Ok, what I've been doing lately is to have the verse intro etc in clean acoustic and then the chorus in drop d distorted to get a heavy feel. BUT I compose the melody in acoustic then transfer it to proper drop d chords.

Is this an efficient method, or any better ideas ?
The thing you have to realize about standard tuning and any drop tuning is that they are two different beasts entirely. But, if you want more of a heavier sound you could try tuning the standard tuning down itself, to tunings like D-standard ("Come as you Are" and pretty much all the songs on Nirvana's MTV unplugged.) Or something like C-standard (This is the tuning that A Perfect Cirlce uses) There's a plethora of possibilities when it comes to tuning. I personally play in both standard and drop-D a lot, I prefer Drop-d for the heavier stuf, but you might be surprised the mellow rhythms you could create with it. Drop-D is the reference all the heavy metal bands refer to. At least in technique. Hope this helped. :O
What about an open D (DADF#AD) tuning for the acoustic.? Your 4th, 5th and 6th strings will remain the same when transposed, which I'm guessing is where majority of your riffs will be played. The open tuning means you can still have full open chords too, a win win situation if you ask me.
Quote by Metal Tiger
Ok, what I've been doing lately is to have the verse intro etc in clean acoustic and then the chorus in drop d distorted to get a heavy feel. BUT I compose the melody in acoustic then transfer it to proper drop d chords.

Is this an efficient method, or any better ideas ?

I don't see the problem here - it's only the bottom string changing.

I could see it being a little more confusing if you were dropping all the strings down, and definitely confusing if you were using an open tuning. But switching between drop D and standard all you need to do is transpose any notes on the bottom string by 2 frets, nothing else changes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com