Just wanted to see if you guys have any good suggestions for building up your picking technique to play complicated rhythms/gallops in the style of Meshuggah.

Through out my years of guitar playing, I've always seemed to focus on melodies, but now I'm really feeling the rhythms in a lot of these Meshuggah songs. Would love to build up my right hand to be able to play like that...although I know it wont be for a very long time. But we gotta start somewhere.

Anyone have good exercises to start this kind of training?
Meshuggah isn't really that complicated for your right hand, only a few songs would really need practice I think. All the picking hand technique you'd need would come from practicing to a metronome to build your speed and stamina up.

If you mean actually playing along with the different rhythms and trying to groove with it? If you're looking to play their songs, you'll need to listen to it and internalise it, get to know the rhythm and learn how they repeat. For making your own stuff? I think it's mainly about not feeling constricted by any time signature and just making it flow. The best thing you could do is study their songs to see how the riffs work and flow.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
well, let's just put it this way...I want to train my right hand to be able to play complicated rhythms like that sometime in the near future.

so would you suggest I simply start practicing one of their riffs to a metronome? starting out super slow obviously...
and just as a side note, my left hand is way more advanced than my right hand right now. I've been having a lot issues getting back my picking ability. It's like I gotta start all over again for my right hand.
Learning to play those complicated rhythms would be an exercise for your brain moreso than your hand. The way I did it was to simply play their songs properly and get into the groove, and study what's going on.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Dayn
Learning to play those complicated rhythms would be an exercise for your brain moreso than your hand. The way I did it was to simply play their songs properly and get into the groove, and study what's going on.

Pretty much this.

With the exception of Bleed and Thordendal's solos Meshuggah is physically pretty damn simple, you just need to get your mind around what they're doing. Or learn to ignore certain sections of the drums.

Just listen and play along and you'll get it, just make sure you do actually listen rather than just feel the groove and hear.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
As the above guy hinted, practise Bleed. It's great for your right hand. I suggest you to play it with strict alternate picking, that's the way Fredrik Thordendal plays it. Obviously, start super slow.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by Flibo
As the above guy hinted, practise Bleed. It's great for your right hand. I suggest you to play it with strict alternate picking, that's the way Fredrik Thordendal plays it. Obviously, start super slow.

If you want to sound like Meshuggah then I would say practice almost anything in their catalog but Bleed. It's a challenge and will improve your technique and stamina if you can do it but it's anything but typical Meshuggah playing. In all the rest of their catalog there's nothing like it that I'm aware of.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.