Ok, Instead of giving everyone a couple of amps to critique, here is my situation. I need to downsize from a Marshall JCM 800 100 watt 1/2 stack 2210 model (no I will never sell it) to a smaller combo that will cut through the mix and give me the rich harmonic tone that I need for the music we play. I've tried a few Marshall combo's so far and really dug them but I know that there are other alternatives out there. My band (Spare Parts) plays classic 70's and hard blues on the heavier side. Deep Purple, Blind Faith, ZZ Top, Trower, Hendrix etc. On my current budget I can go as high as $800. I have a Carvin Legacy V2x12 100 watt combo right now but I'm just not feeling it if you know what I mean. It sounds a little bassy at times no matter how much I crank the highs and lower the bass. I use a EJ Strat and Gibson LP 57RI Gold Top. I've tried lots of amps but I would like to know if I could get some input from all of you amp guru's out there? Thanks and Rock on!
Fargen Mini Plex.

Does the 800 tone better than the 800 does it
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Fargen Mini Plex.

Does the 800 tone better than the 800 does it

If only he could afford one.
Quote by Sputnik1
If only he could afford one.

He can afford a used MKI
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you like the amp, how bout just run it through a 1x12 cab instead?

Or maybe get a Marshall Haze cab? I wouldn't crank it over 5 with that, but it might work for you.

In really small venues lots of times I'll play my JVM-410H direct through the 10" speaker in my crappy ole MG30DFX. I keep the MV at 3 or less, but it still blasts and sounds almost as good as the 1960a cab at those volumes. Plenty for a small club or if I mic'd it at a bigger venue. Plus it all fits in the trunk, so if we're not bringing the digital drums along, then we can leave the trailer in storage. Don't think the Haze would fit in my trunk, though.

I know several pros who use a full-size head through a 1x12 cab in small venues.
^Haze cabs are junk.

The Transatlantic is nice, as is pretty much anything by Blackstar.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by Darkflame
Traynor YCV40wr ? :-)
maybe you could try a Vox ac30? not quite like the jcm800, but can work just as well =)

Have not tried a Vox AC30 but I will this week. Saw some great reviews and video's. Thanks
Quote by Grawgos
Have you given any thought to a speaker swap in the carvin? You might solve your problem a lot cheaper than buying a new amp.

The Carvin has 2- 30 watt celestians in it. What speakers would you suggest I swap with? Thanks
Quote by jlaflamme
The Carvin has 2- 30 watt celestians in it. What speakers would you suggest I swap with? Thanks

Which Celestions does it have? If it all ready has speakers that are not bass heavy, then a speaker swap might not work.

You can make a post in the ultimate speaker thread for a lot more opinions-

Ultimate speaker thread

You can also take a look at Emenince Wizard, swamp thang, governor, black powder or legend 1258.

I freely admit that I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to speakers, so you may want to ask in the speaker thread.
Quote by jlaflamme

Are you sure it doesn't have 2 Vintage 30s?

I find it hard to believe that Carvin would load a 100w combo amp, with speakers that can only handle 60w. That, and the fact that the Legacy cabs and combos all come loaded with V30s in them from the factory...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you try the Haze cab w/your JCM, I'd be curious about your opinion.

We got one guy here (who's younger than my 4x12 cab) and says that the made in India Haze is junk, but doesn't say why, and then recommends something made in Korea.

I only tried the Haze once, and it was hooked up to a Tiny Terror on the main floor at guitar center. So I didn't try stage volumes. It was used, so it may have already been broken in.

There's not a lot of reviews out there on them, but what I have seen have said things like that they sound a lot better once broken in (which is fairly common). Another review said it was made of "chipboard", but I'm not sure I believe that-or know whether they really mean particle board or oriented strand board. Marshall only says it's got "finger-jointed construction" which I've only seen done in cabs when they're made of plywood (usually birch). Not much point in doing that with particle board.

Another comment I read in a review was that it broke up with the volume 1/4 of the way up with a Tiny Terror. That was for a new one, and probably hadn't been broken in yet. I got the one I tried out louder than that in the store and didn't have that problem--maybe the reviewer had it plugged into the wrong ohms output jack?

So it would be nice to get some specific, useful points about this if you happen to check it out.
Quote by jetwash69
If you try the Haze cab w/your JCM, I'd be curious about your opinion.

We got one guy here (who's younger than my 4x12 cab) and says that the made in India Haze is junk, but doesn't say why, and then recommends something made in Korea.

I only tried the Haze once, and it was hooked up to a Tiny Terror on the main floor at guitar center. So I didn't try stage volumes. It was used, so it may have already been broken in.

There's not a lot of reviews out there on them, but what I have seen have said things like that they sound a lot better once broken in (which is fairly common). Another review said it was made of "chipboard", but I'm not sure I believe that-or know whether they really mean particle board or oriented strand board. Marshall only says it's got "finger-jointed construction" which I've only seen done in cabs when they're made of plywood (usually birch). Not much point in doing that with particle board.

Another comment I read in a review was that it broke up with the volume 1/4 of the way up with a Tiny Terror. That was for a new one, and probably hadn't been broken in yet. I got the one I tried out louder than that in the store and didn't have that problem--maybe the reviewer had it plugged into the wrong ohms output jack?

So it would be nice to get some specific, useful points about this if you happen to check it out.

Hello.

The Haze cab is boxy and muffled sounding, and seemed very cheap overall. I plugged the Haze head into a Blackheart cab and the difference was huge.

Please give my condolences to your 4x12 for having to put up with you being a smartass for longer than I have been alive. In my young age I could never have that patience.

Have a nice day
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Thanks, Dylan, that's a lot better.

Wonder if that Haze you tried was broken in or not?

Anyway, don't worry about my 4x12, I've only had 1 one year of that period and besides, it's an inanimate object.

TS is dealing with a 100w amp instead of a 15w amp, so the Haze cab might be a whole different ballpark with his JCM compared to the Haze head. Personally, I haven't dealt with the Haze head yet, but I wasn't impressed with the Haze combo. Didn't try it with pedals, but I like a lot more gain than it puts out.

I've only seen Blackhearts in pawn shops and they didn't work, so I don't have any experience there, but then you mentioned Blackstar in your original post. It would also be helpful to mention a model--sure they don't have as many as Marshall, but if we just said Marshall, then that could range anywhere from the MG (junk) to a 1960 (industry standard).

It's been a long time since I played with the Blackstars--and then I only used those cabs with their headas. I did like it better than the Haze combo. Having only played the Haze cab through a Tiny Terror, and about a year later, I really wouldn't be able to compare it to the Blackstar.

The Haze has a 12" 66w Celestion speaker; wonder what speaker(s) the Blackheart, --or the Blackstar for that matter-- has. If it has a lower wattage rating then it might sound a lot better with a low-wattage head like the Haze, but not as good as the Haze with a higher wattage amp like TS's JCM.

Anyway, if you don't have the patience for people calling you out, then you may want to consider being more diplomatic when commenting on other people's posts. Judging by your sig, this isn't your first run-in on the internets.

Have a good one, yourself.
Thanks for all the input guys. First off, the Carvin does have V30's, my mistake. My whole point is to downsize and make it easier for transport issues, so just adding smaller cabs for the head is still too much. I'm going to GC in Manchester Ct this week to try lots of amps. By the way, this GC is one of the oldest around and has tons of used stuff. I love Marshall amps and I am leaning towards staying with Marshall if possible but with some of your suggestions and some research these are the combo's I will be trying. Peavey Classic Series, Vox ACC30, Hughes & Kettner Statesman, Crate V Series, Marshall JCM and DSL.
Quote by jlaflamme
My whole point is to downsize and make it easier for transport issues, so just adding smaller cabs for the head is still too much.

Oh, OK. What about a Spidervalve? JK :-)

Seriously, the only combo I've been totally impressed with was an old Mesa Mark IV--maybe they're a little out of your range (seen 'em used for as low as $1,000).

But I do know a guy who plays the same stuff you do; he got tired of lugging around some Fender tweed amp and he got a Mustang II. Ater hearing it on stage the first time, I couldn't believe it when he told me what it was. It had the coolest tone I'd ever heard for slide work. It was plenty loud unmiked and held it's own against accoustic drums and a hand-wired 80w Fender Twin clone in that small club.

I played around with a Mustang III in GC; while I liked some of the tones (much better than the Vypyrs & Valvekings I had been checking out), I didn't like the interface. The Mustang II doesn't try to do as much as the III, which is a good thing, 'cause I'd rather have pedals or a good MFX for that anyway.

The HD500 would be a great choice, too, if you have a decent PA rig and/or play houses with good setups. It might mess y'all up monitor-wise in some houses, though. Also for most bands' PA systems. Might even be worth spending the leftover cash on in-ear monitoring for yourself.
Quote by jetwash69
Oh, OK. What about a Spidervalve? JK :-)

Seriously, the only combo I've been totally impressed with was an old Mesa Mark IV--maybe they're a little out of your range (seen 'em used for as low as $1,000).

But I do know a guy who plays the same stuff you do; he got tired of lugging around some Fender tweed amp and he got a Mustang II. Ater hearing it on stage the first time, I couldn't believe it when he told me what it was. It had the coolest tone I'd ever heard for slide work. It was plenty loud unmiked and held it's own against accoustic drums and a hand-wired 80w Fender Twin clone in that small club.

I played around with a Mustang III in GC; while I liked some of the tones (much better than the Vypyrs & Valvekings I had been checking out), I didn't like the interface. The Mustang II doesn't try to do as much as the III, which is a good thing, 'cause I'd rather have pedals or a good MFX for that anyway.

The HD500 would be a great choice, too, if you have a decent PA rig and/or play houses with good setups. It might mess y'all up monitor-wise in some houses, though. Also for most bands' PA systems. Might even be worth spending the leftover cash on in-ear monitoring for yourself.

I use my HD500 with a small evans amplifier. Their clean channel is the most transparent sound possible which makes them not ideal with the hd500. I loop my signal straight to the front and back to the pod so I can use the evans clean, or skip it and just use the power amp for the high gain amp models. Their RE200 is very portable, and sounds gorgeous on its own even. Its pricey but there is no better clean channel imo