much for what I want. Unless all the people where playing through insane distortion pedals, but to me it sounded way more "metal" than punk/rock. I also watched Demos on the Burstbuckers by Gibson, and seemed to like them more than the Invader, but so far I really think I'm leaning towards Slash's signature SDs. I've watched a bunch of demos and reviews on them and they sound excellent. The tone I really want is like combining the aggressive and chugging punk sound of earlier green day with Slash's recorded tone, just a really clean distortion with great tone and clarity.

TL;DR
What pickups do you suggest for both punk rock and classic rock tones, like a Green Day meets GnR Appetite for Destruction tone?
Invader and JB are way too hot for what your looking for. Sounds like you need something slightly hotter than a PAF.

adding: Slash's signature SD's would definitely qualify as a slightly hotter PAF style.
Last edited by FlyingVExplorer at Mar 19, 2011,
Quote by FlyingVExplorer
You should actually repost your question here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1282071

It's a running thread for asking which pickups to choose from.

by the way those nailbombs have a DC resistance of over 15k which pretty ****in hot still.

Should I copy/paste my question there? I know sometimes boards fron on that, I don't want to anger anyone lol.

And thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm gonna try and find sound demos of them all to check them out.

And yeah, the Invader and JB sounded way to "metally" for my liking, which was dissappointing because I described exactly what I wanted to achieve and he was very quick to say those and seemed so sure it was "exactly" what I was looking for. I felt so let down when I checked out demos of them lol. Not saying they're bad, if I were a metal/hardcore player they'd be killer.

Like I said I'm REALLY leaning towards the Slash Signatures, but I'm wondering two things with those.

1 - do they produce a good "chugging" low end for good palm mutes? I haven't seen any demos with palm mute examples, and I use a LOT of palm muting. My band is like a classic rock influenced punk band if that makes sense. Our original material is like punk rock (power chord heaven haha) mixed with rock n roll (we have solos and riffs and such in our songs, not just straight power chord progressions). And we do a lot of covers of classic/80s rock and do them "punk style" where we may speed them up or change them over to power chords and a more aggressive drum beat, but we still keep the famous solos and stuff. I know that was a big descriptions but I'm trying to be as specific as possible to help with suggestions. So that is why I need the good, deep palm muted power chord tone. The ones on my LP now have a great TONE when palm muted, but lack the "punch" I need from the low end. Has anyone played the Slash SDs, does it have a punchy low end?

2 - Would I be better off getting a set of the Slash SDs, or mixing and using a Slash one and another? I'm thinking if the Slashes lack the "chug" I need from the low end then maybe I can stick one in the neck position and something else in the bridge?
Quote by FlyingVExplorer
You should actually repost your question here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1282071

It's a running thread for asking which pickups to choose from.

by the way those nailbombs have a DC resistance of over 15k which pretty ****in hot still.

So, back off the volume pot and they clean up wonderfully, and start to sound very vintagy.