About 3 and a half years ago me and my friend started a band, we were both 13 at the time. Now, 3 and a half years later, we're still together, and we've been rather successful. We currently have a decent popularity around our town, we've done a lot of shows, and we're even working on making a full length album. But despite all of that stuff, I still feel like I'm just in some kind of a rut with this band.

One of the main problems is that we have a really bad clash of styles. My style of playing is kind of an indie style while the other guitarist and bassist have a metal style. Our musical tastes also clash a lot. I listen to a lot of indie and other genres like that while the guitarist and bassist are both metalheads and the drummer listens to a lot of mainstream-rock and classic rock. I'm not trying to bash those genres, but they're just not really my style.

Another problem is that we don't write songs that often. In our 3 and a half years we've written about 12 songs. In the past month and a half we've only gotten one new song written and one new song we're still working on. I'm sure a lot of guys are thinking that it's better to have quality over quantity (which is very true), but the reason we're not writing as much songs as we could be is because they wanna learn covers. I know that covers are nice to have in a band because it kinda gives a chance for the audience to pick a song; but it sometimes gets to a point where they put covers over originals. For instance, we recently did a battle of the bands where we had a 30 minute set. We came up with a set list that had 4 originals and 1 cover, but after playing through that set in rehearsal it came out to be longer than 30 minutes. We had to cut out a song and I was suggesting that we cut out our cover of War Pigs because it was taking up 6 minutes and the judges at battle of the bands generally give more points to originals. So which song did we end up cutting? One of our originals, because everyone else wanted to keep the fucking 6 minute cover.

Another problem that's not as bad as the others is that my band mates can sometimes annoy the living shit out of me. Mainly just because of how close minded they can be to music. They'll turn their noses up to any sort of electronic music, because to them, good music can only be made with guitars, basses, and drums. They do a lot of other annoying stuff but there's no real reason to go ranting on that.

I've actually thought about leaving the band, but I can't see myself going through with it. It feels that I've already built up so much with this band and leaving it would just be leaving behind years of work to waist. Also, the thought of them becoming successful and everything without me and never making it myself scares the shit out of me. We're also still really good friends and I don't want to risk losing my best friends because of this.

So what I'm asking is, how can I get through all of these problems we have and still play with them? I've thought about starting a second band that could play more of the style I like, but all the musicians I know are already in bands. I've also thought of joining another band in the area if they needed a guitarist or bassist (I play both) but the opportunity has never come up. So does anyone have any advise on how to get over this?
Last edited by DanBLON00 at Mar 20, 2011,
Have you spoken to them about this? In my opinion be very candid don't be rude but tell them what your ideas are and see if they look at it from your point of view.

As far as the stuff with th cover song and style of music go. Bands tend to be very mob mentality all ou can really do is explain to them how important something is to you. Then hope for the best. If they really don't take your opinion into consideration then it's pretty clearcut

Basically you have to decide on each of these issues. Is it important enough to leave over if these people don't sEe things my way.

Also remember being closed minded is a two way street. Neither party will realistically go all the way to the other point of view. Find some common ground to meet on and meet halfway.

IMO be frank with them if they understand and take your opinion under consideration great if they blow you off hey they aren't that good of friends with you anyway.
How exactly did you get a following when you don't have enough originals to fill up a set?

Otherwise, yes, I'd get frustrated if I was in an originals band for 3 and a half years, and still didn't have at least an hours worth of original material. The differences in music taste between me and my band members is not relevant, as we would have already proved that the styles work well together in the band.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
^ We actually have about 12 originals. I was saying that only in the past month and a half we've only gotten 2 new songs written.
Start a new project if you feel unsatisfied. Some people just need multiple musical outlets. Also, I really wouldn't worry about not making and what not. You're still really young, the world is your oyster man. Besides, do you really want your life dictated by your fears and insecurities?
Quote by Zycho
Start a new project if you feel unsatisfied. Some people just need multiple musical outlets. Also, I really wouldn't worry about not making and what not. You're still really young, the world is your oyster man. Besides, do you really want your life dictated by your fears and insecurities?

This. Plus, things won't go well in the long run if you're unhappy in the band. I'd say for the time being stick with it just a little longer, but if you still aren't happy with the direction the band is going, then maybe you should quit, or take a break. It sounds like you need to work on your own things for now.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Quote by DanBLON00
^ We actually have about 12 originals. I was saying that only in the past month and a half we've only gotten 2 new songs written.

Oh geez, what happened with that Battle of the Bands then?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
^ We were only allowed to have a 30 minute set which I wanted to be an all original set doing 4 of our originals. But we ended up not playing one of our originals so we could do a cover.
Start a second band along the side of the one you're doing now that does a different style. Just make sure they don't clash and you're in the gold.
~
"I'm a musician, what did you expect?"

~