I came across a chord in 'Love of My Life', by Queen, and I'm not sure quite what it is.

F#m7-5

I know what an F#m7 is, but what does the '-5' mean? I don't think it means that the 5th is played as the lowest note, as in the music I am looking at, these are written with the / (like D7/A).
It's a flat fifth. In your case, the notes of the chord would be: F# A E C(This is the flat fifth)
Not sure if those are the correct names to give those notes in theory, but I think I made it simple and clear, hope you can get it.
Last edited by Lucas Townshend at Mar 19, 2011,
Quote by kilbie
I came across a chord in 'Love of My Life', by Queen, and I'm not sure quite what it is.

F#m7-5

I know what an F#m7 is, but what does the '-5' mean? I don't think it means that the 5th is played as the lowest note, as in the music I am looking at, these are written with the / (like D7/A).

F#m7b5

F# A C E

Best,

Sean
^Yep. This is called a "half-diminished seventh chord" and can also be notated with a ø (F#ø or F#ø7, both mean the same thing).
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Yeah, I've seen the notation with the line through the circle for half diminished. Thanks everyone for the replies.